Spitzer's Wife: What Would You Do?

ML's editor-in-chief Sabrina Weill on Silda standing by her man.

spitzer_and_wife.jpg

How often have we seen the wife-mom of a politico, dressed in a tailored suit, standing by her husband as he delivers news of his shame, his "mistake"?

We can relate to the Mom part of her that might think re-creating the image of an intact family will make things OK for everyone, including the kids. Who among us does not stage the occasional "all is perfect" play for our kids? Another part of us wants to shake this suited-woman--to turn her face to her kids and shout, "What signal are you sending them? That a man can do anything to you and it will be OK?" What Happened Here is Not OK.

Infidelity, lies and disloyalty can be cut and dried issues... until you have kids. Kids are like constantly-on recording devices, learning: THIS is how a wife talks to her husband, THIS is how a wife argues fairly. THIS is how a wife shows love, anger, pain... Most of us thankfully don't have to show how a wife lives with shame and betrayal of this magnitude. What will she, or should she, show and tell her kids? What would you?

next: Celeb-Bitty Fashion: Amanda Peet's Baby
aphexcoil March 12, 2008, 2:48 PM

Once he’s out of public office, how he and his wife choose to handle this is entirely a private matter. Every person is different, every relationship is different and every family has unique circumstances.

Instead of asking what kind of example she is setting, why not ask what kind of example did *HE* already set? Let’s not put this completely messy ordeal on her shoulders.

It’s hard enough to deal with something like this in privacy — much less so when it makes international news.

I hope they find closure either way. That relationship will never be the same again, but that doesn’t mean it necessarily has to end.

SugarPlumFairy March 12, 2008, 3:36 PM

Daddy-bashing (if she is at all tempted to do such things; I know I would be) should not be done in front of the kids. And if she decides to pitch a fit, why do it in the public eye so that it can be recorded as international news? While she may tempted to throw things at him, I respect her for conducting herself respectfully in public.

Steven Croney March 13, 2008, 10:08 AM

Once I was out of camera viewing, I would slap him, physically, and with divorce papers!!

Catherine March 13, 2008, 7:58 PM

I agree it’s a private matter, but then why would you want the entire state to read your face as you stand there next to your “husband” who did not have an inch for remorse in his tone of voice, as he “apologized” to the state of New York.

I suspect that Silda was aware of this whole “Cheating” right along. Women are not dumb, especially women who have money. Someone always slips and for the most part, it’s usually their husbands who make the first mistake.

Maybe he forced her to be up there with him. As he finished his speach, with “I am truly sorry, I will be taking no questions” she just turned around like a robot as he pushed her in the direction he wanted her to go in.

Catherine March 13, 2008, 7:59 PM