Clinton Campaigns for Autism Awareness

Holly Robinson Peete and other celebs applaud her efforts.

hrpclinton.jpg

In a speech this weekend in Sioux City, Iowa, Clinton criticized the current administration's policy on autism and pledged to raise $700 million if elected. "Driven by their love and devotion, mothers and fathers across the country have raised awareness, demanded funding, and opened our eyes to the needs of so many children," Clinton said.

With 25,000 children being diagnosed with autism each year, it's about time someone stepped out in support of research and education. And in recent months, celebrity moms like Holly Robinson Peete and Jenny McCarthy have spoken publicly in order to help raise awareness. We reached out to Holly, and she had this to say about Senator Clinton.

"I applaud Senator Clinton for speaking out on the autism issue. The insane number of children affected (1 in 150) cannot be ignored by our government any longer. These staggering stats are higher than all other childhood diseases and disorders combined. Where is the urgency?? We are not moving fast enough.  Autism takes such a tremendous toll on American families on many levels: emotionally, physically, spiritually, financially. Families need help now.  I only hope other elected officials join Hillary in making the autism epidemic the front burner issue it deserves to be."

next: Mmm Baby!
Pat Doing January 18, 2008, 4:49 PM

I really appreciate Senator Clintons talk on Autism,as my Granson who is 12yr is Autistic,and what it takes is 24/7. More research needs to be done,and I believe Hilliary is the one to get it done.
Thanks

Pat Doing January 18, 2008, 4:50 PM

Thanks

Pat Doing January 18, 2008, 4:51 PM

Thanks

PEGGY jOHNSON January 19, 2008, 4:22 PM

It makes me unhappy and sad to think that this country waists so much money on unnecessary projects when we need to take care of our own. I don’t trust so many of the congressmen that put pork barrel into worthwhile bills only to have them killed.Why have we become so selfish that learned people have become so rotten that all they think about is themselves for political reasons.

Michelle Benavidez March 5, 2008, 10:12 AM

With Hilary Clinton as our president, I know in fact she can get it done. She never backs down to anyone or any issue that comes her way. I have a son who is 12 years old with Autism, and it is just crazy that the government just pushes the issues on Autism aside. I know I am pushing my Congressman to fight for our kids, because some of them don’t speak at all, so without their parents fighting for them, who will. But I back Clinton 100% because financially it is so difficult, and Insurance companies don’t want to pay.

ALEXA CINTRON March 6, 2008, 12:18 PM

I STRONGLY AGREE WITH ALL THE PARENTS I WILL BACK UP CLINTON A 100% AUTISM SPEAKS I AM ALSO A PARENT OF A 6YR OLD SON WITH AUTISM WHICH I LOVE TO DEATH.