Kindergartener calls 911 and saves his mother's life.
Sandy: While eating nacho chips, I had to sneeze. I couldn't get the chip out in time and it got sucked down my throat as I inhaled while sneezing. My little boy came downstairs and he says, "Mommy, are you okay?" I shook my head. He asked if I needed help, and I nodded. I handed him the phone and he looked at me and said, "911?" I shook my head yes, and he dialed and talked to the lady.
Mom•Logic: How soon did help arrive?
Sandy: The police department arrived first. They got here before anyone else did. It couldn't have even been a minute. It was not very long. The officer came in and did the Heimlich maneuver. Mathew let him in and showed him where I was and said I was choking.
Mom•Logic: What was it like for you?
Sandy: I was trying not to be upset or freak out. I was trying to stay calm because my little boy was sitting there watching me. I had my little kid watching me and I didn't know what to do really. I could not breathe at all.
Mom•Logic: How did Mathew know how to dial 911?
Sandy: He said they taught it in his kindergarten class. I asked his teacher, but she said she only read the kids a book about it. They also taught the kids safety lessons in his preschool. Our town also offers a safety course in electrical, fire, and water safety. He was exposed to safety warnings from the time he was a baby. We have not missed a community safety day in four years, and I am so glad I went now because it paid off. I am very lucky to have my son.