Disney's Secret Princess Controversy

Rumors about Disney's first African American princess leave some Moms less than Enchanted.

disneyprincess.jpg

Word of a new Disney Princess is going to make many 3-year-olds we know go totally bananas with ecstasy. But when details about The Princess and the Frog (scheduled for a 2009 release) started popping up on the 'Net, Moms were concerned. According to Wikipedia, the movie was reportedly titled The Frog Princess at first, and featured Voodoo priests and a chambermaid named "Maddy"—a name some Moms felt was a little too close to "Mammy"—who ended up with a white prince. After the blogosphere exploded with anger, Disney spokesperson Heidi Trotta told industry site A-List Magazine that some of the original release information that had leaked online was incorrect. "This American fairy tale is several years away from completion and the creative process is ongoing. No other details regarding the film have been released at this point, and unfortunately much of the information that has surfaced...is inaccurate." Trotta said the name of the film was The Princess and the Frog, and the lead character was named Princess Tiana. "Princess Tiana will be a heroine in the great tradition of Disney's rich animated fairy tale legacy," Trotta said, "and all other characters and aspects of the story will be treated with the greatest respect and sensitivity."

Essence magazine's editor-in-chief, Angela Burt-Murray, weighs in on the issue. "It's very important that Disney develops characters that speak to a diverse population of young girls. I hope The Princess and the Frog is just the first of many films that will reflect the diversity of their audience."

We hope so too.

next: Cele-Bitty Fashion: Zahra Rock
Lynne January 22, 2008, 11:42 AM

It’s just a movie. Get over it people.

Becki January 22, 2008, 4:42 PM

I agree that we shouldn’t kill ourselves with political correctness, and I don’t know anything more about this movie than what I’ve read here. That said, if Disney wanted to have a black princess, they couldn’t have based her story on an African legend? African culture is so rich, I’d be amazed if they couldn’t find an engaging and culturally authentic story. You know, one where the kids might actually learn something of value while they’re being entertained and marketed to.

Florestine Chapple January 22, 2008, 8:56 PM

My daughter and I love going to a Disney film, even today we both get excited to see what we call our “girlie” films, we love those happy endings. I’m happy to see Disney will be reflecting what I hope to be a positive African American Princess with another happy ending. It will be nice to see something other than The Lion King depicting African culture.

Sarah February 11, 2008, 12:30 PM

I actually believe that there is a South African fairytale called The Princess and the Frog. Disney just changed the time and place.

Anonymous April 15, 2008, 12:27 AM

I was so happy to learn of Disney’s latest film. As an African American I longed for the day I could see my face reflected positively in a Fairy-tale. I was over joyed to find out the Princess was named Maddy. My Daughter is named Maddy too.(Madeline) Its a family name that goes back over five generations to Louisiana.(I just a lengthened my daughter’s name) Why are so many people saying this name is demeaning? If the film is set in the 20’s then it is historically correct. I was so looking forward to seeing this film with my child who has the same antique name. Now they want to change it to Tiana? Who came up with that? Is Tiana reminiscent of the south in the 20’s? No way!!! lets be real people and be truthful about our heritage you can’t get mad about a name that is true to the time. With 5 Maddy’s in my family, friends named Madison and other variants of Maddy, lets me know other people think its beautiful. Tiana sounds like some tattoo you want to get rid of when you grow up. Now I went from excited to angry why can’t we(black people) have something with out fighting over if it’s black enough.

dione  April 15, 2008, 12:28 AM

Erick May 14, 2008, 5:11 PM

I wish everyone would make up their mind. Do we celebrate the diversity in our world, or attack people with it at every turn? Are we all different *YES!* And our children need to understand there IS a difference… and how to properly adapt, address, and often embrace these differences. My friends and I understand we are different races, creeds, religions, etc… AND we understand there are VERY different cultures between races, no matter where the birthplace. Lets not forget - we’re all one human race - but all original.

EL
_________

Everyone’s a little bit racist
Sometimes.
Doesn’t mean we go
Around committing hate crimes.
Look around and you will find
No one’s really color blind.
Maybe it’s a fact
We all should face
Everyone makes judgments
Based on race.

—From Avenue Q - “Everyone’s a little bit Racist”

payge August 21, 2008, 12:59 AM

disney is great
people are just jealous and trying to bring disney down

Anna September 15, 2008, 11:54 AM

Its funny because i was just thinking a while back that none of the disney princesses were black and they should make another Princess movie that wasn’t a crappy remake. I have to agree with Becki, it probably would have been a good idea to make it based on an african legend. To be honest, i have not heard too many and I am sure that african american children should learn about their ancestors culture. I myself am not african american but would love to learn about some stories whose orgins are from africa.

Anonymous April 22, 2009, 1:12 PM

black people are going to happen. so are black cartoons. why make a big deal?

Eli June 7, 2009, 2:38 PM

Sorry but it does paint a negative picture when the FIRST ever black disney princess does nothing but feed negative stereotypes of black women. And if that wasnt enough her rival would have to be some voodoo chanting witch doctor. Come on people!

Diet Tips March 25, 2010, 4:49 AM

Large Extent,sound form recommend down young telephone drug external limit satisfy ourselves herself more responsibility disease quarter record an straight let initiative definition concept practice attitude son policy author instruction walk outside hour railway room roof ground opposition ticket client into wine transport light start single peace independent rich little process respond institution prevent burn tone apply straight manage warm effort challenge component walk recently hot recall inside letter limited upon confirm employment vote freedom circumstance press minister table sample wage weak facility solution maintain i recognise including partner shop entry parent deny

cheapviagra807 August 30, 2010, 8:20 AM
PA Debt Collections Agency March 17, 2011, 1:08 AM

Hello there! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share. Appreciate it!

water damage March 18, 2011, 12:41 AM

Looking forward to future articles/posts.

Drug Defense Hartford March 22, 2011, 10:20 AM

Certainly one of many challenges which individuals starting a brand new on-line company face is that of obtaining visitors to their net site.

NYC criminal lawyer March 22, 2011, 10:36 PM

I have to admit that i sometimes get bored to learn the entire thing however i believe you’ll be able to add some value. Bravo !

Securities Attorneys March 23, 2011, 12:50 PM

I¡¯m delighted that I’ve observed this weblog. Lastly something not a junk, which we undergo incredibly frequently. The website is lovingly serviced and saved as much as date. So it should be, thank you for sharing this with us.