Exclusive: Teen Sex in Schools, Part One

Momvestigation: A national momlogic survey has found that one in five kids has witnessed sex at school.

"One couple at my school gets it on during lunch right near where my friends and I sit. Especially when the girl wears a skirt. It's pretty unappetizing, especially when I'm trying to eat." -- Aubrey, 15, Seattle

Over the past few months, we've been hearing news reports of kids having sex in school -- in the classroom, the school bathroom, even on the bus. As these stories became more and more frequent, we began to wonder if these were isolated incidents or part of a disturbing national trend. We consulted our friends at CosmoGirl! and the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, and they'd been wondering the same thing. So we decided to do a national survey on sex in schools -- the first study of its kind to be conducted in the United States. We surveyed 500 kids aged 12-17 from around the country. And what we found was shocking: One in five kids has witnessed sex in school.

One in five! Over the next few days, you're going to hear from teens who've seen their friends and classmates having sex at school. You'll also hear from kids who've actually had sex on school grounds. Experts who work with teens on a daily basis -- such as psychologist and momlogic friend Pamela Varady -- will offer advice on how to talk to your tween or teen about staying safe and making smart choices. In this landmark three-part series, our exclusive Momvestigation explores this alarming epidemic. Is your child having sex in school?

Coming Monday: Hear from kids who've seen it firsthand.

About the Experts ...
spacer dr shannon fox
Susan Schulz is
editor-in-chief of CosmoGIRL!
magazine.
rabbi sherre hirsch
Dr. Pamela Varady is a licensed clinical psychologist, couples' therapist and parent educator based in Venice, California.

spacer

next: Anyone Want to Play Chicken...Pox?
tom November 30, 2007, 10:18 AM

hello moms- I am a dad who just contacted my son’s school about some teens having sex in school and the school just blew it off as teens just spreading gossip! I could not believe it!

Sarah November 30, 2007, 10:23 AM

My mom is a middle school teacher and she has witnessed some of these acts. It is a scary thing when kids don’t care enough about getting in trouble, that they fondle and grope each other in the presence of an authority figure. I think it’s a good thing to let parents know exactly what’s been going on in schools around the country. Thank You.

mary November 30, 2007, 10:33 AM

My 15 year old daughter tells me she sees it happen everyday. The most open place is underneath the stairs, but other places like the bathroom and the stadium. I am a parent on the school advisory committee and I’ve told administration. There are cameras everywhere, so they must have been aware of this, but it still continues.

Ron Boucher November 30, 2007, 10:38 AM

Give me a break. You’ve got Cosmogirl and Seventeen pumping these images out there and now you are outraged? No credibility. I especially like on Cosmogirl.com the current “Hook a Hottie” promo that’s going on. Nice job. Way to do your part.

Anonymous November 30, 2007, 10:38 AM

Wow, this is an AMAZING study. Great job.

Jenny November 30, 2007, 10:40 AM

Thank you, Momlogic, for doing this survey. I have heard about this but the statistic 1 in 5 shocks me. I plan to talk to my 14 year old about this tonight.

Neighborhood Mom November 30, 2007, 10:46 AM

Society is not stepping up. Parents need talk with the children about love and sex. I talk with my children and the friends constantly about how sex is giving part of your soul away to someone. I say talk with the children who you are in contact with let them know they are more in this world then a sex toy. Life is to short to give everything you are to everyone you meet.

Anonymous November 30, 2007, 10:48 AM

You really think your kids are going to buy “giving your soul away”??

lovin mommy5 November 30, 2007, 10:49 AM

What if the ages ranged from 7-17? Is younger than 12 too young to survey? Sadly enough, I was told by a 10 year old that she knew what oral sex was and she told me why she wouldn’t “That is gross!! Don’t worry about me!” She also told me that a little girl in the neighborhood, age 7, started doing it to older boys. She even said older girls do it to younger boys. Another thing that worried me she talked so calmly about it. She made me believe that the the children were laughing about it. Were they not scared? So I guess the question I have to ask IS THIS HAPPENING EVERYWHERE AT THE AGES OF 7-11 AS WELL AS 12-17

gf November 30, 2007, 11:21 AM

I have heard about sexual activity in schools, by teens, through my religion nearly 2 years ago. I did not want to believe it. I have since heard similar stories, from an eye witness who works at a junior high school. I thank you for bringing this information out to those who believe we are alarmists. Our children need us.

Janice November 30, 2007, 12:10 PM

I’m a mom of four, ages 6-16, you must talk to your childern about sex. Most childern think sex is cool and that everyone is duing it. Where i live childern have sex in school all the time. They due it on patio’s restroom’s, classroom’s, on the bus, even in front of other childern. WE MUST TALK TO OUR CHILDERN.

jo November 30, 2007, 12:14 PM

SCARY

Janice November 30, 2007, 12:23 PM

I’m a mom of four ages 6-16. I talk to my childern all the time about sex. Where I live childern are having sex in school all the time. They think it’s cool and that everyone is duing it. It’s been in the paper that they have sex on patio’s, in bathroom’s,classroom’s,on the bus, ect.We’ve even had 13 yr. olds go to school and check out to have sex. WE MUST TALK TO OUR CHILDERN.

mom of 4 November 30, 2007, 12:23 PM

You’ve got to do more than talk to your kids about sex. You have to model appropriate behavior for them. Parents themselves have cheapened sex in their own relationships. Sex, in the appropriate context, is a wonderful, awesome thing. These kids today see it as self gratifying and a cheap thing. It somehow bumps them up a notch in the social coolness ladder. They don’t understand the emotional connection that occurs after you have sex with someone. Thanks to the media that they see and hear, they’re only doing what they’ve been told is cool…afterall, Hollywood sleeps around. Parents—WAKE UP!

mom of 4 November 30, 2007, 12:24 PM

yourmomthatswhy November 30, 2007, 12:25 PM

OMG. Although I thoroughly believe that we as parents need to know whats going on with our kids, it seems to me what should bother us most is that its happening to someone else’s child. If its happening with them… its going on with ours too. Also… “giving your soul away?” Really? Lets at least be realistic. If your kids know more about sex than you do…. you’ve lost the battle!!

mom of 4 November 30, 2007, 12:26 PM

RealityHitsHard November 30, 2007, 12:28 PM

I am a mother of a daughter whom lost her virginity in the BOYS’ BATHROOM! To make it worse, she got a STD from this guy. Please keep up this exposure. We, as parents, need guidance as well as our children. Thank you for revealing the REAL TRUTH!

Terry November 30, 2007, 12:30 PM

Reinstate prayer in school, repeal roe vs. wade, ban planned parenthood from subverting and undermining the parents authority over their children and giving underage children pills, condoms ect. and there will be a change in our school system. Re-establish family values and family times and there will be a change.

T.C. November 30, 2007, 12:34 PM

I’m shock at the stats of this behavior IN SCHOOL! During active times throughout the day. Thank God someone is concerned about our childrens behavior. It’s imperative for parents to build a relationship with their children, whether they run to embrace you or flee at the sight of your concern. It will pay-off in the end. I have a son and there’s always a concern. I’ve continually shared to use wisdom in his choices of friends. Remind him of STD’s that are incurable and the extreme delay of his future goals should he engage and a child is birthed. Talk parents!! Talk!