Okie Mom: 'Shut Up, Sally Kern'

Mom Julie says: Representative Sally Kern makes me ashamed to be an Oklahoman.

Sally Kern

The Internet has been buzzing about Oklahoma State Representative Sally Kern's unbelievable statements about homosexuals. She recently said that homosexuals are a bigger threat to this nation than terrorists.

I am disturbed that a state representative would make such hate-filled remarks publicly. The thought that someone like her is "representing" me frankly makes
me sick.

Sally Kern: You are a Mom. Why are you filled with so much hate? I just don't get it. But don't think for a second that you represent me or my beliefs—because you don't. Not by a long-shot.

next: Medical Mistake Costs Child His Life
SugarPlumFairy March 18, 2008, 11:34 AM

I listened to the audio for her speech. The only part that was actually accurate was that homosexuality is wrong according to the Bible. The fact she compared it to terrorism is the most ridiculous and off comparison I have ever heard. As a Christian, it infuriates me when people make statements like that and put God’s name on it because it gives us and God a bad name. It’s almost as bad as those people who go to gay people’s funerals and protest. Have some decency and respect, and know your Bible.

April March 18, 2008, 1:27 PM

I think her comments were incredibly ignorant and disrespectful - but that’s okay. We live in America, and last time I checked, we still had Freedom of Speech. And to me, Freedom of Speech means having the freedom to say whatever you want - even if other people don’t agree with it. I’d hate to live in a world where you can only say certain things that agree with popular opinion.

If you don’t agree with her, then don’t vote for her. Next election time, campaign and vote for someone better in line with your ideals. Simple as that.

Anonymous March 18, 2008, 1:49 PM

Do you think it would be “FREEDOM OF SPEECH” if, say, the Governor of CA said he hated blacks or Jewish people? I don’t think so. There’s no difference here. This is hate speech plain and simple, and it should not be tolerated from an elected official.

Anonymous March 18, 2008, 3:44 PM

The biggest shame is that her son is gay. How could a mother be so stupid (that’s my freedom of speech).

DimplesPlz March 18, 2008, 4:37 PM

Why is it that when some people talk of “freedom of speech,” they seem to forget the spirit of these freedoms which is to NOT impose on the rights of others? Spewing hate, inciting division and violence is DEFINITELY an imposition on the ULTIMATE right of all: for ALL people to live happily and in peace without judgment and without fearing for their lives & those they love.

Yeah we can vote for this and that and we *should*, but it still boggles the mind that some of the most hateful people somehow *think* they’re qualified to run for office and represent various citizens.

Anonymous March 18, 2008, 5:04 PM

Last time I checked, the bible has nothing to do with our gov’t or any aspect of any religion for that matter…. Separation of church and state ring a bell? Her comments are both ignorant and irresponsible.

SugarPlumFairy March 18, 2008, 5:15 PM

She is coming from a Christian perspective and is therefore bound by the God she follows. While separation of church and state is in existence (sometimes for better and sometimes for worse), you can’t expect a government official to unscrew their head and their emotions when dealing with things. You CAN expect them to have respect for other people.

April March 18, 2008, 5:40 PM

I’m a Christian, and I find what she said revolting. However, try looking at it from a different perspective. If she had said those things 50 years ago, it wouldn’t have been a big deal - because the majority of the public would have agreed. Times have changed, but does that mean everyone has changed with the times? No it doesn’t. Therefore, like I said before - FREEDOM OF SPEECH means having the freedom to say whatever you want. Even if offends people.

Suzanne March 18, 2008, 6:02 PM

It’s inappropriate for me to bring my religious beliefs to my workplace and even more so for someone who represents an entire state of people of all backgrounds. While I respect that she can believe whatever she wants, her personal beliefs should remain just that.

Anonymous March 18, 2008, 6:48 PM

If this is the case, “She is coming from a Christian perspective and is therefore bound by the God she follows” than she should have chosen a diff’t profession b/c her Christian perspective should not be brought to a government post.

