Public Breastfeeding: Whip It Out!

A breast-feeding mother fights back.

The mother of a 7-year-old infant (NOT the mother in the above picture) is furious she was asked to move to a restroom to feed her ravenous offspring because she was “offending a security guard.”

Equally outraged is Lucy Koteen of La Leche League, a breast-feeding advocacy group, who told The New York Daily News, “Asking her to go into the bathroom is unacceptable. Do they eat their lunch in the bathroom?”

Why are people so uptight in this country? Can't we be more like our cousins across the pond? In the UK today, a mother pig was photographed by a male passerby nursing nine of her piglets. In fact, this bold pig sat down right in the middle of the road to nourish her brood. No one suggested SHE move. Who would dare? She’s got NINE kids. And that’s a lot of sore nipples.

next: Trade in Your Man for a Mac
Anonymous July 29, 2008, 12:17 PM

7 /YEAR/ old infant? LMAO.

Monique February 12, 2009, 8:02 AM

Breast feeding a 7 year old is not healthy, it’s incest.

k February 13, 2009, 6:58 PM

7 years old is not an infant
It’s a kid in school; infant NO.
If I wanted to act like people across
“the pond” (UK) I’d move there.
I agree with Monique.

Julie March 18, 2009, 12:23 AM

Uhh…should that read “7 month old”? I breast fed my daughter for 2 1/2 years. Some think that’s too long but I’m not sure there is a perfect length of time or a correct time to stop breast feeding. That said, seven YEARS seems too long for the developed western world.

Meaghan March 19, 2009, 9:22 PM

Just because 7 years is not the norm to breastfeed in our society DOES NOT mean that it is incest. That is just more ignorance about breastfeeding.

brip March 25, 2009, 12:59 PM

WOW… i really hope that was meant to say “7-month-old” but anyway, you can not compare a person eating their lunch with breastfeeding. People do not have to get “half-naked” to eat a burger! I believe breastfeeding is a good thing, but if you are offending someone, move! Noone is going to ask a pig to move, so how can you compare yourself with a pig??? Do you have that low of a self-worth??? What needs to happen is mother’s should be more aware of their surroundings and cover up and the government should make more breastfeeding areas for nursing women. That way noone can be offended.

Jessica May 6, 2009, 10:46 PM

How sad to sit in a bathroom and nurse..I did this once in my 5 years of nursing 3 of my children. I then decided it was disgusting to make my baby eat in the bathroom. What a shame the security guard thinks breasts cant be used for feeding.why is it gross? it should be gross that he was looking and then judging.

Christine May 20, 2009, 1:01 PM

Most moms are discreet. Get over it.

Nicole May 22, 2009, 4:43 PM

“…government should make more breastfeeding areas for nursing women. That way noone can be offended.”

Except the mother brip. I would be sorely offended to have to hide while I breastfeed my daughter. When are people going to stop seeing breasts as a sexual symbol and recognize them for what they were first and foremost for - providing nutrients to our offspring?

I don’t need to compare to anything to get my point across. When my daughter is hungry, she has a right to be fed. As her mother, it is my duty, responsibility and GIFT to feed her.

business communication January 3, 2011, 8:31 AM

You completed some nice points there. I did a search on the subject and found most persons will agree with your blog.