Celebrities Are Flat-Stomached Liars

Stars claim it's exercise and diet, but we know the truth. Celebs go under the knife for their perfect postpartum bods.

Is it just us, or does it seem like a celebrity’s perfect postpartum body is one more aspect of an unjust universe? While the rest of us get to lament about stretch marks, droopy breasts, and those last 10 pounds that won’t seem to go away, celebrity Moms seemingly emerge from the birthing process rail-thin, perky-breasted, and stretch-mark-free. Grr!

To add insult to injury, many celebs publicly attribute their fabulous post-baby bodies to good old diet and exercise. “The pounds just fell off!” they exclaim with a smile and a shrug. Oh, really? Then why didn’t they just “fall off” us?

postpartum4.jpg

Sorry, but we’re just not buying it. So when we started hearing whispers about celebs packaging plastic surgery with their scheduled C-sections, we didn’t completely dismiss the rumors. How else could someone achieve six-pack abs less than six weeks after giving birth to a six-pound baby?

However, Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Dr. Brent Moelleken, friend of Mom•Logic

and a new dad, denies the existence of such a trend. “A C-section is a similar trauma to having a car accident and losing a lot of blood,” says Dr. Moelleken. “Responsible plastic surgeons will not perform a tummy tuck and a C-section at the same time. When we do a tummy tuck, we are operating on a different part of the stomach than the OB/GYN is, and we don’t want to open up those new locations or overload the patient with too much surgery.” But six months postpartum, all bets are off. Dr. Moelleken says that’s when he often performs breast lifts, lipo, and hybrid tummy tucks on his healthy Mom patients.

next: American Idol: Second Best is the Way to Go
Florestine Chapple January 14, 2008, 2:13 PM

Great article. I wondered about those flat tummys and how a new celebrity mom can just fit right into those size 6 jeans with no problem, right after delivery.

Jan January 14, 2008, 2:24 PM

Wow, I’d never thought about that, but it makes sense.

Rachel January 15, 2008, 11:53 AM

Must be nice!

Rachel January 15, 2008, 11:54 AM

Must be nice!

A January 20, 2008, 2:53 PM

My friend who is plastic surgeon told me that this has been going on for years. What’s sad – it that people believe that these celebrities are so special they just naturally got back into shape in record time.

A January 20, 2008, 2:54 PM

My friend who is plastic surgeon told me that this has been going on for years. What is sad is that people believe that these celebrities are so special they just naturally got back into shape in record time.

Pat October 27, 2008, 1:00 PM

It’s sad to see so much hatred toward slender women. I’m an average mom of two, 17 & 13. Not a celebrity at all & yes, after having my children, within a months time I was back in my regular clothes. I have no stretch marks. Yes there are some of us who DO go naturally back in shape after having babies. Being an average mom I have no money for a surgeon so therefore in my case, YES, excercise was the key to help get me in my clothes. Oh yes, its very nice to be able to bounce back but don’t dislike me because I can. I’m 47 soon to be 48 & I STILL have that body, size 8.

Bookie November 18, 2008, 1:04 PM

Pat,
I don’t disagree with you that some women are able to do it naturally, but a size 8 (which I was able to get back into shortly after giving birth) is not the same as a mother who is rail thin, back into a size 2, ZERO body fat, no sagging skin, etc, within 6 weeks. It’s unrealistic. I’m not saying it CAN’T be done, but I doubt it’s done as often as these celebs would like us to believe. And I’m almost certain that even if you can get into a size 8 one month post-pregnancy, there are still SOME signs that you had a baby within the last month. If nothing else theres some semblance of a small ‘pooch’. NO ONE has rock hard, tight abs within 1 month of giving birth without surgery; at least not by any healthy method. I just don’t beleive it.

Cherish March 12, 2009, 4:32 PM

I have a few girl friends who are patients of Dr. M and absolutely love him. The results are unbelievable. You wouldn’t even know they had a baby. It is such a stress trying to lose the weight after childbirth- I should know. I know that I will be a patient of his very soon. Highly recommend!

Gillian Trias April 2, 2011, 4:22 PM

Let’s commence with stretch marks. They aren’t exactly caused by stretching your skin, but far more by hormones and also the destruction of the elastin that supports your skin as your body grows faster than the supporting structure in your skin can accommodate. Stretch marks are scars. Torn skin.With pregnancy, a formerly flat stomach and trim figure may well be ruined if one is not careful. Prevention is much better than cure, so tackle each even before you get pregnant.

Mohammad Tenny April 6, 2011, 11:40 AM

Most females are able to joyfully overlook stretch marks when they consider the miracle of life they bring into the world. For the most the small annoyance even the worst stretch marks bring are nicely worth the joys of bringing a newborn baby into the world. Do what you can throughout pregnancy to maintain an appropriate weight and try not to worry too a lot about stretch marks. A lot of females wear them with pride, a ‘war wound’ or “badge of honor” related to their pregnancy.