Keeping Kids Safe From Guns

Prevent tragic accidents in your home.

kid_with_gun.jpg

Shockingly, there are multiple child shootings in the news today, two of which are known to be committed with firearms from the children's homes. We talked to David Hemenway, Deputy Director of Harvard's Injury Control Research Center about how to keep your kids safe:

• Think before you buy: Firearms in the home up the risk factor for suicide, homicide and accidental death.
  • Lock it up: If you have a gun, keep it in a gun safe, versus just using a trigger lock.
  • Separate the parts: Keep the gun unloaded with the ammo locked away in a separate place.

• next: Martian Without a Mommy
    April February 12, 2008, 6:52 PM

My husband spent 9 years in the Marine Corps, and won many sharp-shooting awards. We have a rifle and a handgun in our home, and we have a 9 month old son. We keep them in our room, where our son can’t get to them. We both know how to use the guns, and we plan on teaching our son (and future children) how to shoot, as well as how to respect guns. He will not think a gun is a toy - he will know a gun is a weapon, and he will not be allowed to touch them until he is old enough to use them properly.

fred davis July 30, 2008, 8:33 AM

How is keeping a gun in the house, anymore dangerous than prescription drugs, knives, forks, electrical outlets etc?

It all comes down to the parents teaching the child. It is easy to point out how many deaths from “gun related” incidents, but people also fail to remark on the number of incidents from electric shock, falling down stairs, burns from stoves/irons ………………

You could go on and on about these incidents, but yet no one seems to be as concerned as they are about *guns*.

Here is a hint, not all of us that own guns are gun toting idiots, who only want to blast our way through life.

There are thousands of responsible owners, who vote/pay taxes/live quiet lives.

If you really want to point the finger at the REAL problem, then start with the parents. Take some personal responsibility.

“Prevent tragic accidents in your home.” Can you also list ways of preventing drowning in the bath tub, or keeping your child from being burned by the stove? Or teaching your child to not answer the door to strangers?

One sided narrow minded postings like these, are just that…..

JNT July 30, 2008, 11:03 AM

I am a medical professional, a full time educator, and a combat veteran. I have lived or worked in some of the safest communities and some of the most dangerous places in the world - to include sub-saharan and west Africa, the Middle East, Central America, and Asia.

This is NOT about guns, this is about parents recognizing their responsibility to educate their children. Instead of mindless fear and paranoia - why not educate them about the proper respect and use of one of the most important tools of personal freedom and democracy that we possess? Start from early childhood and ensure that as they grow into adolesence and adulthood they have the mindset, knowledge, and abilities to understand and enjoy firearms as part of their cultural and political heritage.

Many have died to protect your natural right to defend yourself and your political right to resist oppression. Teaching kids about firearms is no more difficult that teaching them to safely use the iron, a sewing machine, a circular saw; no harder than talking about safe sex and moral values, about drug use and dependancy, or teaching them to drive. And beyond all of these things, this one is a constitutionally protected right.

William C. September 2, 2008, 9:11 PM

Here’s a better idea: Teach your little ones proper and stringent firearm safety, and have them develop a sense of respect for firearms. (When they’re mature enough, of course.) That way, your children will be safe around firearms at all times, regardless of your presence, and you won’t have to compromise the benefit of owning a firearm.

You can’t shelter the kids from firearms forever. They’ll come across one somewhere down the line. Do you want them to know how to clear and secure it when the time comes, or how to look down the barrel and pull the trigger?

Lou Dorsey December 10, 2008, 10:36 AM

Personally I grew up with guns…real guns. At an early age I was taught about guns and taught respect for them. I grew up being a HUNTER. If we did not hunt we may not have eaten much meet. Do not understand all the “hub bub” about guns. Today I am 57 years old, have LOADED pistols in my place in PLAIN sight. Have children and grandchildren and have taught even the 20 month about them. They are NOT toys, and the children DO NOT play with them. SO what is the problem…it is the parents that hide their guns and DO NOT teach the children about safety and respect. As I have told my children: GUNS do not kill people, BULLETTS Do.

Bill Watson April 8, 2011, 1:10 PM

I caught my child attempting to access the .44 cal Smith & Wesson I keep in the glove compartment of my vehicle. The weapon is stored in a zip-up gun pouch and placed in an unlocked glove compartment. I now lock the glove compartment and pray there is enough time to unlock the glove compartment of the vehicle, remove the gun from its zip-up pouch and take aim before the “bad guy” pulls the trigger. Speed of access is a crucial component to providing safety and protection for your family. However, speed of access must be weighed against ease of access. Sometimes protecting our families begins by protecting them from themselves. I am grateful God gave me the chance to alter my methods before a lesson was learned “the hard way”.