Breastfeeding BAD for Kids? That's a Switch!

Just when you thought, “breast is best”- along comes news that’ll make you want to pop your boob back in your nursing bra.

A German study released yesterday found that mothers who breastfeed increase the risk that their child will be overweight. Wait, we thought breastfeeding was “Nature’s Perfect Food!?” Those La Leche League woman who burst into our delivery rooms told us so! Not to mention the endless news stories; in the past year alone, we've heard that breastfeeding can protect babies from:

• gastrointestinal trouble
• allergies
• ear infections
• childhood leukemia
• type 1 diabetes
• respiratory problems
• SIDS
• high blood pressure

And of course those reports that breastfeeding makes kids smarter and better at macramé - okay, we made that one up. Yet, according to statistics 26 percent of Moms never breastfeed at all, and more than 59 percent of Moms who do breastfeed give it up in less than six months. But not the mom in this video, which made us laugh out loud.

next: Halloween-Themed Baskets Recalled Due to Lead
dori November 19, 2007, 1:41 PM

When nature gives them teeth its time to move on.

April November 19, 2007, 4:03 PM

If they’re old enough to ask for it, they’re too old for it! I’m all for breastfeeding, and I think one year is the maximum.

Alissa November 19, 2007, 6:29 PM

The U.S. is one of the only places in the world where breastfeeding is done for such a sadly short amount of time. Experts around the globe, including the AAP, Canadian Academy of Pediatrics, WHO and UNICEF all recommend at least two years. The physical and emotional benefits to babies AND toddlers are well documented. Get over your guilt/wierd insecurities and leave those of us who do the right thing alone.

dani December 8, 2007, 11:27 AM

My daughter is going on 9 months old and I am still nursing her. I don’t care that she has teeth. She doesn’t bite me with them. In fact- If the baby is properly latched on there you should never even feel their teeth.
Furthermore- I am going to continue to breastfeed untill she is 2, or stops wanting it.
Its her right to decide when she is ready to move on.

Nancy March 6, 2008, 8:02 PM

It should never be about what other people think. It should be about what is right for your child. My son is about 13 months old and has shown no signs of wanting to stop breastfeeding. I will stop when he is ready, regardless of what others think.

Nancy March 6, 2008, 8:04 PM

Nancy March 6, 2008, 8:05 PM

Ruth June 7, 2010, 10:37 PM

I love breastfeeding my baby is 7 mnths old and he is very healthy he has never been sick!!! I will stop breastfeeding when he wants too. If he’s healthy that’s all that matters.