Need a Vaginal Nip/Tuck?

Vaginal rejuvenation surgeries are gaining popularity, but should your vagina really get a makeover?

It's not like we here at Mom•Logic sit around and talk about our vajayjays all day, but lately we've been discussing vaginal rejuvenation surgery. A lot. Apparently, the surgery tightens vaginal muscles and reduces the size of a woman's labia, and is designed to increase sexual gratification and reduce forms of incontinence. Other variations of the surgery include hymenoplasties, where the hymen membrane is "reattached," and liposuction of the pubic mound. The surgery costs on average between $4,000 and $10,000. But is it worth it? We called OB/GYN and friend of Mom•Logic Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz for her opinion on this new trend.

Sounds like Dr. Suzanne's not a big fan. But we know one mother of three who says the surgery has transformed her sex life, and was worth every penny. What do you think?

next: Holiday Gift Guide & Giveaway: TWEEN/TEEN!
Heidi December 13, 2007, 4:15 PM

I had it done; it was very painful but sex is much better now.

Lauren Mayer February 3, 2009, 12:52 PM

This is hysterical!, and I agree completely with Dr. Gilberg-Lenz, maybe 1% of women actually need this surgery for medical reasons. I for one don’t really want to have my virginity restored, or to have the vagina of a 19-year-old. Ladies, please remember that the #1 sex organ for women is the brain, so stop fussing over whether your labia are symmetrical or your hymen is intact. (And while you’re at it, can we stop the brazilian waxing? I don’t WANT to look like a 12-year-old down there, a simple trimming is more than sufficient!)

scouse62 March 26, 2009, 5:35 PM

i hve thought fo have consructive surgery as i had a 10lb babydelivered with forceps and a student sewing me back up.i have suffered incontinence eversince and dont get feeling during sex.can it be done on the national health in england.and where would i go to have it done privatly?

Some insensitive man November 6, 2009, 12:10 PM

Re: Lauren Mayer:
“…the #1 sex organ for women is the brain”
Elective vaginal tightening isn’t done for the women, it’s done for their partners.
“…can we stop the brazilian waxing?”
Why do some women project so much onto others? It seems like women aren’t comfortable with letting others have control over their own bodies.

And re: Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz…
Some women have very large vaginal canals as a result of childbirth. Sex for their partners no longer feels stimulating. Thus, the “rejuvenation.” It used to feel good, now it feels like nothing. There’s a pop-culture phrase, “like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.” After three kids, you might understand.

Ladies, if he doesn’t enjoy sex with you, it will at least cross his mind to get it somewhere else. And right now, there are many women *defending* married men who outsource sex to hookers (I don’t). This door swings both ways. Women could always take the opposite approach and get incredibly well-endowed lovers after they have several kids.

catherine March 4, 2010, 7:10 PM

I had a divinci hysterectomy three month ago and have had trouble with ongoing bleed ing. The doc gave me the o.k to have sex at 6 weeks but I probably should have waited . Anyway the man I’m with developed the inability to climax blaming me because he said I am huge now. Before I was very small and all he talked about was I needed to be bigger and now says he can’t feel me. I’m supposed to go get restitched at an episiotomy site to tighten me back up . And as the lady said I make noises after and during sex which are embarrasing I feel hollow.

shynell July 13, 2010, 11:00 PM

I have thought a great deal about having this surgery because i have two adorable boys both who tore their way out of hibernation. My first had to be pulled out with forceps because of his crowning for hours…rip…my second son heard the big rip also. The joy of motherhood although no less lovely still does not stop my leaks or feeling inadequate sexually.