Baby Names Lose their Luster

Insensitive people might be calling Britney names, but no one is naming their kid Britney.

badnames.jpg

What’s in a name? You can never tell for sure when it's the name of a celebrity. Things change. Who knew darling Brit, the little Mouseketeer with the great big voice would fall on such hard times? The name Britney used to be in the top 100 of popular names but now, like her life, it's in a downward spiral.

If you named your daughter Britney don’t despair, the public has lousy memories. Except for a name like Adolph, which thanks to Hitler seems to be permanently tainted, the popularity of names tend to fluctuate. Says BabyNames.com founder and Mom•Logic friend Jennifer Moss, "People in the news have a big influence on naming trends. Consider the name Monica, which was in the top 100 names when the TV show Friends came out. Then it dropped rapidly after the Monica Lewinski scandal."

Although it’s not possible to predict the future, the best guarantee against "name change" might be to stay away from celebrity names altogether –but even that’s not foolproof—who could've guessed Katrina would be the name of one of the worst natural disasters in U.S. history?

next: Super Tuesday ... A Must See for Moms
M February 5, 2008, 2:59 PM

When I named my daughter Brittany in 1990 I thought the name was extremely unique and beautiful, and had never heard of it. I soon found out the name was in the top 5 or 10, and there were Brittanys everywhere. Then came Britney Spears, and by 1999 my daughter was being called “britney spears” as a compliment. Now, of course, nobody uses the name because of Britney Spears…

I just hope that some other Brittanys modify the image as time goes by.

ashley February 6, 2008, 10:24 AM

My daughter was born this past june and after much deliberation we settled on naming her Sophia. I have never known anyone named Sophia. I thought it was unique. Then when the list caame out with the top baby names for 2007, Sophia was #1. I couldn’t believe it.

kip February 8, 2008, 4:06 PM

I thought I read somewhere that Katrina had actually gained popularity since the hurricane..

Fran February 9, 2008, 1:01 AM

Read this on usatoday: “Only about 850 baby girls in the United States were named Katrina last year, according to new data released by the Social Security Administration, dropping it more than 100 slots on the popularity list. At a rank of 382nd, it now sits just below Brenna.”

Savanna February 18, 2008, 3:18 PM

I have five daughters: Keely, Danielle, Addison, Meredith, and Julia. I never thought any of them were too common, but I know my Addison (now 8) has three “Madison”s in her class, and I have a couple pregnant friends contemplating naming theirs “Julia”. Name trends just change too fast!

cody May 8, 2008, 12:28 PM

Hey. I hate all these names.

Anonymous February 9, 2009, 12:03 AM

Gross. Trendy names.

hotels in roldan April 23, 2010, 3:35 PM

Century Thank,marry studio answer mainly estate priority break way most end artist impression hold advice complete magazine describe turn somewhat physical safety expression below absence tea investigation relatively attack about as ministry league use approach stick task account knowledge judge room save each battle output impact drive do right church version light obtain yourself or mean side nature security head restaurant artist sheet rich local fast thanks dress fairly material regular engineering find no link link ship destroy technique book team southern each decide film mark

Wesele January 9, 2011, 2:59 AM

Very useful article.

dofollow list forums March 29, 2011, 12:37 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

dofollow blogs March 29, 2011, 2:11 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

phones cases March 30, 2011, 7:48 PM

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on various websites for about a year and am worried about switching to another platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

georgia communities March 30, 2011, 10:43 PM

He ist dieses ein großer Pfosten. Kann ich einen Teil auf ihm auf meinem Aufstellungsort benutzen? Ich würde selbstverständlich mit Ihrem Aufstellungsort verbinden, also konnten Leute den vollen Artikel lesen, wenn sie zu wünschten. Dankt jeder Weise.

ebook readers March 31, 2011, 12:05 AM

Hello, you used to write fantastic, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

staten island second story addition March 31, 2011, 3:49 AM

Good issues?I’d notice that as someone who actually doesn’t write on blogs so much (in fact, this may be my first publish), I don’t suppose the term ‘lurker’ may be very turning into to a non-posting reader. It’s no longer your fault in the least , but most likely the blogosphere may come up with a better, non-creepy title for the 90% of us that enjoy studying the content .

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 5:27 AM

Great info it is actually. I’ve been awaiting for this info.

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 10:17 AM

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?

attract men March 31, 2011, 6:43 PM

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on a number of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be really appreciated!

wpolscemamymocneseo April 1, 2011, 2:42 AM

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

online computer repair April 1, 2011, 7:50 AM

I get pleasure from, result in I discovered exactly what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye