Vaccinate or Go to Jail

Maryland parents are threatened with fines or jail time if they don't get kids vaccinated.

momjailed.jpg

Jail time for skipping the chicken pox vaccine? It's a real possibility if you live in Prince George's County, Maryland. The parents of more than 2,300 students in the county who fail to get vaccinations could face fines of $50 a day and up to 10 days in jail if their children do not meet the state's immunization requirements, say local officials. We know plenty of Moms who've chosen to delay vaccinations or skip them altogether due to concerns about safety. Should vaccination be a personal choice or a mandate?

next: Sexy Men! Sexy Men! Sexy Men!
Jamie November 15, 2007, 3:00 PM

This is outrageous. NOT VACCINATING YOUR KIDS is NOT against the law. There is no law in US that says you have to do this. I think this is just unconstitutional. What about if your kids get autism after having the vaccine? Then what?

LH November 15, 2007, 4:01 PM

What about if your child gets a disease they can’t fight off?

April November 15, 2007, 6:49 PM

FYI - autism is not caused by vaccines. You obviously must not read up on your news, because the doctor who initially stated that later retracted his study, claiming autism rates in children went up in the 1990’s because doctors didn’t look for and understand autism they way they do today.

And I can’t believe a parent would their child at risk and NOT vaccinate. I can understand selective vaccination, but I find it ridiculous that people would let their kids go around without any. And when dangerous diseases make a comeback, we will know exactly who to blame - parents who won’t vaccinate.

Janet November 15, 2007, 10:09 PM

Did you not see the Oprah with Jenny McCarthy???????

April November 16, 2007, 9:19 AM

Unfortunately my 6 month old doesn’t let me watch Oprah. I know Jenny McCarthy’s son has autism, but so does my nephew… and honestly, I know it’s not from him being vaccinated. And I find it irresponsible for someone to blame it on vaccines.

Becky December 31, 2007, 12:03 PM

So, what’s worse- autism or death?

As a teacher of a general ed class where 2 students with autism spend some of their time, I have done much research on it. From this, I do not believe that autism is caused by vaccinations. I believe that as we as a society grow and discover illnesses and diseases, we are able to diagnose things, including autism, more often. I also believe that autism can be over diagnosed, along the same lines as ADHD. If something seems “abnormal” about a child, the parents need a reason other than, he/she is just being a typical 4 year old, etc. I know some cases of autism have obvious communication and sensorial identifiers, however, the spectrum is so wide that people with certain OCDs and even ADD/ADHD have been suggested that they may be on the autism spectrum.

Really, we could debate all day,… that’s just my 2 cents.

BrendaM February 21, 2009, 3:29 AM

What about the people who’s religion that forbids it? Should they be jailed? No, it should be a personal choice, not another government enforced law!!!!!