Mom's New Job: College Admissions

As competition grows fierce and college acceptance letters dwindle, Moms go over the top to get kids into the schools of their dreams.

dv1850032.jpg

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, parents of the class of 2009 are doing whatever it takes to help them make the grade. Some parents have planned family vacations around their kids' college campus tours. Others have actually quit their jobs so they can focus all their attention on getting their child into the college of their choice.

How far would you go to get your kids into college? Is quitting your job a smart move, or do you think some parents are going overboard?

next: Moms Are Talking About...
Stumped March 17, 2008, 5:38 PM

Seriously…getting your kids into college isn’t a full time job…and what would that possibly do except make paying tuition that much harder???

SugarPlumFairy March 17, 2008, 5:54 PM

Well, if you only have one income, you will get more financial aid.

Christina @ Wonder Years Radio March 17, 2008, 6:02 PM

I understand wanting the best for your kids but why is it up to the parents to ensure their kids get in to college??

Shouldn’t the STUDENT be doing the work, getting good grades, and taking that responsibility?

If parents do everything, then these kids won’t know what to do with themselves in simple everyday situations.

Stumped March 17, 2008, 6:53 PM

Financial aid…maybe…depending on who’s in office by then!

MomInAlabama March 20, 2008, 5:12 PM

I understand wanting to give your child a leg-up on the competition….but quiting your job to help your child get into college is a little extreme. When I was getting into school my mom did take me on some campus visits, but as a single mom she didn’t have the option to take off time to do this. She took me to my SAT classes and she proof-read my entrance exam essays, but the burden was on me to get it together and get into school if I was really serious about going.

I have worked in the counseling office at the college that I graduated from and people do their kids a great diservice when they hand-hold them through the college experience! How are they ever going to learn independence and the skills that it will take to navigate themselves through four vigorous years of school when you’re doing all the work for them?

They have coined this term “helicopter parenting” and it does not allow your child to reap the benefits of these types of successess, such as getting admitted on their own merit.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:15 AM

It’s good too read your site again dude, i see some interesting updates here…

electronic cigarette April 8, 2011, 3:45 PM

Your site is very interesting. May i write article for you, could you publish it here ? Please mail me