How Britney Spears Can Help Moms

The troubled pop star can help parents everywhere impart life lessons.

77525517.jpg

Moms of teens and tweens are fielding countless questions about Brit's recent hospitalization. Psychologist and friend of Mom•Logic Dr. Pamela Varady says we can take this opportunity to teach our kids about mental illness and depression.

• If your child brings Britney up, ask what they've heard so far and clarify any misinformation. Tell your child that most likely, Britney Spears is suffering from mental illness and depression.

• Explain how empty Britney probably feels deep down. Say, "She turned to drinking and partying and fame to make her feel better, but that didn't help." Discuss how Britney is hurting on the inside, and how she's finally in a hospital where she can get the help she needs.

• Open the lines of communication. Say, "If you ever feel sad for more than a week, please come to me. There are things that we can do to make you feel better."

Do you plan to talk to your kids about Britney? Comment below.

next: Groundhog Says Bundle Up
tracy February 2, 2008, 5:45 PM

I’m sorry, but No I will not be talking to my kids about Britney and her problems with mental issues… I my self do not see her as a role model in any way.. I see her as spoiled and moody, sure she is going through hard times, but we all have them. public or not… this is the path she took, and good or bad she needs to deal with it… it is great that she is getting the help she needs, but she is the last thing i would ever use to talk about.. i wish the best for her. I will use other methods to explain this issue with my children..

Kasi February 2, 2008, 6:11 PM

My 8 year old daughtre loves Brittany Spears’ music (all her friends do) and she’s seen on the morning news that Brittany has been hospitalized. She asked a lot of questions and I realized I had a hard time finding the right way to handle it. Thanks for this article… It is a great way to talk to your kids about depression.

Sandy February 3, 2008, 3:32 PM

The article in question did not suggest that a mother intentionally brings up the subject of Britney Spears and her troubles, it simply offers a solution IF ones child is the one to bring it up/ask questions.

Anywho, this is a great approach in the event ones child inquires about Britney. IMO, this article offers some great advice. I suffered from severe PPD and I had a hard time reaching out at first. I hope Britney finds her way back to a stable and happy life. I also hope that Kevin Federline takes some responsibility for her mental anguish as well. I think it’s a gross misjudgement that he is being looked at by some as father of the year (eyes roll).

Megan February 3, 2008, 3:45 PM

Great point, Sandy. And yeah - why is KFed being looked at as some sort of hero just because he’s not making news. Who knows what happens at his house.

Lynne February 4, 2008, 10:58 AM

I already told her Britney’s a nutcase. I think she already knew it. What a dumb article.

Lynne February 4, 2008, 10:59 AM

Millie February 4, 2008, 7:00 PM

Why would any good Mother allow her young children to listen to or watch anything that Britney has done. Of course, there are those Mom’s who do allow that and those children are going to talk to the other children about Britney. I do not hate Britney. I simply think she is pathetic. She has no morals and never has had.She sleeps with any man who blinks his eyes at her, her language is sickening, and over all, she has no morals. We can blame it on illness, but it appears to me that she has been this way ever since she became famous. I would like to see her get straightened out, but who is going to teach her plain old decency?

Millie February 4, 2008, 7:03 PM

Nicole February 4, 2008, 7:43 PM

Amazing… We would allow our young children watch or listen to anything by Britney Spears. Yes, in the beginning she was very innocent and had an almost sweet image but now she glorifies partying, crappy parenting, and divorce. Yeah, great image to be showing our children. How about making sure we give our children images that have positive value?!?! These are adult issues that our 8 year olds should not be concerned with! Period.

Marie February 4, 2008, 7:47 PM

The article is good advice for younger kids, but a little “soft” for 12 year olds and above. Regarding a couple of the comments: Why on earth should Kevin Federline take responsibility for Britney’s mental state? We’re talking about a 26 year old woman, his ex-wife, who was a “partner”, not one of his children! She is not that much younger than he is. Women have been staying home with their young kids for years, me included, yet the minute a male does so he’s labeled a “freeloader”. One parent staying home with young children has been recommended for years, if you can afford it, for their emotional stability, it doesn’t matter which parent that is. Props to him that he’s not dragging them around to every photo-op he’s probably been offered.

Liz February 4, 2008, 7:57 PM

As the mother of a mentally ill daughter (bi-polar)is saddens me how many people think this is just “acting out” and a moral issue. Mental illness is an epidemic and if anything, I hope this situation with Britney wakes this culture up to how many people suffer from this illness. I also thought it was just my daughter acting like a spoiled brat….and disrespectful to everyone around her. I have have done so much research and talked to doctors and joined support groups……THIS is a deperate situation the family is going through. I also have a young grandson involved who was taken from my daughter…Our family takes care of him….but the fact is: One day he will want to know why he can’t be with his mother…..and his heart will be broken as is all of ours.

