Zoey's Pregnancy 101

Jamie Lynn Spears' pregnancy gives Moms an opportunity to talk to tweens.

JLspears_OKmag.jpg

Tween fans of Zoey 101 surfing the Web for info on their hero today are going to get more than they bargained for when they find out that 16-year-old Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant. Even if you don't plan to share this sensitive information with your tween, she'll likely hear about it on the radio, Internet, or from her friends. So, what should you do when your tween finds out that her favorite teen star is now a mom-to-be?

Sabrina Weill, mom of two and author of The Real Truth about Teens and Sex, offers the following three pointers:

1. THE TIP: It's important to make the gravity of the situation feel real for your tween.
It's very difficult for teens and tweens to grasp the concept of consequences. It makes it even harder when they see people they look up to, like Jamie Lynn, getting pregnant--especially when it doesn't seem like the consequences for them are so bad. Asking your tween some tough questions will help her look at this situation in a different light.

THE SCRIPT:
• How do you think Jamie Lynn felt when she had to tell her Mom she was pregnant?
• How do you think she felt when she had to tell her friends?
• How do you think her boyfriend felt telling his parents that he got his girlfriend pregnant?
• How do you think she feels about taking on the responsibility of caring for a new baby?
• How do you think her boyfriend feels knowing that he and his family will be financially responsible for supporting another life, starting now?
• If this happened to one of your friends at school, how would the situation be different from Jamie Lynn's?
How would it be the same?

WHY IT WORKS: Answering questions like these will help tweens understand that what they're hearing in the media is not the entire story. Jamie Lynn and her family are likely having many conversations behind closed doors and experiencing a lot of heartache over this pregnancy that the public is simply not privy to. You don't want to panic or scare your child, but you want to help them view the situation realistically.

2. THE TIP: Make sure your tween knows she can come to you no matter what.
Most importantly, you need to let your tween know you would be there for her in a similar situation--and that you would want her to talk to you first.

THE SCRIPT: "I will always love you, and I will always listen to you. If you or your friends are in a situation you can't handle--like you're sexually active, or you become pregnant--I would want you to come to me first. Your well-being is what's most important to me."

WHY IT WORKS: These words let you share your expectations and values with your tween while still keeping the lines of communication open. If she feels like she can always come to you, you're less likely to be surprised by any unexpected news or announcements, like Jamie Lynn's mother Lynne Spears was. Many teens and tweens feel like their Mom would kill them if they got pregnant. The truth is, you'd probably be disappointed, but you'd still want to be the first to know. It's important that she understands this.

3. THE TIP: Keep the conversation going.
Jamie Lynn's pregnancy is all over the news today, but it will likely garner less and less media attention as the days and weeks go on. However, this will probably remain front-page news for your tween for a while.

THE SCRIPT: "Hey, I heard some of the Moms at drop-off talking about Jamie Lynn. Are your friends still talking about it?"

WHY IT WORKS: As the conversation about Jamie Lynn evolves, your tween's questions will too. By keeping the conversation alive you can make sure you answer any questions she has and squelch any misconceptions she may be picking up from friends at school.

Of course, these conversations can be awkward, but unfortunately tweens are already having conversations and hearing rumors about sex--it's key that one of the voices they hear be one they can trust the most: their parents.

Will you talk to your tween about Jamie Lynn's pregnancy? Comment now.

next: Top 5: Santa Train Wreck Photos
Anonymous April 15, 2008, 4:23 PM

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyeeeeeeyyyyeeeeeyyyeyyyyyyyyyyye

Anonymous May 30, 2008, 3:42 PM

IO

ashley June 27, 2008, 6:50 PM

zoe im happy that you had your baby maddie.i cant wait to see her in magazines.im sure it wasnt easy diliviering her.i hope you have a wounder full life with your new born baby

Katherine July 15, 2008, 10:14 AM

Wake up everyones, we are in 2008 now.

.... July 17, 2008, 2:37 PM

you know what when all yalls kids get to high school they will probably see this happen more than once i go to school with getting pregnant alot
my mom didnt have the sex talk wit me i figured everything out on my own the say something the stronger they will believe its wrong to have sex before marriage. if your kid is at least in middle school you should talk to them because i know alot of kids having sex in middle school and its wrong. its her decision and you shouldn’t judge people for their decisions or mistakes.

.... July 17, 2008, 2:40 PM

B&P December 31, 2008, 12:09 AM

even though we are little like,say{9-11}
we would not go have sex.We heard about sex when we were little.When we get older if we have kids we would be like 20 something after college.Yes we will talk to our kids bout sex they would be at least 8yrs yrs older. IF we DID have a baby at 6teen WE WOULD NOT ABORTION P.S B gets really upset when someone says abortion she gets mad

b&p  December 31, 2008, 12:25 AM

this is us again hi i think that they should leave Zoey 101 as a show “even though she had a baby” maybe let her baby be a “cast member” on the show besides she has been good taking care of her baby we think she is still a good role model + a baby spears P.S her baby is an ADORABLE baby!!!!!!U ROCK!!!!!!!!!

w. February 17, 2009, 10:25 PM

i’m 15 and i love the show. jamie lynn having a baby doesn’t change that.

Anonymous February 24, 2009, 6:11 PM

who is the guy

catherine April 19, 2009, 9:40 PM

why like come on she is 16teen for cring out loud brienty spears and know her give me a break too too little i bet

Jamie Lynn May 26, 2010, 2:19 PM

People so sorry to disapoint you but I will do what I want when I want.
The baby fine sorry if I was a romemodle for your kids but like I even care bout your kids.

cierra August 21, 2010, 2:00 PM

are you ready for a sex talk i had it all ready i am 13 years old

chase internet banking October 17, 2010, 9:59 PM

@chels I know what you mean, its hard to find good help these days. People now days just don’t have the work ethic they used to have. I mean consider whoever wrote this post, they must have been working hard to write that good and it took a good bit of their time I am sure. I work with people who couldn’t write like this if they tried, and getting them to try is hard enough as it is.

online piano lessons December 4, 2010, 3:39 PM

That was a great post. I do not agree with each and every single thing that you said but still great nonetheless. On a side note, I am so thrilled that the NFL is back. It seems like I been waiting forever. This has to be my favorite time of the year. Sorry, I’m rambling. lol

beat maker download December 4, 2010, 10:58 PM

That was a great write-up. I don’t agree with each single thing that you said but still good nonetheless. On a side note, I am so ecstatic that the NFL is back. It seems like I been waiting forever. This has to be my favorite time of the year. Sorry, I’m rambling. lol

Long Neal January 25, 2011, 9:58 PM

Some really good content on this web site,thankyou for contribution.

do follow lists March 29, 2011, 1:08 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Eryn Lunden March 29, 2011, 5:56 PM

Wow! Thank you! I constantly needed to write on my website something like that. Can I implement a portion of your post to my website?

hdmi kabel köpa April 9, 2011, 4:48 AM

As soon as I detected this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.