Baby Name Map Quest

The perfect name can't always be found on a map.

madison.jpg

What do you think of Madison, Boston or Dallas—not to visit, but as baby names? One of the latest baby naming trends is by location, like Beckham's son, Brooklyn. Says BabyNames.com founder and Mom•Logic friend Jennifer Moss, "People use place names when they have an emotional bond to fond memories of a particular location. It could be a romantic getaway or the city in which they grew up." But not all city names make good baby names. Here are a few we'd leave off your lists of possibilities.

Top Five City Baby Names to Avoid:

1. Intercourse, Pennsylvania
Instead of commemorating where you conceived your child, this name tells people how you conceived your child.

2. Normal, Illinois
If you're worried whether your child hits all the right milestones,
this name is for you. Otherwise, opt for the name "Abnormal" because
that's what being named Normal will make them.

3. Boring, Maryland
What's worse: a kid who won't sleep or one that puts you to sleep?

4. Dwarf , Kentucky
Since Dwarf is considered politically incorrect you'd end up having to call your baby "A Little Person," which would be true until they started putting on some height.

5. Poopoo, Hawaii
Although it might be good for potty training purposes, this is a name that truly stinks.

next: Celebrity Crib Notes
Heather February 15, 2008, 2:16 PM

Paris used to be a pretty name until Paris H. came along…

baby girl  February 16, 2008, 7:53 AM

I love more the old fashion names. Like Sofia.

Grace February 27, 2008, 10:13 PM

I named my daughters: Phoenix, Alexandra, Hayley, Mattea (pronounced like Mady), and Boston - didn’t even notice the two place-names until Phoenix (8) came home from school and said we should move to Arizona! Boston (who we have lovingly nicknamed “Bossy”) is now nearly seven months old.

Kyros February 12, 2009, 6:16 PM

Could you help me. We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
I am from Swaziland and learning to write in English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “Rbac can assist start ups with reviewing portions of your business plan pertaining to recycling markets.”

Thank 8) Kyros.

posicionamiento google February 7, 2011, 11:56 AM

I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.

gay teen boys March 4, 2011, 12:25 PM