'Nanny Cam' Nanny Arrested

This video struck fear in the hearts of Moms everywhere.

Stephanie Merrill, the nanny caught on tape abusing 7-month-old twins, was arrested yesterday and charged with two counts of child abuse. Watching the tape got some Moms thinking about getting nanny cams too. Check out this disturbing video:

videogonebutton.jpg

Should you get a nanny cam? We asked Nanny Stella from Fox's Nanny 911 just that. "I am not against the use of nanny cams, but I am against the use of them in secret. If you are extremely nervous about leaving your child with a stranger and initially want to ease your mind and help ensure your child's safety and well-being, then wire it up! But if you are using it to be in control and spy on your nanny and your children, then shame on you. The relationship of nanny and family is based hugely on trust. For a nanny to find out that she is being watched/taped without her knowledge could lead to the loss of a valuable member of your support system."

What do you think?

next: A Life-Changing Episode of 'Wife Swap'
SugarPlumFairy March 13, 2008, 7:20 PM

Who cares about the trust relationship?? I care more about my kids.

dulce303 March 13, 2008, 7:26 PM

I would just go crazy on someone if they disrespected my children in that way. Babies are not dolls… what the heck was she thinking? What a slob! She must be an unhappy person, it’s evident in the way she was dressed and her lazy mannerisms. She should stay far away from children. Watching that video makes my stomach turn! She has some nerve being that disrespectful to a defenseless baby.

julie9876 March 13, 2008, 9:24 PM

I would definitely install a nanny cam, but I would let them know just to be courteous. If they have a problem with it, then you’d know not to hire them. If you think of it that way it could actually prevent you from hiring the wrong person if you tell tham beforehand. I can’t believe that woman. My heart goes out to the parents who had to watch this. I wouldn’t have been able to control myself. This woman should never be allowed to work with children again.

Karen March 13, 2008, 10:52 PM

If one knows that a cam exists, abuse may just occur outside of the video area if a caretaker tends toward abuse. If I had children, I would have to protect my children first and hope that any caretaker who truly cared about my children would understand if the cam were discovered, or disclosed, later.

Amber[[a.k.a]]Logan's mom March 15, 2008, 1:45 AM

I can not even explain to you the shock I felt when I saw that poor defenseless baby just drop off to her side! My daughter is only two months old and seeing that made me want to cry, I can’t even imagine treating a child with such little care. That video is the exact reason I am so scared to go back to work!

momof2 March 15, 2008, 8:56 AM

It’s interesting to see that the video from the nanny cam was able to aid in the prosecution of the nanny. I think there was a lot of public pressure on law enforcement to make the decision they made - sometimes public outrage serves a legitimate purpose.

Recently, there has been a movement among parents to take back control. Sites like ISawYourNanny.blogspot and HowsMyNanny.com were created to enable parents to learn about what is going on when they are not around - hopefully before any harm is done.

While there are certainly wonderful nannies out there, it’s videos like this one that make parents worry. How does one ever know who is capable of such behavior? Certainly the parents of the twins in the video are sleeping better at night now. Kudos to you for protecting your children. Best of luck to you both.

JJ March 15, 2008, 8:58 AM

It’s time for a few mummy cams, since we seem to believe we are better than we are.

sojohera March 16, 2008, 12:50 PM

I would never let my child be disrespected like that by some so called nanny. I think that you should install these nanny cams. If I had my way she would be treated alot worse that she did to that baby to see how she likes it! NOBODY hurts my child!

sojohera March 16, 2008, 12:51 PM

Shade June 4, 2008, 12:11 AM

That was shocking! I have four children and I would not have a problem setting up a nanny cam.But I also agree with the comment made by nanny stella about having trusting relationship with the person you hire to care for your children.If you have a good relationship with that person, everyone in the house would fair better from it.

KCKlipper June 22, 2008, 8:15 PM

That was funny. If I was that nanny I would have raped them afterwards.

Anonymous August 7, 2008, 6:35 AM

the videos not there anymore, but i read the comments… i use cams 2 make sure things in my home are in order and no one stealing or hurting anyone… from the comments i read, i would’ve beat the nanny myself then reported her…

the comment by “kcklipper”!!! who ever u are, u need shot in the head and b left 2 die slowly in agony!!! u must have a history doing that!!! don’t let me catch u!!!

Carla August 7, 2008, 11:12 AM

First of all, if i have to install a nanny cam, than i don’t need that nanny. This is why i chose to have my children in day care where there are other children their ages and licensed day care providers. If i don’t trust you, i don’t want you and for sure don’t need you. This is america and i have choices.

shirley  October 7, 2008, 9:48 PM

I wish there was a way to track down “Kcklipper” It doesn’t matter if you were joking or not, you are one real sick SOB either way. I pray you get what’s coming to you real soon.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:16 AM

It’s good too read your website again buddy, i see some interesting updates here…