Children Who "Bear" Arms

A 5-year-old Arkansas County boy killed a black bear that weighed more than 400 pounds.

ABC-7 reports that 5-year-old Tre Merritt, a descendant of Davy Crockett, killed a bear Sunday while hunting with his grandfather. According to the article, Tre said, "'Paw-paw, I squeezed the trigger and I didn't close my eyes. I killed him."' We're not crazy about the idea of a 5-year-old holding a gun under any circumstances. What about you? beargun2.jpg

next: Moms Are Talking About...
scarred December 13, 2007, 10:28 AM

Children are run by emotion, they have no real sense of consequences or an indepth sense of coordination, I believe that a child of that age should not be introduced to firearms of any nature whether for hunting or not.

carl allen December 13, 2007, 10:53 AM

guns don’t kill. people kill people. if our kids can’t go hunting like our fathers did to learn how to us a gun the correct way. there are kids protecting us right now in irack and other countries around the world. do you think their dad showed them the right way to use a gun? grow up people we need guns in this world to protect our self for other people who to take things that we have worked for all our lives. the laws won’t protect us as much as they protect the bad guys. they kill someone and they get jail for the rest of their life. tv , 3 meals a day, clothing, and a place to get drugs.than they get out to do it again. change the laws so we won’t need the guns as much. but if want a free country to live in we will always need guns. someone will always try to take what you have, so they don’t have to earn it……………..

Misty December 13, 2007, 10:55 AM

I feel that some kids are able to go hunting, depending on the “responsible” adult. My husband took my son hunting this year for thr first time. Before they went he explained the rules, took his shooting to practice. I am still a bit worried, but I am not worried that my husband or son will do wrong. I am extremely worried about those other adults who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground! As long as the adult is aware of the surroundings and the ability of the child, I feel it is alright for a child to be hunting.

janet davis December 13, 2007, 11:08 AM

ellen i had to comment on this because no children should not have guns. its bad enough they have vidio games, and don’t forget the news, to show them what to do with a gun. now to give them the right to have one, does it matter. if we give them the right (no). today they get them anyway, and what are these little ones thinking now.(and yes i shot a bear today oh what a wonderful feeling i hope i can do it again that was fun and i made everyone happy)( not the bear)jan davis

Intelligent December 13, 2007, 11:17 AM

….Unbelieveable!…..but not really, in this day and age. Just when you thought you had seen it all!?

First off, look where it happened. Not exactly a think tank. 5 years olds should not hunt, unless they are the last standing survivor after a third world war, bombing, etc. That’s really the ONLY condition. Even rednecks with shotguns in the back windows of their F150’s know that! These people probably did this to get their (Andy Warhol) 15 minutes of fame! Let Dennis Miller comment on this one.

Secondly, we are fighting in Iraq (see spelling moron) because of our national addiction to oil and petroleum products, the Bush family’s long standing relationship with oil emirates and oil controlling families, all-the-while our military on stage in a democracy-driven play. It’s too late to pull out cleanly, and guns have almost nothing to do with the possible solutions over there. I suggest you go back to worshipping your altar of the NRA and Charlton Heston, or get out of the Dark Ages on the gun laws.

Yes, our freedom was won with the help of guns, and the courage of the men and women holding them, and……..if I remember correctly, a quiver-pen, some india-ink, and some great ideas presented by some now very famous men. Don’t forget the strength of the written word.

Thanks for reading….

Michelle  December 13, 2007, 5:22 PM

I think 5 may be a little young for live hunting but he is certainly old enough to learn the rules and how to handle and shoot. He should be target shooting at that age. But for you ignorant people who think teaching a child to hunt will kill people, get a brain. Any self respecting adult knows that people kill people. Not guns, or knives, or cars, or other weapons. People even kill people with diseases for cripes sake! I just get sick of hearing people weigh in on issues they haven’t bothered to research or even apply common sense to. Good parents have good kids. Parents who are abusive or neglectful or even just too damn busy to notice problems have kids that shoot people.

Nana December 19, 2007, 12:10 AM

What has this young child already learned? It is OK to kill. Enough said.

BUBBA February 23, 2009, 10:13 PM

I WAS 12 YEARS OLD IN 1943 DURING THE WAR. MY TWO OLDER BROTHERS WERE OVERSEAS SERVING OUR COUNTRY, AND I WAS THE ONLY “MEAT GETTER” BECAUSE MY DAD HAD PARKINSONS DISEASE. DAD TAUGHT ME GUN SAFETY AND BECAUSE WE LIVED IN THE COUNTY I WAS HUNTING EVERY EVENING AFTER SCHOOL TO HELP FILL THE TABLE THAT THE WELFARE PEOPLE DIDN’T GIVE US. WITH MY 410 SINGLE SHOT SHOTGUN I WAS ABLE TO KEEP MEAT ON THE TABLE FOR THE WAR YEARS. RABBITS, PHEASANTS, DUCKS, SQUIRRELS, QUAIL, ETC,ETC. I BELIEVE AS KIDS WE WERE MUCH MORE RESPONSIBLE BACK THEN THAN OUR PRESENT “SPOILED” GENERATION…