What is Labial Fusion?

Julie's Mom•Logic: When my daughter was diagnosed with a fused labia, I didn't know what to do.

When my daughter was 1, she was diagnosed with a "fused labia." This meant the lips of her vagina were fused together, and there was just a small opening that allowed her to urinate. Of course, I was scared. What is a fused labia, and what can be done about it? OB/GYN and friend of Mom•Logic Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz explains.

Has your daughter experienced this? If so, how did you treat it? Comment below.

next: Moms Are Talking About...
Mom in Mass February 22, 2008, 8:28 AM

This is not as uncommon as one might think. Oftentimes, the doctor will prescribe a topical estrogen cream (Premarin) to help ease/release the fusion. If it is not that serious, they might recommend the use of vaseline. Of course, there is always the likelihood that the doctor could open the area, which is a bit painful for the child.

Anonymous February 22, 2008, 10:13 AM

My doctor prescribed Premarin for my daughter but it was not tested on kids so I was too scared to administer it to her. (Said it could cause cancer possibly.) My pediatrician said it should open up on its own when she hits puberty and that as long as she has room to pee and isn’t getting urinary tract or bladder infections, it’s fine to leave it alone for now.

Stacie February 22, 2008, 1:28 PM

my daughter had this when she was about 9 months old. it went away around the time she quit wearing diapers, around age 2.5.
Her doctor prescribed premarin, but she would scream like it was burning her when i applied it, so i talked to my ob/gyn who said that as long as it didn’t bother her, why should it bother me? i thought that was great advice.

RealMomsHaveCurves  February 22, 2008, 3:07 PM

so scary for the little girl. I wonder if they have books on this sort of thing.

Jenny February 22, 2008, 3:36 PM

I also used Premarin on my daughter. This has happened twice to her. Both times after about two weeks of using the cream it opened back up and was just fine. But I did freak out a lot thinking what if it didn’t and it affected her adult life!

Pam Winters April 10, 2008, 9:35 PM

I discovered this with my second daughter when she was three years old. She had to have a simple outpatient procedure. She was put under anesthesia, only because to do it the doctor office would be traumatic. You know, I had four daughters and not once did my pediatrician say to watch for it!
I was more aware of it with my next two daughters, making sure they they stayed ‘separated’ by using a little mineral oil now and then because little girls don’t have the natural lubrication and are dry. With all my reading, I have never come across this condition over the last thirty years of child rearing. Now I have a grand daughter that I watch when I change her.Thanks for bringing this to moms’ attention!

Toni August 11, 2008, 3:35 PM

My daughter was given all different kinds of cream to open her fused labia…In the end she had to have surgery to open it.. And i was told to put vasaline on it to stop it closing again… I put it on for months, then when I was told to stop, it closed up again.. So the procedure had to be repeated..Just wondering how long I have to do this… I’m scared to stop because it might close up again..

Enfant forum March 5, 2011, 2:36 PM

A formidable share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a little evaluation on this. And he the truth is purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If doable, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with more details? It’s highly useful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog publish!