A Children's Bongtime Story

Yes, a kids' book about smoking weed.

its_just_a_plant.jpg

Have you heard about the new children's book called It's Just a Plant? It follows the journey of a young girl as she learns about pot from her parents, a local farmer, a doctor, and a police officer.

According to the book's promotional Web site, it's "a book for parents who want to educate their children about the complexities of pot in a thoughtful, fact-oriented manner." WTF?

Check out this excerpt (and, no, we are not making this up):

One night, Jackie woke up past her bedtime.

She smelled something funny in the air, so she walked down the hall to her parents' bedroom.

"What's that, Mommy?" asked Jackie. "Are you and Daddy smoking a cigarette?"

"No, baby," said her mother. "This is a joint. It's made of marijuana."

We're all for hipster parenting, but this is ridiculous. What's next? A book about Mommy shooting up, doing tequila shots, or dropping acid? Aren't there some topics that should be off-limits to kids?

next: 3 Safe Ways to Say 'Bye-Bye Botox'
Bob April 26, 2008, 10:21 AM

Should some things be off limits? Um, yes.

Charles Patterson April 27, 2008, 11:58 AM

Equating smoking marijuana to shooting up or dropping acid is irresponsible and ridiculous. Marijuana has proven medicinal benefits, and has been shown to be less damaging to the body than cigarettes and alcohol, both of which are legal.

With any drugs, even caffeine, education should be the key, and the sooner you start, the easier it becomes.

Be a responsible parent and teach your children to reason with educated deduction, don’t teach them to be prejudiced against things without the facts.

JWatson April 27, 2008, 1:58 PM

Talking about trying to swim upstream. Education through the process of fear has been one of the most important strategies used in raising American children. If we want to begin to provide people/children with both the positive and negative story, an enitrely different social marketing approach will have to be undertaken.

BrownE April 27, 2008, 4:05 PM

In a world that is finally getting over the propaganda launched on Marijuana in the past, I believe it is amazing that there are people that say they want a cure for cancer but still feel that smoking marijuana which has been shown to help cancer patients is a taboo. I do not believe marijuana is for everybody and like all things should be enjoyed with moderation but in light of the sky rocketing DWI accidents and fatalities it does make you wonder maybe just smoking a little bud in the comfort of your home is a better idea than going to a bar and getting plastered and driving home. We need to make our children realize that just because the government has regulated and makes money off of alcohol and tobacco therefore says it is legal doesn’t mean it is safer than a plant. A plant that lands hundreds of Americans in our prisons everyday while the child predators that we should be protecting our children from get a slap on the wrist.

Julie W April 27, 2008, 5:55 PM

I am all for educating my kids about marijuana, but this is a picture book for young children. I have never read a book to my kids about drinking martinis and won’t share this one with my 4 and 8 year old either. When it is time for them to learn about drugs, I will make sure they are exposed to all of the information that they need.

Anonymous April 28, 2008, 2:01 PM

marijuana is safer than alcohol and smoking cigarettes, yet both are legal and marijuana is not. As it’s been mentioned, the anti-marijuana propaganda is losing its foothold - now it’s just up to people to not ignore the facts in favor for that propaganda they’ve been taught their whole lives. I used to be one of those people but then finally woke up and got over myself.

Facts are facts, people. I’d rather my children became interested in pot than alcohol or cigarettes. Also, I’d rather teach them the facts about it instead of letting them grow up in a culture that’s rife with anti-marijuana propaganda.

And for the record, I don’t smoke it. Don’t have to smoke it to defend it!

Abigail Bonham April 28, 2008, 2:27 PM

OK I am going to start this off by saying that telling your children that marijauna is ok is completely ridiculous. Do you tell your children it’s ok to smoke cigarettes? I would hope not. I do not smoke marijauana, but I’m not saying if it were legal that I still wouldn’t. But the fact remains it is illegal, and that is all that should matter. “Health benefits” aside IT IS ILLEGAL. My goal as a parent is to teach my children to be caring, generous, intellegent, LAW ABIDING members of society. And telling them that smoking weed is ok is horrifying.

cindy April 30, 2008, 3:36 PM

This is completely disgusting. I’m in shock!

cindy April 30, 2008, 3:36 PM

This is completely disgusting. I’m in shock!

cindy April 30, 2008, 3:37 PM

This is completely disgusting. I’m in shock!

jazzyblue52 May 1, 2008, 10:08 PM

It was put on this earth for a reason.I agree with jackie, everything in moderation. You can over eat, over drink, over do everything. Including politics and religion. Besides having cancer, I have other illnesses. On the occasion I get a chance to sneak a toke, it sure helps with pain, both mental and physical. I will be glad when the “MAN” legalizes it so I can feel better when I want to. PEACE

udi December 16, 2008, 2:52 PM

I personally find pot to be a rather boring drug and it wouldn’t bother me if my 8 year old never found out about it. trouble is though, he already has. we don’t smoke and neither do our friends but a curious mind, surrounded by curious minds at school, seems to be a magnet for all sorts of mis/information. the book may not be something i would buy but anything that puts the record straight is probably a good thing.

of course, marijuana is not just a plant any more than a computer is just an electronic device. the title suggests that the book may be a little ideologically skewed and my 8 year old is already too sophisticated for such blunt propaganda. I better say here that I haven’t read the book so all this is speculative.

Anonymous September 24, 2009, 6:22 PM

I think inhaling, drinking or veining any kind of external substance that clouds rationallity or harms the body is a way to fill the holes created by emotional or mental pain, or simply existential pains. Saying it is less harmful than other things is a mere excuse to give in to such pleasures without feeling any guilt (at least to lie to themselves about not feeling it). Of course, that’s up to each individual and what he wants in life or what his principles are (if any).

Rexanne Mancini September 24, 2009, 6:46 PM

I certainly wouldn’t buy this book for an eight year old child but I do feel it’s important that children be educated by their parents about issues such as drugs, sex and illegalities at an early enough age so they won’t first learn about all these subjects from their peers who haven’t a real clue about them and will fill their heads with misinformation.

I have told both my teenagers, when they started high school, that if they were getting a ride home from a party to trust the kid who was smoking pot more than the kid who was drinking alcohol to get them home safely.

While driving under the influence of pot is not good, driving under the influence of alcohol is outright dangerous. Someone who is smoking pot will more likely drive slower than average. Someone who has been drinking will likely drive way faster than average and get everyone in the car killed. It’s my way of keeping my kids safe, which is ultimately the most important thing.

I think this book is stupid because it is written for small children who, at this age, don’t need details of a particular mind altering substance and don’t need an explanation from their parents if they choose to smoke pot. I also think pot should be legalized in all states and those in jail for smoking weed should be released to make room for the REAL criminals among us.

analita August 23, 2010, 10:15 PM

I think this is great. There’s so many people that are ignorant about marijuana, maybe this could be a positive step in the direction towards an educated generation.

Issac Maez January 14, 2011, 4:46 PM

*There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.