OK to Dye Hair When Preggers?

Mom-to-be Jamie Lynn Spears' newly streaked hair makes us wonder.

JLSPEARSKEYS031208_04.JPG Looks like Zoey 101 star Jamie Lynn Spears got her hair colored over the weekend. Some doctors say it's perfectly safe to dye your hair during pregnancy, while others feel it's an absolute no-no. What do you think? And what about that cup she's carrying--if it's java and not decaf, is that OK or no way?

Here are the official recommendations from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:

Coffee: "Up to 300 milligrams of caffeine a day is OK, and it's not even clear that more than that is dangerous," according to Michael Greene, a Harvard professor and spokesperson for the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, in US News and World Report.

Hair Dye: Historically, physicians advised women against dying their hair while pregnant because it was thought to be potentially harmful to the fetus. However, today it is believed that hair dyes are most likely safe to use during pregnancy since very little is absorbed through the skin, according to a statement released by ACOG. Women should realize, though, that because pregnancy causes a change in hormone levels, the hair color may not come out as expected.

next: Big "Gunn's" Brought Out on Biggest Loser
Look at that hair March 19, 2008, 4:37 PM

I agree about the hair dye — with the hormonal changes going on, it’s a waste of your money and the stylist’s time. And a cup of coffee won’t affect most people, but caffeine IS an extra chemical and so why bother?

As for myself, I believe on erring on the side of caution. With three miscarriages under my belt, I didn’t touch a drop of caffeine or color my hair when it came to my fourth (successful, and, may I add, always WANTED) pregnancy. I guess if you’re a Spears, though, you can afford to get your hair colored every week (if it takes or not) and of course pop out yet another kid.

Anonymous March 19, 2008, 9:29 PM

Wow. I’m sorry about your miscarriages but the Spears aren’t the only people who get pregnant unintentionally. While I agree and followed advice that you might want to avoid during the first trimester, my premature gray hair needed to be covered and I was assured by my doctor that it was fine.

Just because she didn’t get pregnant purposely (if that’s the case) doesn’t mean the kid is UNWANTED. Take a breath and be kind.

Amber March 20, 2008, 1:29 AM

I went to get my hair cut often during my pregnancy and you are wanting change a lot (for me at least). I asked and it does not harm the child. I got two things done to my hair and nothing happened I had a healthy boy! I couldn’t stand caffeine because it’d give me headaches. How do they know it’s really coffee and not a steamer or something? She doesn’t look very prenant, but we’ll see more of her I’m sure.

jaz21 March 20, 2008, 2:47 PM

Me personally i wouldnt dye my hair because i wouldnt want to take a chance in hurtin my baby.Maybe it might not affect some fetus but doesnt mean that everybody is in the clear.I have 3 gray hairs and im only 21 so u think i really wanna walk around without dying my hair!!!But i can wait because a healthy babys more important.And as for caffeine dont drink it .

Shayne Lemert August 25, 2010, 4:02 PM

Here’s a funny quote to make you smile :)

A good pun is its own reword. :)

Sam Pham November 13, 2010, 3:27 PM

Great post, I will put it up on my blog.