Ellen Degeneres' Tribute To Heath Ledger

On today's episode, the talk show host remembers her friend.

next: Cele-Bitty Fashion: Suri Cruise
meghan January 23, 2008, 3:11 PM

Thank you Heath for your time with us. I am grateful that The Man up above gave Heath to us, even though it was for a short time. Peace my friend. My deepest respects for the Ledger family and daughter, Matilda.

charlotte January 23, 2008, 3:14 PM

So sad, my prayers are with the family and his little girl. R.I.P. Heath.

Pam January 23, 2008, 4:10 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with Matilda, Michelle and the Ledger family. Heath Ledger will be missed but not forgotten.

Louisa January 23, 2008, 4:41 PM

Thank you Ellen, for posting that humorous and sweet look at Heath. It’s nice to see his lighter side remembered, and not just the brooding bloke. R.I.P. Heath…

Kristin January 23, 2008, 4:51 PM

Thank you for that piece from your show last year, Ellen. It made me laugh and then I found myself tearing up. It is nice that Matilda will be able to see such a funny side of her father. It is a shame to lose someone so young and full of life. All of my prayers to Michelle, Matilda, and the entire Ledger family for such a tragic loss.

grettel January 23, 2008, 7:03 PM

Ellen thanks,
just like you there are so many others
that are in some way giving there respect to Heath. Michelle, Matilda, my respect to you both, He was a great Man and he will be miss tremendously.
See u @ the Batman movie Heath.
RIP
form a huge fan
of you and your michelle.

Bl00die_knuckles January 23, 2008, 9:16 PM

I was heartbroken to hear this sad news yesterday. I just had two deaths in my family back-to-back and came across this quote at that time and it has helped me heal:

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves lives a memory no one can steal: Tombstone in Ireland.

My heart goes out to the family, especially Michelle and Matilda.

Heath - RIP, my friend, you will always be remembered.

Robin January 24, 2008, 9:33 AM

Thank you Heath for the talent you were blessed with and so unselfishly shared with us all. We will never forget you and we are filled with sorrow that you were taken from this world so young. May you rest in the hands of God and as you said in an interview “I’m not afraid of death because I know I’ll live on in my daughter.” God Bless you sweet little Matilda, Michelle…. the love of his life, and the Ledger family.
Heath you will be missed but never forgotten.

Jane January 28, 2008, 4:56 PM

The video clip to that audio of Ellen and Heath in the bob sled is posted on YouTube. It is so sweet. Heath, rest in peace, we love you and will miss you. You will always have a special place in our hearts. We will never forget you. It was like time stood still when you departed us. Rest in Eternal Peace, Dear Heath. It has been 1 week and I still cry thinking of your passing. God Bless you, Heath. You will never be forgotten. Love, Another Heath Ledger Fan

Hilary January 28, 2008, 6:59 PM

It’s horrible for something so great to come to a tragic end. He was my favorite actor and will be truly missed. My best to Michelle and Matilda. RIP Heath!

June January 29, 2008, 4:30 PM

My heart and prayers go out to Matilda and to his family. It is always hard to loose someone so close but time will heal the pain and you have so many memeories with him that you can cherish forever. I want to thank the Ledger family for bringing Heath into our lives even if it was for a short time. His fans got to see the talent that not alot of actors can bring. Just always remember that he will never be forgotten in our hearts. ~You’re number 1 fan~ R.I.P. sweet boy

Debby~Redding, CA February 5, 2008, 12:17 AM

The Ellen Video clip was amazing of Heath it helps console me in away; But then I tear up and want more!! It’s unbelieveable that he is gone…I have alot of his movies; I started watching them all over AGAIN. I’m a devoted fan~I will never forget you RIP Heath. The greatest respect to the Ledger family and Michelle and Matilda Rose.

melissa February 21, 2008, 8:06 PM

I’m in my fifties and I have never blogged before, but the unprecedented and inexplicable sorrow I feel since learning of Heath’s death compels me to seek others who find themselves with a similar ache. I was not a die-hard fan, but was always pleasantly surprised when he would show up in a film and then blow me away. It’s been a month since Heath’s passing and I still feel an awful ache in my chest when I see a picture of him. I still feel a strong and persistent urge to turn the clock back 5 minutes on the day when I heard about his death on the news. If we could just go back a few minutes, before receiving that awful, heartwrenching news, we could somehow save him and still have him here for his daughter and family. I can only surmise that Heath had way more charisma than I ever imagined, and I guess I took him for granted, as a movie fan, thinking he would always be there. What other explanation can there be for hurting so much, yet never having met him? So many unanswered questions…I feel like I dropped into a parallel universe. It’s just so strange and I think I will never fully understand the effect this has had on me. I hardly dare share my sorrow with my social circle or family lest they each laugh me out of the room. I believe in a transitional afterlife so I know he is in peace and light, traveling toward the next plane. My heart aches for all who survive him.

Patricia February 22, 2008, 4:11 AM

It’s been a month since he left us. I had been hearing about this tribute to Heath by Ellen and I have to say I cried and I laughed and I loved. I’m in my 50’s as is another poster here. I have two sons and my eldest looks so much like Heath. It was when I saw Heath in the Patriot that I sat up in the theatre and thought…he looks like my son! I’ve followed him closely since. And I love everything he’s done.
I saw him walking on the sidewalk in Brooklyn a year ago..he had a huge grin..and looked at me and smiled even bigger and nodded his head. I smiled back. He lived close to me and I didn’t want to bother him..thinking I’d see him around for awhile anyway. I missed that opportunity. He will always be loved and missed by so many people. My heart goes out to his family and friends, Michelle and his beautiful daughter Matilda.

Alisa February 29, 2008, 5:58 AM

Don’t Worry, Be Happy! =)