Do You Have "Mom Boobs"?

Tracy's Mom•Logic: The exciting adventures of buying a bra after Baby.

stk61821cor.jpg

"Yesterday, it happened. I couldn't go one more day. I had to get a new bra.

Do you have Mom boobs? Becoming a mother does all kinds of things to your mind (and yes, your heart and soul and tolerance for cloying sentiment). But these pale in comparison to its effect on your breasts. Or rather, the Anatomy Previously Known As Your Breasts.

Mine have traveled the bumpy road from 34B to their current postpartum Salma Hayek state of 38D. And they've long since stopped hanging out together. I won't refer to the classic image of the tribal women in the National Geographics we all thumbed through as pre-pubescents, our first exposure to bare naked ladies...but yes, I just did and this is what my breasts most resemble, though they are pasty white and not chocolate-colored. They are large and swinging and...okay, enough.

I was, until today, utterly defiant at the idea of spending another dime on clothing to accommodate my ever- changing shape (having done so for the past 18 months since being heavily pregnant and giving birth the first time). I'd taken to wearing my jogging bras to keep things in order.

Well, I sucked it up (or in) and fully confessed to the mammary authorities. "What can I help you with?" I was asked.

"I'm pregnant and nothing fits. I need help," I murmured, eyeing a black teddy I might have worn in a previous life (like two years ago).

She came back with a variety of options--and with some adjusting, they fit! They made me look better. And yes, I admit, they made me feel better. There was lift, there was support, there was cleavage! MY BOOBS WERE TOGETHER AGAIN. I was still huge, but in a glamorous, Queen Latifah way.

So, swallow your pride (and that last mouthful of chocolate) and go get measured. Admit it--you're bigger (or smaller) than you'd like to be. Accept this and find yourself a real bra shop (no, Victoria's Secret doesn't qualify. Clerks must all be over age 50 and weigh more than 100 pounds). Take control. Own your boobs."

To check out Tracy McArdle's blog, click here.

Do you have Mom boobs? Tell us about it in Mom•Logic Community.

next: Moms Are Talking About...
Robin February 8, 2008, 12:12 PM

Mom boobs, mom jeans. Who comes up with this stuff?

Laura Boehme February 8, 2008, 12:21 PM

Yep I know how that all feels, I just had my first kid and nothings feels the same, well I guess I can admit sex is better! But yeah I guess I will live with these new mom boobs!

Angel February 8, 2008, 12:38 PM

That sounds like me! I had my son 8 months a go and I have major mom boobs!

Lynne February 8, 2008, 4:08 PM

Is “mom boobs” made up by the same genius came up with “mom jeans”?

melanie February 8, 2008, 8:20 PM

Yes I have them, but I prefer to call them tea bags, because thats what they look like to me. And sadly after I had my daughter 4 years ago, my husband made the national geographic comment to me too, made me feel so lovely. My daughter calls them utters if I happen to bend over without a shirt on. We all get them after having children and just need to learn to accept them. A support bra never hurt anyone!

Hanna February 9, 2008, 2:13 PM

I truly understand “mom boobs”. After 2 kids in 2 years, I can simpathise. However, there is great news for those of us on a budget. Most of the larger store chains offer free sizing. This means that you can get sized and then go shopping for the right size on the clearence rack. You’ll save a bundle.

Michele McHenry February 11, 2008, 12:31 PM

This cracked me up! It made me remember the days, especially the breast feeding days and how my husband thought they actually would “stay” that big!

But, no..now I have nothing, less then I had before…so when I went to the bra shop and got fitted..it was the best thing I ever did. Without adding padding, they were perky and sitting in the proper place on my chest.

It is painless to do, so ladies should do this, it is free and you will feel even better then you do after a manicure!

Gill June 13, 2008, 4:24 PM

wow

butter June 18, 2008, 12:52 PM

I know what you mean.

jam March 5, 2009, 6:39 PM

I don’t know what you mean. Please post pictures.

cash advance no credit check June 29, 2009, 6:53 AM

I found www.momlogic.com very informative. The article is professionally written and I feel like the author knows the subject very well. www.momlogic.com keep it that way.

cheapviagra1210 August 30, 2010, 11:42 AM