Everybody Poops

Rebecca of Main St. Diaries is experiencing diaper and poop overload.

AA013136.jpg

I am so, so sick of diapers. Our baby Dawson is about 18 months (or something like that, I don't know. Once I had two, I just stopped keeping track) and Liam is just over 3 and I feel like all I do is change diapers and wipe butts. Tonight, I was rinsing out a diaper once again, and I just thought, I can't believe the amount of fecal matter I have to deal with around here.

We did cloth diapers for two years with Liam, then chlorine-free disposables, and while I've read all the arguments about disposables not being as bad for the environment as it seems like they would be, I just keep thinking about all those plastic diapers, piling up, millions of them, never biodegrading. Where do they go? They never, ever break down. They just sit in a landfill somewhere, accumulating, until we dump them into the sea, and become part of that huge 150 mile wide cloud of bits of plastic that's choking sea life. Recently, we found G-diapers (reusable cloth diaper covers with flushable liners) which I think are brilliant and are relatively easy to use, but it still means I'm spending a fair amount of time rinsing poop off of things.

Mostly, though, I am sick of seeing people on the toilet. We have been working on potty training my oldest son Liam and have gotten to this point where the bathroom door is always open because I read in a book somewhere that's what you should do to make the child feel like using the toilet is natural and normal. A few nights ago Liam and Tommy (my husband) were sitting on their respective toilets, with the doors open, and I was trying to clean the kitchen which is right next to the bathroom. This is the conversation that went on:

Digusting noise.
Tommy: "Oh my goodness. What was that noise?"
Liam: "That was just my bum making a silly sound."
Silence.
Liam: "Poop is coming!"
Tommy: "Hooray! Daddy's pooping too!"
More disgusting sounds.
Liam: "Does Mommy want to see my poop?"
Me: "NO!"
Liam: "Do you want to see my poop, Daddy?"
Tommy: "Sure. Do you want to see my poop?"
Me: "THAT IS ENOUGH!"
Bathroom door is forcibly shut.
Liam: "Is Mommy happy?"

Well. That's a question for the ages, isn't it?

A day or two later I was trying to get both of the boys out the door and to daycare, and I was putting sunscreen on Dawson (who is remarkably loud and was shrieking as if I was rubbing him with poison ivy) when I saw Liam headed out the door with his potty. I said, "What on God's green earth are you doing?" and he said, "I going outside to poop." I said, "No. NO! You may not poop outside. We go inside in this family." And Liam said, "But I like pooping outside. I can hear the birds."

Sometimes I think the best and worst thing about having children is that you often get what you ask for. Did I not want to raise a child who loves and respects nature? Did I not want to raise a kid who is comfortable with his own body? On the one hand, I'm thrilled that he wants to listen to songbirds. On the other hand, we live on Main Street in a small town and both of the children are total nudists to begin with. So I'm glad the boy likes the birds. I'm glad everyone in my house is comfortable with going to the bathroom. But the potty stays inside. It doesn't seem like too much to ask.

All that said, at least he took his potty with him.

To visit Main St. Diaries, click here.

next: Unexpected Hero Saves Family
shoshana February 16, 2008, 8:28 PM

well, you sound like a very loving mother!

loraine February 19, 2008, 9:36 AM

Kids will not go potty consistently until they are ready, plain and simple. Show them how things work, make it a regular part of the day, do not stress or it will not work at all and all are going to therapy one year or another. Teaching is giving knowledge, allowing practice, allowing individual differences, and then stepping back and hoping most of it sunk in for good use. I’ve helped train about 80 toddlers. :-)

Anonymous February 21, 2008, 2:11 PM

I know this day is coming for me, as I have a 14 month old son and another due in June (son as well, of course), and I was laughing so hard tears were rolling down my face. I use cloth too, and even with only one my husband and I joke about how great it will be when we’re not rinsing poop off diapers anymore! I can only imagine the amount of poop in the house with two in diapers, and I think by that point I’d be happy if my son wanted to poop outside— at least it’s in the toilet and not in a diaper!!!

nyaira February 25, 2008, 4:24 PM

with my son i am having a hard time potty training also. I don’t know if it’s true but some say girls are easier than boys. I am still in the process and still nothing is working. Maybe when he’s ready he’ll go on his own!!!

Rachael February 10, 2009, 8:20 AM

I just came across this today. I started laughing so hard I couldn’t do much else. My 2 almost 3 yr old was looking at me like I was crazy. We have two girls, but if we had boys; I can imagine that very scenario in my own home. It still might happen, even girls, lol.

Red Hair Styles For Black Women November 25, 2010, 12:09 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

DeSean Jackson Super Bowl Jersey January 6, 2011, 11:24 PM

You genuinely make it seem so simple together with your presentation but I come across this topic to be actually some thing which I believe I would in no way recognize. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post.

Nike Shox R3 January 10, 2011, 9:33 AM

This website has a lot excellent data on it, I check on it everyday. I wish other sites spent as a lot blood sweat and tears as this 1 does creating information clearer to readers like myself. I recommend this page to all of my facebook buddies. This website will make some enormous passive profit I???¨º?¨¨m particular. I hope my internet site does at the same time as this one, it refers to jewelry buyers houston

Kieth Cody February 1, 2011, 4:04 PM

Hello.This article was really fascinating, especially since I was investigating for thoughts on this issue last Monday.

Judson Coward February 20, 2011, 8:45 PM

I have been reading out many of your posts and it’s pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your site.

Brenton Bhatnagar February 24, 2011, 5:10 AM

Keep working ,great job!

tokyo February 25, 2011, 4:07 PM

When are you going to post again? You really inform me!

praca February 26, 2011, 1:17 PM

Super news it is without doubt. My teacher has been looking for this tips.

praca February 26, 2011, 4:13 PM

I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

buty February 26, 2011, 4:48 PM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Wesley Atamian February 27, 2011, 2:58 AM

Thank you for your wonderful article! It is very useful. I hope that you’ll carry on sharing your knowledge with us.

program telewizyjny February 27, 2011, 4:00 AM

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

unilateral hearing loss February 28, 2011, 10:36 AM

Well I truly enjoyed reading it. This tip offered by you is very useful for correct planning.

buty February 28, 2011, 1:02 PM

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m attempting to find things to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

ccna book February 28, 2011, 1:09 PM

I like this post very much. I’ll certainly be back again. Hope that I can go through much more informative posts then. Will likely be sharing your knowledge with all of my friends!