Could You Give Up Your Four-Year-Old?

Boys switched at birth return to their biological families four years later.

kidsleeping.jpg

It's unimaginable--finding out years after giving birth that the baby you've been raising as your own is, in fact, not. This just happened to two families--one from Turkey, the other from Saudi Arabia. The Turkish father questioned the identity of his son from the very beginning but was disregarded until recently. After taking a DNA test, they traveled to Saudi Arabia and found their biological son, according to World Bulletin.

Could you give up your son?

next: Moms are Talking About...
Anonymous November 11, 2007, 8:35 PM

I could never give my daughter back. She was mine from the second I saw her, whether I gave birth to her or not.

Anonymous April 2, 2009, 9:04 PM

i wouldnt ever be able to raise a child thinking it was mine for years, and then have to give that child up, whether it was mine or not

Anonymous April 2, 2009, 9:20 PM

IT is really a shame that had to happen , but remember we are only human. but there is no way i would give up my child that was put into my arms as a baby weather it is my blood or not.

ANONYMOUS April 2, 2009, 9:41 PM

I absolutely could not return the child I raised for four years. Parenting is caring for a child, loving that child through sickness and joys.

Anonymous April 2, 2009, 10:15 PM

I can’t imagine giving up my beautiful, funny, and sweet 5 year old son if someone told me he wasn’t really mine. I would rather get run over by a truck.

Liz April 2, 2009, 10:37 PM

This must be a hard decision to make when you are put in that position. But I think if I were put through it I would not want to give my child back! The news of finding out the child you have raised is not yours and have to give them back is probably close to finding out your child has died!!!

Anonymous April 2, 2009, 10:44 PM

I would always love the child that I raised for four years.If I could keep them both I would, but I would want my baby back. I would not be able to deal with the idea of someone else raising my flesh and blood. What if he ended up having an awful life because I didn’t take him back. I would not forgive myself.

Anonymous April 2, 2009, 11:40 PM

i am presently pregnant and i have two boys ages 6 and 5 and i could NEVER give up my boys. if God forbid i ever found out they werent mine by some crazy misfortune i wouldnt swap them,, they were the loves of my life since the minute, no, the second i saw them. and this baby too. my heart and prayers go out to those families.

NANCY April 3, 2009, 12:30 AM

IT TAKES MORE THAN CARRYING AND GIVING BIRTH TO A BABY TO BE A PARENT.IT’S THE BOND YOU GET BY BEING THERE EVERY DAY AND NIGHT, FOR THE GOOD AND BAD TIMES, THAT CHILD WOULD BE MINE, NO MATTER WHAT A DNA SAY’S……

Anonymous April 3, 2009, 12:50 AM

I am a mother of both an adopted child and two biological children. ALL three are my children and love them same. Giving birth is not what makes you a good mother. It is the love and time you invest your baby. There is no way I would ever give up one of my children just because of a mistake.

anonymous April 3, 2009, 1:18 AM

Blood is thicker than water. It seems like hell to find out your child is not really yours. I will still be willing to take mine back yet love the one I raised who goes back to his or her real blood (mother).

Kelly April 3, 2009, 5:41 AM

I don’t actually have any children but 2 & 4 year old nieces, if I found out tomorrow that one of them wasn’t really my “biological” niece, it wouldn’t make me love them any less, blood & dna do not make a family..

Carol April 3, 2009, 6:08 AM

I think that if I were ever in that situation that I would try to make the best of it by getting to know the other family and possibly come to some kind of solution to where we could all be close enough to where it wouldn’t affect the kids as much. Kind of like a blended or extended family. This way the kids still would have the family that they started out loving and would still have their biological families to come to love as well.

Kathy April 3, 2009, 4:25 PM

It troubles me that this question always involves MY love for the child or MY flesh and blood. What about the little boys who were torn away from their families and put with strangers? At this age, that will have permanent effects. If I were in this situation, I wouldn’t want to be separated from the child I had loved and cared for, but more than that, I wouldn’t want my biological child to be traumatized by being ripped from his family.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 8:16 PM

Good information! Enjoyable and fun reading. I just have one observation to make about funny shirts.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:15 AM

I’m glad, that i found your site, there are a couple of cool articles