The Story of the Taxicab Baby

What happens now to the baby who was "abandoned" in a cab?

art.baby.cab.ap.jpg

He claimed a baby was abandoned in his New York City taxi last week. Now, the cab driver who was called a "hero" has been charged for falsely reporting an incident and criminal facilitation, reports CNN. The driver's girlfriend is the baby's aunt. The child's 14-year-old mother had allegedly run away last week after a fight with the baby's father, and the father said he couldn't care for the child alone. That's when this "cab abandonment" scheme was allegedly cooked up.

The baby is now in foster care. Do you think the biological mother should be allowed to regain custody? Comment below.

next: Moms Are Talking About...
ttoone March 4, 2008, 8:45 AM

I DO NOT THINK ANY 14 YEAR OLD SHOULD HAVE CUSTODY OF A BABY. THEY ARE BABIES THEMSELVES. THERE ARE TOO MANY WANTING TO BE MOTHERS OUT THERE THAT WOULD LOVE A CHILD AND COULD ACTUALLY HANDLE THE JOB OF IT. AS A MOTHER MYSELF IT IS NOT ALWAYS FUN AND GAMES THEIR LIVES ARE IN OUR HANDS AND I WOULD NOT PUT MINE IN THE HANDS OF A 14 YEAR OLD. AND I COMMEND THE POOR TAXI DRIVER FOR DOING WHAT WAS BEST FOR THE BABY HE SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED FOR THAT…

Lesley March 4, 2008, 9:06 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it stautory (sp?) rape for a 27 year old to have sex with a 14 year old??? Why isn’t the father being brought up on charges??

As for the 14 year old girl getting the baby back…she should have parenting classes and a mother mentor to help her. I do not think she should raise the baby alone, since she has proven when things get tough that she bails.

Kristine March 4, 2008, 9:39 AM

I agree, NO 14 year old should have custody of a child, especially after running off and abandoning it. I don’t think any of the people in this scenario should have custody.

RealMomsHaveCurves  March 4, 2008, 1:08 PM

Just because she birthed the baby doesn’t make her a mother. That child has no business with the baby.

Susan P. March 4, 2008, 2:54 PM

I don’t think anyone involved in the abandonment of this poor baby should gain custody. I’m sure there are tons of couples who have already contacted NYC Child Services requesting to adopt her. After this whole ordeal, the baby deserves to be somewhere that she’s wanted.

Tia March 5, 2008, 5:51 AM

After reading multiple articles on this story the mother is a 14yr.old child who was being abused by the father of her baby. She ran away to avoid being beaten, when is leaving a child with another parent abandonment? In a nut shell this man decided that if he couldnt have the mom he didnt want the baby so he set out to try and rid himself of his “problem”. I dont agree with 14yr. olds having babies but it happens everyday. I think people should stop thinking that they are giving a child to a 14yr. old and think that this is a mother who was in an abusive situation. I think that the child and mother need to be placed in a home together with someone there to help her, parenting classes and she needs to go to school. The father needs to be in jail!!! Come on people if she was 28 and ran away to avoid being beaten would you feel the same way???

April March 5, 2008, 8:25 AM

Tia - you said the 14 year old girl ran away after being abused by the father… and yet, SHE LEFT THE BABY WITH THE ABUSER?! And you really think she deserves to get that baby back? *Most* responsible mothers who care about and love their children would NOT leave their baby with an abusive parent.

So, no, I do NOT think she should get custody of this baby. I think the baby should be put up for adoption, where it can be raised by someone who actually wants it.

Crisa March 5, 2008, 4:07 PM

I think that what Tia was trying to say is that the situation is a little more complicated than a mother abandoning her child. The mother obviously needs help learning how to be a mom. This is not an irresponsible teenager who made a few bad decisions and was trying to get out of it. She was ABUSED and I think that warrants a chance to try again with help and a lot of counseling.

Cindy September 22, 2008, 8:14 AM

I won’t say the girl was irresponsible but she was abused and at the time all she was thinking of was getting away from the situation and no studying that she left her child in the care of an abuser but I think what she needs is counselling and if after that ya’ll think she deserves to get back her child then ya’ll should give it back to her. After all she is the childs mother and it would be nice if the child could grow up with her mother, I mean when my mum is not around I feel it so imagine this child growing up not knowing who her mum is when her mother could be helped and reunited with her child. Think about it!

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 6:37 PM

Great info. Enjoyable to read. There’s a small point to submit about shirts.