Kiddie "Tramp Stamps"???

As if it isn't already difficult enough to keep kids dressing (and looking) like ... well ... kids, Toys R Us has added some fuel to the fire.

In addition to selling gumballs and stickers in their vending machines, the stores now also sell lower-back temporary tattoos, sometimes known as "tramp stamps." Yes, for a mere 50 cents your li'l girl can look like she's all grown up--and then some. Would you let your daughter wear a temporary lower-back tattoo?

tramp_stamp.jpg

next: Denise Cuts Fat Talk in Front of Her Girls
Keith April 7, 2008, 7:25 PM

You are a straight A student?!? I believe a straight A student can spell “fuss” and “what”, can capitalize, can complete a sentence, and in general, write an articulate argument.

Next time, let the adults make the case.

Oh, yeah, I believe temporary tattoos are just fine.

Jennifer April 7, 2008, 8:02 PM

I can’t believe, a world that has so many more issues to deal with, would be so petty to even discuss something like this.
My daughter has worn them around thoe house and out to play with her friends, so what, doesn’t make her a tramp.
I have a huge “tramp stamp” and I’M NOT A TRAMP EITHER.
It’s an expression of yourself, not neccessarily advertising if your easy or not.

Hitman April 7, 2008, 9:07 PM

Tramp Stamp indicates a “loose women.”
Tramp Stamp on a young girls indicates “loose women in training.”
Plain and simple folks.

Toni April 7, 2008, 10:29 PM

It is a tragedy that the focus is not being put on who will find this attractive. Why don’t you just slather the innocent baby in honey and throw them in the bear habitat at the zoo. For heavens sake, we live in a world full of child predators. Do you really want to test the limits vs being conservative to protect your precious child. So what if you find it harmless. What if the creep that intends to do harm finds it even more appealing. Shame on the parents who think freedom of expression at this age is the priority. Your job as a parent is to protect your child…try to FOCUS!

Carla April 7, 2008, 10:43 PM

I am also a 14 year old and i oppose this bickering… about a stupid temporary tattoo?? very pointless.
Oh.. and do i see PARENTS fussing over a stupid issue like this?? There are many more critical decisions to be made (like the political campaign, don’t u care about who ur next prez. could be? —- able to make america prosperous, or able to demolish it with 1 simple mistake?)[there are many more important issues] Just like Jesica, i am a straight A student, in HONORS classes at a top notch PRIVATE school. and if u dont want mi opinion, then DONT LOOK ON THIS WEBSITE. mi parents never opposed me having a temp tatt and personally dont care as long as it doesnt portray mischievous acts. i personally never wanted a tattoo and [although undecisive about it] dont intend in getting 1 anytime soon. future advice: remind ur kids that they shouldnt do things because every1 else is doing it, only because it should have a productive outcome in life. IF U ARE PURSUING AN ARTICULATE ARTICLE, VIEW MINE.(oh and i am not a tramp)if i wanted to get 1, i could.

Amy April 7, 2008, 11:46 PM

Let them get it out of their systems (at home in private that is). Maybe if they tried out a temp tattoo first, they will realize they don’t want the real thing.

I think the swimsuits they sell for girls need to be censored before we even begin to talk about fake tattoo’s. Does my nine year old daughter need a string bikini?

EverydayHighSchoolStudent April 8, 2008, 3:35 AM

“IF U ARE PURSUING AN ARTICULATE ARTICLE, VIEW MINE.(oh and i am not a tramp)if i wanted to get 1, i could”.

You did make some very solid points about more focus on the political system, voting, etc; However, I bet you didn’t realize that your article is STILL full of typos, lower case “i”, and poor grammar. Please, work on that a bit more. We STILL have to compete with students from across the world. Lets show some class (no pun intended).

Mommy1992 April 8, 2008, 7:23 AM

As i was reading the above comments I got more and more agitated!! I am a mom of 2 teens’ who talk about tattoos and if and when they want one we will talk about it and i will support them and go with and help them to relize it is permenant and not going to go away ever. But as far as labeling a lower back tat a “TRAMP STAMP” I find offensive. I have a tattoo in memory of my son who passed and my 2 remaining children accross my low back. I chose that spot because it looked best there, not because i wanted my mate to see while we are intimate, or because im a tramp. Dont you think as a society we have evolved enough to NOT HAVE TO LABEL EVERYTHING. Tatooing is a art and a form of expression. There is a appropriate time and place for them but that is the case on allot of things. Basicly use common sense and dont put a huge dragon on your 5 year olds lower back upper back stomach or arm!!!! It’s just common sense.

Bobbi April 8, 2008, 11:18 AM

Little girls are sweet little girls. Mother of 4 girls, here…and wanting them to be just that. Sweet girls that have a bright future. Girls that can hold themselves ladylike. Girls that I’d never want to see looked at other that being “girly.” Even for grown women, it is not beneficial to show off areas that attract the wrong kind of man, in the wrong kind of way. Girls growing into womanhood should feel happy about themselves, and willing to wait it out until marriage, to a good man, then leave the marriage bed for the rest that naturally takes place. Girls do not need to feel like they need to expose their bodies, to be “someone” special. They are special in their very own way, that as mothers, we need to encourage every strength they have, to keep their esteem up, and they should be able to make good decisions on their own as adults. Women of any age should respect their own bodies, and the minds of other women’s husbands, so as to keep themselves covered better and hold themselves tall and pretty.

