Missing Mom's Own Mother Speaks Out

Her daughter fabricated the story about being abducted. What happened, and how is the family healing?

abc.jpg

Pregnant missing Mom Karyn McConnell Hancock was not only found safe wandering 600 miles from home, but admitted to police that she lied about being abducted. Her husband says she had a "meltdown," according to AP reports.

Mom•Logic spoke with Karyn's mother, Tempie McConnell, hours before her daughter confessed to making up the kidnapping story.

Mom•Logic: How has Karyn's ordeal affected your family?
Tempie: I am just so worn out and stretched. We have been bombarded, and I have been taking care of a 3-year-old child (Karyn’s son). Karyn is my youngest, and she’s 35 years old. It’s been 32 years since I’ve taken care of a 3-year-old child, and I am just spent. I have been caring for her son since she went missing. I am worn out. I have talked with so many people and right now, I just can’t think—I am just numb.

ML: What do you think happened to Karyn?
Tempie: There were millions of thoughts that ran through my mind about why and what’s happening with her, but I know there has been something recently in the news where people do those kinds of things [like kidnapping a pregnant woman to steal a baby], so I didn’t know. The baby wasn’t ready to be born, she’s only 6 months pregnant, so I don’t know if that would have been a viable reason, so I kind of dismissed that. But yeah, those kinds of thoughts run through your mind.

ML: What's next for Karyn?
Tempie: She’s home, she’s resting trying to recover from the shock of it all, and we’re just trying to keep her calm so the baby is all right.

We, as Moms, know how overwhelming motherhood and pregnancy can be and wish Karyn the best and hope she gets the help she needs.

next: Celebrity Crib Notes
MZ.ME December 11, 2007, 3:40 PM

I THINK SHE IS A SELFISH PERSON AND THE BABY SHOULD NOT BE RETURNED TO HER AT THIS PRESENT TIME. HE SHOULD BE LEFT IN CARE OF ONE OF THE FAMILY MEMBERS. SHE MIGHT BE SO DISTRAUGHT FROM HER BREAK-DOWN SHE MIGHT GO INTO A RAGE AND HURT THE SON. SHE DID NOT THINK OF THAT CHILD WHEN SHE TOOK HERSELF TO THE STREETS TO DO WHATEVER SHE WAS DOING. SHE HAS THE NERVE TO BRING ANOTHER CHILD INTO THIS WORLD. SHAME ON HER! GROW UP AND STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR YOUR ACTIONS!

Sheri December 11, 2007, 4:16 PM

She’s obviously sick and needs help. Did she act responsibly? No. But she is hurting and needs help. Don’t be so judgemental - have you been in her shoes?

The Concerned December 11, 2007, 9:54 PM

Clearly it was a cry for help and she obviously didn’t feel she had anyone she could confide in. It is premature to draw conclusions based on limited information the media provides. We don’t know what’s going on in someone’s life or their ability to cope. Lets extend helpful resources and not be so judgmental.

Sincerely,
The Concerned

Integrity December 12, 2007, 6:54 AM

I really do think that she was running from her problems. However, I find it strange that the groomsman from her wedding just HAPPENED to find her car on the interstate just 1 ½ miles from Six Flags in Georgia. What a coincidence??? Who was she with? There are definitely people in Georgia that has something to say. I believe she hooked up with a guy (possibly the groomsman!!!) for a few days to get away and ease her way back home. The other thing that I find strange is that she owed over 97,000 in back taxes, yet her husband drives a Mercedes Benz??? There is more to come and I think until people start valuing their integrity more and owning up to the mistakes they make, we will continue to see things like this. Which is more embarrassing; working to pay your debts or lying to the entire country and getting caught?

praying for hope December 12, 2007, 12:22 PM

It is a terrible thing to have a child taken away, that will not help the problem. When one does not have anyone to confide in, they do take matters into their own hands. Though counseling from licensed professionals may help, and the support from loved ones may be encouraging—she will not find peace until she has had a chance to be alone, reflecting on her own life and purpose. Once she prays and seeks God for herself; once she admits to her problems and understnads that she cannot change the past, then healing can begin. Then the journey to complete healing, though afar off, can be reached if she doesn’t give up. You never know what a person is thinking when things like this can happen. It is easy to look at the outward, the circumstances surrounding it all, but the heart of the matter is within her.

praying for hope December 12, 2007, 12:25 PM

LINDA September 14, 2008, 5:17 PM

Of course she is troubled, a normal person would not do what she did.Most pregnant women would do anything they can to protect their unborn child. Susan Smith loved her children, but look what she did to them. Then we have Casey Anthony who will not help the police find her missing little girl Callie. People need to be concerned for the children’s health, more than the mothers. Saving a child’s life should be at the top of the list.The mother is either a lying murderer, a phony or a very sick lady. Anyway, she should not be allowed to have her children until she is certified healthy

Immobilier Bretagne March 7, 2011, 8:02 AM

very nice publish, i definitely love this web site, carry on it