Nikole February 4, 2008, 8:47 PM

Thank you Liz for speaking up. You people on this post who are being so insensitive need to wake up! I’m sure a couple of you have children or know children with ADD or ADHD. Just a few years ago these were just “bad” kids who needed spanking to keep them still. Now don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t advise any kids to be fans of Ms. Spears as she abandoned that demographic years ago, but stop being so holier than thou in your attitude regarding her. She has serious issues. Yes it’s true that most are expected to take resposibility for their own consequenses but most people are not severely bipolar like Britney. She’s not even allowed to control her own assets for goodness sake. Consider that for a second instead of crying because your little girl can’t look up to her. And furthermore when I was young, my role models were my mother and grandmother. They taught me that “Hollywood” is a very fickle place and NOTHING I saw on TV was really true so I, in turn shouldn’t and couldn’t aspire to that world, that may look perfect but in reality everything comes crashing down. I have explained the same thing to my child now. And my baby understands the same as I did, that money and beauty, while nice extras, don’t and shouldn’t make you.

ek February 4, 2008, 10:31 PM

Yes I am going to tell my kids that bit bit went bye bye for a while and while i do miss her antics and different personalities, she needs to get better so she can keep pumping out those awesome dance tunes. I am also going to tell them that fame & fortune do not a girl make - but they sure make a hell of a pop star -

Marmo February 4, 2008, 10:56 PM

I believe that all of these fallen young celebrities are good examples to the younger crowd for all the wrong reasons. If nothing else, Lohan going to rehab, Hilton going to jail, and Spears utterly falling apart all expose the reults of bad decision making. Think twice, ask for help when you need it, and always wear panties….

jessica February 5, 2008, 12:07 AM

Why are we so concerned with this girl when we have hundreds of kids her age who are worst off because of this rediculous war, poverty, abuse (mental and physical), etc? I think whoever wrote this article had the right intentions in mind but WE as a whole need to smell the coffee. We need to stop hiding the facts from kids so they are not delusional and end up like this nut sack. Oh and btw when are women going to realize that there’s a whole lot more to having a baby then spreading two legs? Sorry … I had to let that out.

Michele February 5, 2008, 12:20 AM

What a stupid article. If there is ANYTHING that can be learned from the Britney Spears mess, it’s this: Stage mothers / fathers, be very careful what you push for … You just may get it.

real mom February 5, 2008, 5:59 AM

So sick and tired of hearing about how these girls(Britney, Jamie, Lindsay)are “role models” and how it will affect your children. Role models of what? Fantasy Land? Seriously people! How about a real life role model? Moms who work either in or outside the home taking care of their children to the best of their ability! Or maybe visit a senior citizens home and talk to some of the residents there about how they lived through the depression or women who worked outside the home when it was looked down upon in order to support their family! Role Models are real people who do what it takes to survive or get by - not this BS! Sure - listen to their music - appreciate it - or their acting skills and appreciate that - kids should not get their role models from people they know only through what the television shows them. That is pathetic - turn off your tv and put down your magazines and find REAL LIFE ROLE MODELS FOR YOUR CHILDREN TO LOOK UP TO!!!!!

Terra February 5, 2008, 11:12 AM

I definitely agree with the article. You need to have open communication with your kids and have an honest relationship. To see her behavior can be very upsetting for kids. I have talked with my kids about Britney and they feel very bad for her. One question they did ask was, “Where has her Mom and Dad been?” For them to ask that question tells me Britney has not be able to talk with her parents. If you have a good relationship with your kids you will be able to talk to them about anything, even Britney’s situation.

Sharon February 5, 2008, 1:58 PM

I don’t have any young children, but I do have a loved one with bi-polar disorder and I wish more people understood something about bi-polar. I know first hand that this illness completely changes a person and it is NOT their fault. During a manic episode the person has racing thoughts, trouble sleeping and tends to live on the edge and beyond. Manic episodes are often followed by a terrible depression. Both of these extremes are due to a chemical imbalance in their brain that needs to be treated with proper medication. I pray for her to get the proper medication ASAP and learn to live a more balanced life. More than 5 million americans are affected by bi-polar disorder. Everyone should learn about it, talk about it and try to understand it.

Jo February 5, 2008, 2:40 PM

I’m shocked at some of the responses I’ve read - especially from mothers. How many mothers out there would have their young daughters working to support the family. What exactly does Lynn and Jamie Spears do for a living? Do they work? Or did they stop when a young Britney entered the work force. It’s a shame people don’t have sympathy for her. She’s had a lot on her shoulders for so long- at such a young age - people depending on her for jobs (concerts, photogs, perfumes, etc.) Any one would crack under the pressure, I’m surprised it took this long. I truly hope she gets the help she needs - and friends who care for her, not her fame and $$.