Merry Chrismukkah!

Dad's Jewish, Mom's not...what about the kids?

When two parents have different religions, things can get sticky around the holidays. Do you celebrate his holiday, her holiday, or both? One Mom in the office celebrates both Christmas and Hanukkah: "My kids, ages 4 and 6, get double the presents," she says. Another Mom feels it sends mixed messages to do both, so her family does Hanukkah only: "I miss having a tree, but it just feels a little weird to celebrate Christ's birth and honor the Jewish holidays at the same time to me. I don't want to confuse my daughter." Another Mom here says her family borrowed a tradition from The O.C., and celebrates "Chrismukkah": "By blending both holidays into one new one, we can honor our respective family traditions while creating our own." We say the best approach is to do whatever works (and that's different for every family).

What's your take on interfaith family holidays? Comment below.

next: Making Hanukkah that Much Sweeter
Anonymous December 5, 2007, 6:55 PM

My father and I are sort of lapsed christians and my step-mother is jewish so my half-sisters were raised jewish, but celebrated a sort of christmas as well for the christian relatives. No one got hurt or offended and now that they are older they can make their own decisions about how they want to proceed and raise their own children when they come along.

Anonymous December 6, 2007, 10:58 AM

But how do you teach kids about Christmas when Judiasm teaches you not to worship Jesus? Kind of strange…

Anonymous November 29, 2009, 3:36 PM

Pick one or the other you can’t do both.

T November 29, 2009, 3:36 PM

In my house we are both non-religious but are technically Buddhist and Jewish, my husband’s family celebrates Christmas for the fun of it and I was raised celebrating Channukah. So we are going to celebrate both for the fun of it. But maybe our case is different since Christmas has absolutely no religious connotations in our family’s household going back a few generations.

Heather November 29, 2009, 3:59 PM

We celebrated both until about 4 years ago when I decided it was confusing the kidlets and we needed to stick with just one. So now we celebrate all things Jewish in our house that was until last year when the youngest discovered Santa. She visited with Santa last year when she was 3 and proudly informed him that she was Jewish and he wasn’t but it was okay!!

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 2:14 PM

Interesting information. Good to read. I have got a observation to offer about t-shirts.

Robin Reinert January 20, 2011, 5:37 PM

I can’t say I completely agree, thanks for making the effort to throw it up

Lewis Swords January 21, 2011, 6:43 AM

I can’t say I completely agree, thanks are in order for showing the initiative to write it down

Norman Marxsen January 22, 2011, 10:49 PM

Lovely post, many thanks for taking the time to put it up

Ashley Heimsness January 23, 2011, 7:34 AM

Great ideas, kudos to you for making the effort to come up with it

Erika Newbury April 5, 2011, 6:19 AM

I cant say Im in complete accordance, thanks for making the effort to come up with it

Used Peugeot April 10, 2011, 9:12 AM

I can’t say I completely agree, thanks for taking the time to put your ideas down