Mom Defends Cage Fighting for Kids

Missouri Mom defends her decision to allow her children to participate in controversial new sport.

Mom•Logic: How did you and your kids get involved with cage fighting?

Jennifer: My kids have been wrestling for years. This year, they learned about kids' cage fighting and wanted to do it. I had no idea what it was, so I was a little nervous. But my husband said they could do it if they wanted to. We trusted their coach, and we were assured that the kids wear protective gear. There is a weight class so the kids are within 10-15 pounds of each other, and there is an age class so they are within a year of each other.

The cage is two to three feet off the floor, like a boxing ring, and it's protected for safety. The floor has give or bounce. There are springs that pop, giving off a cool and loud noise as the kids hit the floor. The crowd gets excited when the kids hit the floor because it makes an echo sound, and it's awesome.

Mom•Logic: Are you concerned about the safety of your three kids?

Jennifer: I was extremely nervous at first. The kids' first fight was the first one I ever attended, so I didn't really know what to expect. But now that I know what it is and how many precautions are taken, I don't have any safety concerns. At any point, the referee has the discretion to stop the match if a child is in harm's way. I haven't seen any kids get hurt because it's stopped before it becomes a safety issue.

Mom•Logic: How do you feel about daughter doing this?

Jennifer: I like it because it helps her with self-defense. I don't have to worry about her as much now, or when she gets older. If she was on a date and something was to happen, she can defend herself and I don't have to worry.

Mom•Logic: Have you heard criticism from others?

Jennifer: I have heard criticism. I think before people criticize or judge this sport, they should attend a practice or match to see how hard the kids work, train, and how much protective gear they wear. Then they will see the sport from a different point of view, and they will probably come to like it. They'll realize that kids cage fighting is not as dangerous as they think.

next: A Mom's Weight Loss Miracle
Kelley March 29, 2008, 10:52 AM

Dress it up however you want, but this is still a disgusting, violent sport, and I’m in complete shock that parents would subject their kids to that. Take a look at the adult version of cage fighting, and see what your kids are aspiring to.

Anna September 4, 2008, 11:44 PM

why outlaw cock fighting, when you can have toddler fights?

dj September 14, 2008, 12:39 AM

u can clearly see in some vids the kids have protective gear. u never tried it so u dnt like it but that happens with anything. n the adults are different in saftey and rules. also UFC is safer than playing a tackle football game….believe it or not. ive done both. n if ur kid wanted to do sumthing r u going 2 shoot him down? they get paid 6 figures(at least) now how much do u make Mr Saftey?

cooldaddy September 27, 2008, 12:46 AM

You want to keep your kids out of a risky activity? Take a look at the common injuries from Cheerleading and Ballet. In Football we give kids a helmet and shoulder pads. In Cheerleading we give them a skirt, throw them 15 feet in the air and expect a 80lb girl to catch them.

My Daughter and boys compete in an amature mma league and love it. You can check out the rules at www.fightleague.org and see some matches by searching “dvdhatchery” on YouTube. MMA can be a great & safe sport for kids given the right rules and safety oversight.

bettingufc February 22, 2011, 7:59 AM

This is what i was looking for, awsome website

bet on ufc

buyroidsonline February 22, 2011, 2:10 PM

I have bookmarked your www , i read it often.
Prohormones for sale

srbijabookmaker February 22, 2011, 3:56 PM

I came across your www and now i’m big fan of your writing talent
bet at home srbija

milenium February 23, 2011, 2:34 AM

I think you got talent in writing posts. Waiting for more articles
najlepsze platne typy

Cady May 20, 2011, 11:43 PM

Haha. I woke up down today. You’ve ceeherd me up!

Kevrel May 22, 2011, 8:10 AM

You’ve got it in one. Coudln’t have put it better.