Exclusive: Teen Sex in Schools, Part One

Momvestigation: A national momlogic survey has found that one in five kids has witnessed sex at school.

"One couple at my school gets it on during lunch right near where my friends and I sit. Especially when the girl wears a skirt. It's pretty unappetizing, especially when I'm trying to eat." -- Aubrey, 15, Seattle

Over the past few months, we've been hearing news reports of kids having sex in school -- in the classroom, the school bathroom, even on the bus. As these stories became more and more frequent, we began to wonder if these were isolated incidents or part of a disturbing national trend. We consulted our friends at CosmoGirl! and the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, and they'd been wondering the same thing. So we decided to do a national survey on sex in schools -- the first study of its kind to be conducted in the United States. We surveyed 500 kids aged 12-17 from around the country. And what we found was shocking: One in five kids has witnessed sex in school.

One in five! Over the next few days, you're going to hear from teens who've seen their friends and classmates having sex at school. You'll also hear from kids who've actually had sex on school grounds. Experts who work with teens on a daily basis -- such as psychologist and momlogic friend Pamela Varady -- will offer advice on how to talk to your tween or teen about staying safe and making smart choices. In this landmark three-part series, our exclusive Momvestigation explores this alarming epidemic. Is your child having sex in school?

Coming Monday: Hear from kids who've seen it firsthand.

About the Experts ...
spacer dr shannon fox
Susan Schulz is
editor-in-chief of CosmoGIRL!
magazine.
rabbi sherre hirsch
Dr. Pamela Varady is a licensed clinical psychologist, couples' therapist and parent educator based in Venice, California.

spacer

next: Anyone Want to Play Chicken...Pox?
trilok September 16, 2008, 4:03 AM

I SARCH ONE WOMEN WHO SEX OWN SON IN REALLY I NEED THAT ONE WOMEN U KNOW U SENS REPOT TO ME TRILOK2510@YAHOOO.COM

anonoymous January 23, 2009, 7:37 PM

this seems strange to me that this is happening im a 13 year old and i had no idea about this yea i heard about an occasional situatin or 2 but i never witnessed it or had a friend tell me anything about this. i think this is over exxagerated. but this is happening in high school just at my middle school (and my middle school is ghetto) i never hear this

some kid March 2, 2009, 12:08 AM

Seriously, parents… There’s almost no need to go overboard about talking to us kids about sex. Kids my age are seriously worried about STI/STDs, and other assorted crap. About the age thing- WHO CARES? Think… At what age did YOU lose your virginity? Anyway, it’s awkward for everyone, and a wste of time.

Counsel April 15, 2010, 5:59 AM

Sure, it goes on. Society markets sex everywhere—Television, movies, music, etc. Do you really expect kids not to “try it out” when we buy into the myth?

If kids had more parent time and more confidence, I don’t think they’d go out and look for acceptance and pleasure from sex with “that person” at school…

sexteen May 13, 2010, 4:59 AM

Narcs

jackattack August 21, 2010, 7:13 PM

This video and all those comments are pathetic.

First of all, this whole thing is a lie. Surveys show that less than half of ALL the teenagers in the U.S has ever had sex. That includes 18-19 year olds.

And this thing is telling me that ONE in FIVE has SEEN sex in SCHOOL???? That is bullsh!t right there. I’ve been in bad public schools and less than 7 percent of kids in the Middle School I was in did it.

How are they getting those stupid statistics? Did they ask kids? Did they ask the kids to fill out some stupid forms? Of Course Teenagers are going to spread gossip and say that they have seen people have sex. I mean, really? Are those idiots really going to take what Middle Schoolers say seriously? Taking it seriously is dumb. This whole 1/5 thing is based on what middle school boys have been telling us. It is NOT credible.

And really, having sex in the hallway and the bus? There are cameras in hallways and busses. You think the bus driver is just going to let kids have sex on her bus and not do anything about it? You expect me to believe that kind of sh!t?

And then classrooms? LMFAO.

Not to mention most of those so called “parents” who have posted above me are probably just some 14-year old loser who have nothing better to do. Parents are not going to come to a site to tell everyone that their 12 year old daughter lost her virginity in a boy’s bathroom. Get a life guys.

jackattack August 21, 2010, 7:15 PM

This video and all those comments are pathetic.

And then classrooms? LMFAO.

kalaca August 21, 2010, 7:19 PM

Those kids are lying. I know what a bad public school is like and I’m pretty damn sure kids don’t have sex in classrooms and buses. At least not as much as they claim. Most people lie about having sex to stir up controversy and upset. Don’t buy their crap. And yea like the guy before me said, most of those ‘concerned parents’ that have posted in the previous pages are just some sexualy frustrated kids with nothing better to do.

Lissy September 10, 2010, 8:34 PM

i admit it, i’ve had sex at school before. i dont regret it, and i’m not gonna stop. im 12, ive been doin this for about a year, the feeling is so good and i can’t help myself anymore.

britney September 10, 2010, 8:52 PM

i agree with lissy, im not afraid to tell u tht, or anyone else either! i have sex in school all the time! and i’m not some sexually challenged teenager either! imma mother, and a child.

cameron October 28, 2010, 11:43 AM

hey im in the 7 th grade and i see girls pulling the guys in to empty hallways and during class under the desks u dont whant to know what happens!our school is vary sexual(talk and play)its mostly becouse at our age thats all we think about and evenchaly somethings bound to happen, i mean i look over in englesh and my best friends getting a hand job! its crazy

Pharmc38 December 13, 2010, 6:42 AM

Hello! dbbfdaa interesting dbbfdaa site!

Hello Kitty Roller Rescue Game December 30, 2010, 9:58 PM

Could I make a suggestion? I’m sure youve had something great above. Yet imagine if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or even you could provide us with more information to check out, something that might associate what you’re talking about, something concrete?

MCAT practice tests January 1, 2011, 10:14 AM

Hello there I am keeping getting a problems with browsing your site, I am having 505 errors extremely often, I’m not far too certain as to the reasons however when I refresh the webpage it comes okay.

Elena Chermak February 15, 2011, 6:55 PM

I just want to mention I’m new to blogs and absolutely loved your website. Likely I’m planning to bookmark your site . You definitely come with remarkable articles and reviews. Thanks a bunch for sharing with us your webpage.

MN Debt Collections Agency March 17, 2011, 1:08 AM

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a number of websites for about a year and am worried about switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be really appreciated!

Cleveland Colpa March 17, 2011, 9:55 AM

awesome daybook you pick up

water damage March 18, 2011, 12:54 AM

I have bookmarked your site and will come back again. Trying to stay up on the latest.