What About Spitzer's Kids?

A scandal like this can have long-lasting effects on children.

spitzer_family_2.jpg

When New York governor Eliot Spitzer admitted yesterday to being involved in a prostitution ring, he said, "I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family." That's going to be no easy task. His daughters -- ages 13, 15, and 17 -- are likely reeling from their father's betrayal, says friend of Mom•Logic family counselor Rosanne Tobey, LPC. "When a father cheats, he not only cheats on the wife--he cheats on the whole family," she says.

When she counsels families going through infidelity, Tobey normally advises parents not to tell their children about the affair. But obviously, there is no way that Spitzer's daughters can be shielded from this devastating news. After all, the entire world knows about their father's indiscretions now. How will this affect them? According to Tobey, "Kids in this situation usually feel embarrassed, ashamed, and betrayed."

Tobey says kids whose fathers cheat usually need a lot of coaching, couseling, and comfort, since their support system at home is compromised. She says daughters of men who've cheated often experience trust issues in future relationships. "Not every man they meet will be a cheater, obviously, but they think, 'If I can't trust my father not to cheat on me, then who can I count on?' As a result, they can have a hard time trusting anybody." Tobey says that with the right amount of counseling and support, it's possible that the core of their father-daughter relationship can be saved -- but it's going to take a lot of hard work and dedication on everyone's part.

Have your kids been affected by infidelity? Tell us about it.

next: 'Road Trip' is a Fun Ride For Families
SugarPlumFairy March 11, 2008, 2:02 PM

Those poor girls. For a girl her relationship with her father is an integral part of who she will become. I hope they pursue healing for their hurt, vs. trying to stifle it with other things.

Stronggal March 11, 2008, 10:03 PM

My ex-husband had an affair and left me and our three daughters, aged 17, 15 and 10 (at the time). Three years later, they do have questions, issues about men that I know I did not have at their age. Why do men think it is okay to cheat? It is not okay to break the vows taken before God and family, only devastation erupts. It is so damaging. I say a prayer for these girls.

Golf September 14, 2010, 10:35 AM

In related news, the Wayans brothers want to cast Tiger woods in their next movie but they can’t decide if the title should be White Chicks 11 or 12 ?

fashion October 1, 2010, 4:44 AM

Hello from the fashion business, I actually recognize the get the job done you’ve done in this report, it was a fantastic read. I’m presently functioning using a brand new venture using the aim to bring together the fashion business in a single forum. I enjoy this site and will probably be coming back once again.

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 4:45 PM

I wished to tell you thanks for this amazing study!! I added to my bookmarks, take care

Merchant Account December 24, 2010, 3:47 AM

I was a fashion lecturer at Kingston University and am at the moment functioning over a site to bring sector experts beneath one roof.

Michaela Reash January 20, 2011, 5:37 PM

Lovely post, props to you for having the initiave to think of it

Jamal Kokocinski January 22, 2011, 10:50 PM

Lovely piece, thanks for showing the initiative to write it down

Ina Schofell January 23, 2011, 10:21 AM

You gave me some excellent suggestions for my own web site.

Penny Forgette January 25, 2011, 11:49 AM

Great post, thanks for making the effort to think of it

Jennine Pincock January 25, 2011, 5:00 PM

Lovely ideas, thanks are in order for taking the time to put it up

cheap mini blinds shades January 28, 2011, 12:49 AM

I would like to thank you for the time you put into this post. In fact your writing has inspired me to start my own webblog now. Thanks again for sharing this online.

Wholesale Polo Handbags March 26, 2011, 2:09 AM

I wish more people would write sites like this that are truly stimulating to read.

Wholesale Gucci Sunglasses March 26, 2011, 6:58 PM

From all the blogs I’ve review lately, this undivided seems to be the most impressive - it gave me something to consider about.

Barbara A. Hardin March 29, 2011, 4:15 PM

Intriguing

Gary Pardini March 29, 2011, 5:00 PM

Very efficiently written post. It will be helpful to everyone who usess it, including me. Keep doing what you are doing - looking forward to more posts.

Melita Runswick March 30, 2011, 7:21 AM

Hello.This article was really fascinating, particularly since I was investigating for thoughts on this topic last Saturday.

George O. Vogel March 31, 2011, 3:09 AM

Wholesale Gucci Wallets March 31, 2011, 9:53 AM

I am an admirer of your website. Camouflage b confine up the seemly work.

Air Jordan 6 April 1, 2011, 9:06 AM

There is some validity but I inclination take believe sentiment until I look into it further. Well-behaved article , thanks and we in need of more! Added to FeedBurner also.