Delbert Miller March 18, 2008, 11:56 PM

Preach it Sally! I agree with you 100%, but more importantly God’s Word agrees with you as well!

Anonymous March 19, 2008, 12:48 AM

God wouldn’t want people to be so cruel and uncaring. Delbert, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Anonymous March 19, 2008, 2:54 AM

If Delbert agrees that homosexuality is wrong (and according to the bible it is) then let it roll Del. However, to make a comparison to terrorist and Islam (and by the way….why is no one outraged that she put terrorists and Islam in the same boat — they are not one in the same)is irresponsible. God isn’t cruel. And he also doesn’t differentiate between sins. Adultry, murder, theft. We as humans rank different sins or crimes or behaviors as worse than others. God doesn’t see it that way. Sin is sin. If you want to have a debate on whether or not homosexuality is sin - that’s a different topic.

Anonymous March 19, 2008, 9:31 AM

It’s amazing how much stock some people put in a book that was written what, a hundred years after the supposed events occurred. The bible people should consider following is their own morality and being kind to others. Don’t hate because “the bible says it’s wrong.” People have lives that are different from yours. Get over it.

Katrina March 19, 2008, 10:53 AM

For all of you who are convinced that the Bible views homosexuality as a sin, please revisit the Bible.

The oft-asserted Genesis 6 (Sodom and Gomorrah) is about pillagers who stand outside of Lot’s home demanding to rape and torture the men inside. This has no more reflection on homosexuality than other parts about of the Bible, which refer to rape, do about heterosexuality.

Leviticus 18 says that it’s an “abomination” to lie with a man as one lies with a woman but makes no reference to lesbian relations. Are we to interpret that lesbians are fine by this omission and that we should advocate discrimination against eaters of shellfish and pork because Leviticus also calls this an “abomination”?

No Christian person should eat bacon by this logic. Exodus 21 is all about how to treat slaves including the statement that if you abuse a slave to the point of death than you should be punished; however, if the slave lives for a day or two you need not be punished.

If we are using this type of logic, a true Christian would loudly and proudly demonstrate against pork farmers and fishermen, picket in front of restaurants serving fried clams and bring their beaten, nearly dead slaves along with them on their walk to the nearby jail to protest the punishment of rapists jailed who raped someone in a city (when the Bible specifically states that one who rapes a woman in the city should NOT be punished).

Rob March 19, 2008, 10:48 PM

There seems to be a lot of defense of Sally’s remarks based around the concept of “Free Speech”. I don’t think anyone would deny Sally that right. (and actually, isn’t it better to know exactly what kind of person she is?) However, there are a few things that go along with free speech that seem to have been missed:
1. Responsibility. It is irresponsible to exercise the right to free speech by yelling “fire” in a crowded theatre because that would cause panic, possibly incite violence and someone could be injured or killed. It is likewise irresponsible to liken a minority group to terrorism because it may incite violence and someone may be injured or killed. By the way, when was the last time you heard of a bunch of gays beating a straight person to death in a “straight-bashing”?

2. Accountability. This one is especially true when you are in public office and have the responsibility (there’s that word again) with representing ALL of your constituents fairly. Sally made some pretty outlandish claims, with nothing to back them up.

3. Consequences. Sometimes when you ignore 1. and 2. there are consequences to your words. This is what Sally is currently experiencing. Hopefully her constituents will remember that there are consequences when it comes to election day.

And finally, to all the people who insist that being gay is a choice, may I ask you when you decided to be straight? Was it a revelation that one day you woke up and said.. “yup.. that’s it… I’m gonna be straight”? Just curious.

BRE November 11, 2008, 9:25 AM

It has nothing to do with hate , it is a fact.a To say anything other than what she believes is a lie.She is still a humane and we sometimes don’t think before we speak.
Please remember Mrs. Kern you are a public officer and you should not put your beliefs in public.Too many people out there are waiting to call you upon the carpet
.I do agree with you!!I believe the word of GOD!!