Ugly Husbands: Secret to Marital Success?

New study finds that if you marry a man less attractive than you, you'll be much happier.

bag_your_face.jpg

If you happen to be the better-looking spouse in your marriage, then you may have unlocked the secret to a long-lasting relationship. According to a recent study by the Journal of Family Psychology involving 82 newlywed couples found that women married to men better-looking than they are were more likely to be unhappy and have negative feelings about their marriage. In couples where the wife is more attractive, both partners tended to be very content.

Fess up: Who's better-looking: you or your husband?

next: Toy Puzzle Vehicle Sets Recalled
Anonymous March 24, 2008, 2:25 PM

My husband and I are equally hot. OK, maybe not hot… but we’re close in attractiveness and I think pretty happy.

Anonymous March 24, 2008, 2:55 PM

i think we’re about the same

Ginny March 24, 2008, 3:01 PM

I’d like to know by who’s standard are these men/women attractive in this study? I’d like to think that the length of a marriage is based on more than just whether one spouse is more attractive than the other. It’s all a matter of perspective.

Barry March 24, 2008, 3:07 PM

So… any basic reasoning for this finding? Are we to basically assume if the guy is more good-looking, there’s a better chance he’ll have an affair but if the wife is the hotter of the two, she won’t be likely to have one? Or maybe that the less-good-looking wife is apt to be jealous of the good-looking husband’s looks, or more suspicious of his extracurricular activities, than the husband might be of the wife?

Something about this finding rings pretty sexist to me…

a. March 24, 2008, 3:40 PM

I don’t think it’s sexist at all. Women are far, far more likely to have image issues than men are. More women are anorexic or bulimic. More women have plastic surgery than men. Think back to high school and how much guys would get ragged on if they were dating someone who wasn’t considered all that attractive, regardless of the man’s own look. Ugly or fat, a guy was expected to have a good looking chick. If she was ugly or fat, the guy was very likely to get teased by his friends. It’s just the way things work these days, unfortunately. Thank you, society.
So, girl gets a very good looking guy - imagine the looks her husband might get when they’re together. With so much focus on women’s images these days, the woman is most likely conditioned to be jealous of those looks and to feel inferior. While if it’s the woman who is better looking, or equally as great looking, instead of feeling jealous of looks his wife is getting, a man is more likely to feel proud of her.
I’m not saying the man wouldn’t feel jealous or inferior having a better looking wife, or that all women are going to feel the way the article suggests. It’s just that in most cases, that’s just how it is, unfortunately. Men and women ARE different in many ways. It’s not sexist, it’s just nature.

dulce303 March 24, 2008, 7:03 PM

I agree with A. But… If you marry a less attractive man make sure he’s not super smart…’cause all he’ll do is resent the fact you are that much more attractive and he might develop a passive aggressive nature toward you. (TRUST ME I’VE SEEN IT HAPPEN!) Also make sure you have your own money, cause if he wises up to your game he just might leave you for the next more attractive woman! HA!

AngelHayz24 March 30, 2008, 1:26 PM

MY boyfriend is the more attractive one. I was cute before I had kids but evr since, I think I have gotten more ugly with each one.. from acne to a fat ass, and arms that could be advertised in those jello jiggler commercials. My bf is athletic and rugged to no end.

stupidbs April 8, 2008, 7:16 PM

you guys can’t be serious…i don’t think i could marry someone that insecure about their looks.

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 1:40 PM

IF you didn’t think that your husband was the hottest thing in town, why would you marry him? While other people may not find my husband attractive (or even if they do), I certainly think that he is. As for me, I have been told that I am very attractive, but that doesn’t matter either. The only thing that matters is that we find each OTHER attractive. We got married because we love each other, and I don’t know ANY couple that is as blissfully happy as we are. We are best friends.

Lucy April 9, 2008, 7:06 PM

I understand those who are jumping to ‘this is sexist’ conclusions…but I’ll be honest, I can see how these findings could be accurate.

Dale April 9, 2008, 8:56 PM

What ever happened to “Beauty is only skin deep”? Some of these comments sound real shallow! My wife and I were both “hot” when we met & married. 20 years & 4 kids later, she has gained a few extra pounds from childbirth, and I STILL think she is the Hottest & Sexiest Woman on the earth!!(For Me)
I have a little “middle age spread” myself, but we have been through so much together, no other “young, sexy” woman can hold a candle to my Always Beautiful Wife!!!!!!

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 9:16 PM

sounds like dale’s wife is definitely hotter.

David April 9, 2008, 11:48 PM

Right on, what matters is what you feel about each other. Who cares what others feel? My wife just turned 50 and I told her on a b-day card, and in words spoken, that I feel I am blessed to be with the most sexy and attractive 50-year-old woman on the planet! And that’s the way I see it - for real.

Richcroc April 10, 2008, 5:45 AM

Well it’s true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do tend to agree with a’s comments about so much pressure being on women to look good. Some how it doesn’t seem to matter how the man is.

But in all truth women don’t have to be the most gorgeous to meet, date, attract or seduce a man.

Simzy April 17, 2008, 3:44 PM

Back in the day we were both eqaully attractive, however I feel I was the more attractive one…maybe thats my big head talking.

Nowadays, thanks to the kids and our marriage we are both equally fat, lol!
However, hubby’s belly is much bigger than mine…but then again that could be my big head, again.

Kimi March 27, 2011, 2:16 AM

My husband is really really ugly. How come I married him? I love him, but his inner beauty is is going to crap now. So what is left? He’s not romantic, he’s obnoxious, he’s not smart….I hate his spelling…he doesn’t read…he’s rude…I’m so tired of him.

Kimi April 6, 2011, 9:34 AM

GET RID OF THE UGLY, FAT LOOSER!