Hackers Invade Webkinz Universe

Kids are devastated when their virtual worlds are destroyed.

webkinz_logo_pets_180x180.jpg

If you have children in school, chances are you're all too familiar with Webkinz. It's a virtual world where kids spend countless hours earning virtual money, and then spend it on designing their own online home. Kids in Nashville have been the victims of a virtual home invasion, according to local TV station WSMV.

Jesse Shafer spent a year on his virtual home until it was completely destroyed. But he wasn't alone. Everyone at school was also being robbed.

While researching this story, we discovered countless Web sites that actually encourage and teach kids how to hack into sites like Webkinz and Club Penguin and delete innocent users' "homes." What are our kids being taught—that after hours of hard work in building something they love, that it can be taken away at a moment's notice?

Sounds like a harsh lesson for such small people. What do you tell your kids when people do bad things? Go to the Mom•Logic community and tell your story, or comment below.

next: Top 5 Thanksgiving Kitchen Gadgets
Paul November 18, 2007, 9:48 PM

Last year, my son was very excited to join club penguin. he did and then one day, he noticed some of his coins were gone. and then the next day, again, more were gone. i don’t think it was hackers but don’t realy know … he never played again.

Beth November 18, 2007, 10:53 PM

What kind of a person would hack into a kids web game?

Ally November 19, 2007, 5:22 AM

My daughter’s rooms were totally gone and all her webkinz cash, too. we thought someone she knew (child) did it….now I’m wondering!???

KATY November 30, 2007, 5:52 PM

I was hacked! They stole my Police Car, Glam botique sighn,Beagle Tred meel,etc…

jeff December 1, 2007, 1:29 PM

on webkinz one day are cheeky monkey had clones in every room!

jeff December 1, 2007, 1:29 PM

on webkinz one day are cheeky monkey had clones in every room!

Vikki January 26, 2008, 1:42 PM

I lovv webkinz and i have 15 and i don`t wan them to get hurt and i have a lot of kinzcash and i don`t want it to be gone

bobby January 29, 2008, 8:28 PM

all the kids at school say they are scaird and dnt clickon the red box or else and one kid said that their friends died because of that

karen February 1, 2008, 4:10 PM

my little girl LOVES her webkinz and one day she got on and she said that she saw another webkinz walking around in her home on webkinz. so she followed it………BANG her webkinz was shot! so i guess they have a dr. so she went and the dr. shot it too! what kind of person does that to a child’s website???????!!!!!!!

leighAnna February 8, 2008, 6:49 PM

This is really sad. It happend to me I was on webkinz and then I had mail it said to be suprisin! so i thought that i had a gift so i opend it the lights went out i heard deep breathing funky music and clicking and then a chainsaw and then a gun and then a sword!the lights turned back on and my webkinz was gone exept for alot of blood!

leighAnna February 8, 2008, 6:51 PM

help! get my webkinz back for me! It is a black and white cat!

ghuuu February 10, 2008, 12:38 PM

someone hacked my account and stole ALL of my exclusive items.i know who did it,and want to hack her account for REVENGE!!!Dont be friends with paulareally101.she hacked 2 people’s accounts so far….Where does she learn to do this?????

nick February 15, 2008, 9:46 PM

im scared i love webkinz and i dont want it to get killed

leighAnna February 16, 2008, 11:52 AM

Karen you are not a mom, you are just a kid.

a mad mom March 7, 2008, 1:28 PM

My daughter spent her allowance on nearly 30 Webkinz and received some as gifts. Her account has been hacked and cleaned out. What a crappy thing to do to a kid!!! I’m livid that someone would do this for fun, and worse yet is that Ganz doesn’t seem to care. Jerks all around!!!!!!!!!!!

Steph March 27, 2008, 10:28 PM

I have 4 kids they all have webkinz. 3 of their accounts have been hacked. They take all of their items clean out every room even the garden. Then they spend all of their money. Each time we try to log in our password has been changed. It is pretty pathetic. These people need to get a life. I am about done wasting my money on webkinz.

Mindy April 16, 2008, 2:32 PM

My daughter tried to log into her webkinz account only to find her password was changed buy some unknown person. We cannot reset it because she lost the code. I find it hard to believe that I cannot even contact Ganz to resolve the problem. There is no where on the site that allows you to contact them unless you have your password and code!!

Sarah April 30, 2008, 10:39 PM

guys this whole webkinz thing is all a myth if u don’t believe me go to snopes.com.Ganz said that your webkinz can not die so don’t believe that they will they have people working day and night to make sure NOBODY gets past the fire wall.This rumor has been going around for two years now and it’s just plain ridiculouse!

bob June 1, 2008, 6:03 PM

its true it happened to one of my sisters friend

Lucy July 22, 2008, 2:15 PM

ONce when i logged onto webkinz world,i saw another webkinz in my room and there was a evelope on floor so i clicked on it and suddenly the screen went blank and then i saw my webkinz health was down to 25!