Miscarriage may be common, but the pain and suffering is unique to every woman.
British singer Lily Allen suffered a miscarriage this week after returning home from a vacation with her boyfriend. It may be celebrity news today, but miscarriages happen every day to expectant Moms of all ages. But knowing that it's common often times is not enough to comfort a woman going through it. Half the Moms in the Mom•Logic office have experienced the loss, in some cases more than once. Each has her own story and her own loss.
• 35 yrs old and under have about a 15% chance of miscarriage
• 35-45 yrs old have a 20-35% chance of miscarriage
• Women over 45 can have up to a 50% chance of miscarriage
• A woman who has had a previous miscarriage has a 25% chance of having another, which is only a slight increased risk over a woman who had not had a precious miscarriage.
American Pregnancy Association also says the warning signs of miscarriage include:
• Back pain
• Weight loss
• White-pink mucus
• True contractions
• Bleeding *although 20-30% of all pregnancies can experience some bleeding in early pregnancy and 50% of those result in full-term pregnancies
• Tissue with clot like material passing from the vagina
• Sudden decrease in signs of pregnancy
In most cases, miscarriage is due to chromasomal abnormalities and cannot be prevented. If you feel like something's wrong don't be afraid to call your doctor so you can get the care you need.