Ellen on Hate Crime

Ellen DeGeneres speaks from the heart about a difficult topic.

Ellen speaks candidly about the murder of 15-year-old Lawrence King, an openly gay 8th grader allegedly shot to death by a fellow male student who he asked to be his Valentine.

next: Sexy Pajama Parties for Moms?
Reverend Marc J. Silver February 29, 2008, 4:20 PM

Yesterday February 28, 2008, I was witness to a memorial for a young man who was murdered in a viscous manner because of his sexual orientation.The need for support is great, on Saturday morning a gay man and his life partner was first verbally assaulted then beaten as he was getting into his car.
I am hoping that the gay community here and everywhere registers to vote, they also need to be able to ask the hard questions.

RealMomsHaveCurves  February 29, 2008, 4:24 PM

I am saddened that a child would think it’s okay to kill anyone, esp. for those reasons.

Outraged Mom February 29, 2008, 4:27 PM

I can’t believe things like this are still occuring in this day and age. It is so upsetting that someone is not allowed to be him or herself without suffering, or in this case, dying for it. People who are gay cannot change the way they feel, it’s just the way they are. It’s innate and not a choice. I know because my brother is gay. He is fortunate enough to have a family who loves him unconditionally.
We need to make a difference in this world and we need to start now!

Patricia Gray February 29, 2008, 4:28 PM

It truly scares me in this day and age, that people are still so cruel. These hate crimes are continually in the news and it would seem that people cannot learn from the pain and hurt they cause to others. When will the world understand that we are all “people”? I don’t even agree with the terminology used in describing people; black/white, gay/straight, etc. What are these words suppose to mean? People, just people, all the same with our own makeups. We are who we are and we were put here to love one another. Think what a happier world we would be. You rock, Ellen……….don’t stop doing all that you do to educate the world.

Nicki Anderson February 29, 2008, 4:35 PM

I cannot believe this kind of hate crime is still going on. As a 48 y.o.lesbian who has been “out” since I was 18, I have seen my share of discrimination against gays. from people throwing rocks thru a plate glass window at a birthday for a 7 year old boy (because his aunt was gay) to people shooting into a bar crowd from a freeway, to the 2 friends that were killed because they were gay and the one that committed suicide because of being harassed. But this was 20-30 years ago…. We are actually finally seeing some states giving us some of the rights that we have fought for for so many years (I was marching for rights in 1978). I have 2 boys 30 and 21 and they grew up with the fact that mom was gay and my youngest had friends that actually thought it was cool.
I actually had myself fooled to think that this country was finally accepting that “we have always been here and always will be”
To hear about this kills me and my heart goes out to the families of both the victim and to the boy who shot him as his life is now ruined also. ESPECIALLY when a simple “I’m sorry I’m not interested” would have worked. When will this world learn.

Amy  February 29, 2008, 4:37 PM

I just watched you give an emotional statement about the Larry, a gay boy that was murdered by a Heterosexual classmate.

Death, whether of a child or an adult is devestating.

Many lives are forever changed.

I think not only is this murder a crime, but I believe the failure of a child,caused by either the parents, or school systems, by not teaching love, respect, and understanding is a Crime.

Children learn by watching, and listening.

Becareful of what you show your Child. You are the role model.

God Bless Larry and his Family.

God bless Brandon and his Family.

Tucker February 29, 2008, 4:55 PM

I am as straight as they come and I couldn’t give a hoot about who sleeps with who or what their sexual preferences are. I do not know why others seem to care (or judge) so much. I agree 100 % with Ellen on the fact that these hate crimes have got to stop! But…I do not understand what getting out and voting is going to do to change things? People are going to believe what they want to believe and think what they want to think. It doesn’t matter who sits in the presidential seat. Change will have to start in the home. Kids don’t automatically learn to hate. They are brought up that way. The learn what they live and then they pass it on to their kids and so on. It’s not the governments fault that people are prejudice or hateful.

Noreen February 29, 2008, 5:24 PM

Yes we should start at home with our children and teach them right, but when our government officials opening condemn a group of people and deny equal rights, what message does that send to the people…and our children. Get out and VOTE for officials who will honor EQUAL RIGHTS for all.

Elizabeth Noreault February 29, 2008, 5:34 PM

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your heartwarming message in regards to the death of this precious young man. As a mother of a trangender who before he knew, was our lesbian daughter, the hate from some people has been and continues to be, my biggest fear! Thank you from all of us who worry and pray for our children every day! I hope everyone takes a moment of silence for this young boy who didn’t deserve to die!
God bless you, ELLEN, and much love. I have the utmost respect for you for bringing this to the attention of your watchers. Hopefully, you will even save someone else from pain!

Elaine-Friend of Humanity February 29, 2008, 6:06 PM

I got on this website while watching Ellen talk about the heinous crime by a teenager, I was so emotionally moved. I am glad my parents taught us to be open minded. (I’m 53) When I was 18, my best friend’s brother, Pat (he was 21) brought his boyfriend, Lynn home for the family to meet. They were surprised, but supportive & this was 1972! I was there & not even phased. Through Pat, I now have MANY gay & lesbian friends. There’s a small “community” of them that have been friends for over 25 yrs. Pat is my camping & motorcycling partner. Lynn is my shopping partner & so much more. He knows more about women than me! My kids know them well. They’ve also met some of the others. My Grandson loves Lynn & Gary, my boss, who’s also Gay. I’m glad I taught my children well, as they are open minded too. Did I mention we live in Alabama, where people think we are all a bunch of rednecks? Well, most of the people here are redneck. I wish more people could look at people as just that, people. That means race, sexual orientation, faith, etc. Ellen, I admire you for speaking out. You have done a lot to bring bigotry to light. You’re a BRAVE person. Your show is the ONLY daytime show I have ever watched, except the news. Oh, while I’m here, it’s wonderful what you are doing for New Orleans. I lived there, went to UNO, for 10 yrs. I still visit often. I refer to NOLA as my 2nd home. One of my brothers has lived there since the 60’s. His house had little damage, Garden District. My house, if I still lived there, would have been a total loss. (Lakeview) I love animals too & am a member of NWF, WWF, Birmingham Humane Society) I’m sorry this is so long, I really wanted to share my experiences with you, as I think I can relate in so many ways. I also want to thank you for ALL you do. You are a BRAVE & GENEROUS person. God bless you.

Kateri February 29, 2008, 7:23 PM

I was so moved to hear about the horrible death of Larry. His picture showed a cute, cute kid, who looked SO innocent! It’s a shame he died so young. It’s a shame Brandon has such hatred in his heart, that he committed such a crime. God bless them both.
Ellen thank you for bringing this to the public’s attention. You are a courageous person. Thank you for being you.

Victor March 1, 2008, 2:00 AM

Thanks for making people aware of this situation, I was touched while hearing this story. I love your show, my day lightens up when I watch you. Love your style. Keep it up! BTW. I LOVE PETS TOO.

beth  March 2, 2008, 1:10 AM

My heart is breaking for Larrys family. Ellen is so on the money with her comments, we need change!

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 5:37 PM

Interesting information. Good to read. There is a single thing to give about funny t-shirts.

do follow March 29, 2011, 12:35 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

dofollow list gov March 29, 2011, 2:09 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

finance articles March 30, 2011, 10:52 PM

Interesting , how do I make use of this?

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 6:05 AM

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are amazing! Thanks!

computer repair services March 31, 2011, 1:05 PM

Thank you for any other informative site. The place else may I get that kind of info written in such an ideal means? I have a project that I am just now working on, and I’ve been at the look out for such info.

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 1:52 PM

Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this web site.