Where are the hidden dangers in your house?
A 5-year-old Virginia girl was crushed to death after a dresser holding a TV fell over and landed on top of her. The young girl had tried to turn up the volume on the set, the Associated Press reports.
Furniture tip-overs are responsible for an average of 22 deaths per year, most of them children, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
We asked Mom•Logic friend Safety Dad to highlight some of the most dangerous scenarios at home.
• Toilets: Parents of small children need toilet seat locks. Kids can drown in inches of water. They're fascinated by water, and it's easy to fall into the toilet. And small children don't have the strength to push themselves out.
• White tips on door stops: Kids can choke on these. They're easy for kids to pull off and put in their mouths.
• Changing tables and nightstands: When parents pull on the drawers, they're shocked to see how fast a nightstand can come crashing down due to the shift in weight.
• Shredders: Many parents have home offices that are either in common areas or remain unlocked. Paper shredders don't have child locks on them, and tiny fingers can fit right in.
• Cords for blinds: Kids get caught up in hanging cords and run the risk of strangulation.
• Water coolers: If a child pushes the cooler, it rocks back and forth and could fall over, either crushing a child or scalding them with hot water.