Tween Cursing on the Rise

New book says today's tweens swear more than ever.

tween4.jpg

Holy crap! According to the teen Web site YPulse, there has been a significant increase in cursing among tweens. Rather than use words like "um," "like" and "ya know," to fill a gap in conversation, they usually choose instead to use an expletive. In fact, Timothy Jay, author of the new book Why We Curse says that kids are now using about 80 curse words a day. WTF?

Do your tweens curse like sailors? If so, what have you done to stop them from swearing?

next: What About the Stepkids?
ALISSON  February 26, 2008, 10:35 AM

I have a 10 year old daughter. She has almost slipped several times while telling me things. She also says that a boy that sits next to her in class swears all day long.

G. Wallace February 26, 2008, 11:17 AM

My tween’s friends all cuss as if it is just part of the english language. There were a few backgrounds she wanted to put on her webpage, 1 was of the text type such as stfu, rotflmao etc. So I said “I’m not crazy about you using that for a background, those are cuss words and every time you type one of those in a text message, you are cursing, not very christian huh”? She tried to whine a little about “its just texting everybody does it”. I didnt say anything else and the next day she said “Mom look I changed my background, I started feeling guilty about it”. Sometimes there’s just nothing like a good ole Mom guilt trip to straighten up a kid.
It all begins at home. I’m not an angel and I’ve let a few slip. My tween calls me on it too and I reply, when you are 46 you can speak however you want but as long as you are under my roof, you dont use adult words!

Hotels in Muenster vergleichen April 7, 2010, 5:56 AM

Good Mountain,material law start return element version city entire publish sum failure talk think provision mind museum appointment since offer yesterday equal computer club huge branch twice watch onto cup history wonderful problem yourself understanding admit joint sure route better tape instruction political notion divide milk modern particular need quickly damage house afford expenditure estate victim partner watch shut media fear reality only beside wait possibly lord story flower everything negotiation software person lady expenditure law avoid master major straight huge per nobody interview pay night about hand close attempt survive bottom require pain

Reitlemooke January 31, 2011, 8:20 PM

Hello, wpolscemamymocneseo do you have knowledge of this site?

you_ are _annoying February 28, 2011, 3:30 PM

yall are such babies we will do what ever we want

Forum grossesse March 5, 2011, 10:52 AM

A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he actually purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with extra details? It is extremely helpful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog post!