Casey April 8, 2008, 3:20 PM

Sorry, but I don’t care if you are 5 or 25, tramp stamps make you look like complete trailer trash.

Carla April 14, 2008, 6:52 PM

response to ‘EverydayHighSchoolStudent’ (posted on April 8, 2008 3:35 AM)

I purposely input my ‘i’s that way (it’s called an acronym; it is put there to show abbreviation for certain words (such as for -4; and - nd)… and yes, ‘i’ was aware of this. NB (nota bene/note well): [I DO NOT normally spell like this] ‘i’ tried to create a discernible article (despite the fact that I PURPOSELY used the acronym of ‘i’)and once again [i] am aware of this.
maybe ‘u’ should try to learn grammar —- computer grammar ‘lol’

Gianni June 1, 2008, 9:24 PM

All the conservative freaks should shutup. Theres nothing wrong with body art. Just like there is nothing wrong with body piercings. It’s just the view that have been embedded in your brains that piercings and tattoos are trashy.

If done with taste they can be attractive. I see nothing wrong with the fake tattoo. It would only be crazy if she had a REAL one.

punxxi September 6, 2008, 10:09 PM

T E M P O R A R Y, it ain’t gonna grow on them. If it was a little boy with a dragon you probably wouldn’t think a thing of it. Also, how many little kids have you seen that draw on their own tattoos…you see that everyday and nobody cares, heck we probably all did that at one time or another…well, I actually drew on beards, mustashes and scars, but what’s the difference?

Aine September 10, 2008, 10:31 AM

Kirsten on April 7, 2008 6:27 PM wrote:
With everything that our children are facing these days, with the way the world is, Im ashamed of most Americans!! You are seriously “disturbed” by temp tats that wash off? Dont you have better things to be worried about? Like maybe teaching your children not to hate someone because they are different? Or raising them to appreciate the things they earn and not to expect everything handed to them? What about education? Get a grip folks!!
——————————————
Right, Kirsten. Because we don’t agree with you, that gives you the right to JUDGE the way we raise our children.
…I’m guessing your Own parents had a few too many issues about “different” people, didn’t they, honey?

Aine September 10, 2008, 10:38 AM

Jesica on April 7, 2008 6:42 PM wrote:

ok so as a 14 year old i have 2 say something here…..this is stupid its a temp. so wats the fuse? and as i most point out if you dont let your kid have one EVER and they just wanted a temp then chances are good when they get older they will want a real one!

it was never aproved here and i want one more than ever! partly 4 me and partly 2 spite ppl! and i am NOT a Tramp im a straight A student

——————————————-
If that’s a straight-A student, America has more problems than girls who can’t figure out how inappropriate it is to draw attention to a 14-year-old ass. Or, God forbid, a 7-year-old one. These are not “good habits” to teach children!
Temp Tattoos are fine … on your ARM.
And whoever cares, I’m 27, unmarried, and still “good.” How many tramp-stamping girls will be able to say the same in 10 years?

Jaime October 4, 2008, 5:05 PM

I would just like to say that yes this is “just a temporary tattoo”, but the problem does not lie in the innocence of children wanting to be older, but in the inherent danger to their physical being by the sordid side of society that we all know exists but like to ignore. If you allow your child to dress more adult or parade her like a kewpie doll then you start to diminish her identity as a child and place her into the category of object. The objectification of kids as older starts to blur the lines between childhood and womanhood and therein lies the problem. Whether it is harmless unwanted staring and seedy thoughts or down to outright abduction and worse, this blur of your child’s identity as such entices pedophiles and other perverted attention. We have enough dangers in the world to worry about as parents without adding bait to the mix. I for one believe that tattoos and sexy clothing are meant for people that can make those judgments in the proper context. This means at least the age of 14 or higher depending on the maturity of the child in question. Until then the parents obligation is to provide the best protection to our children as possible. Dress them according to how you would have them perceived by others.

Lina November 29, 2008, 6:35 AM

Children don’t know what a ‘tramp stamp’ is. When they put a temporary tattoo on their lower back they don’t see it as anything other than a fun design. There is nothing wrong with having a fun temporary tattoo, I used to wear them all the time as a kid. The only time my mom ever got angry at me for wearing them, was when I’d put them on my face. It’s just some harmless fun. Kids don’t see it as a tattoo they see it as fun body artwork that washes off after a while. Tattoos have NOTHING to do with morality, and a little body artwork isn’t going to make your child grow up to be immoral. If you want to blame something for your kid being immoral maybe you shouldn’t be scapegoating temporary tattoos but take a look in the mirror, and look at the society they grow up in.

Erin December 28, 2008, 12:56 PM

I find this article slightly sexist - I see just as many teen boys on a beach with lower back tattoos as girls. And are they targeted about tattoos? Of course not.

We sadly still live in a society were girls are viewed as sex objects, even if they do not want to be. For some strange reason if a girl gets a lower back tattoo, they are immediately accused of wanting to show it off to “the guy viewing her behind”.

And the fact that you people are shocked at something as minor as a TEMPORARY TATTOO makes me laugh - if you are THIS stressed about something reversable and harmless NOW, its gonna hit you like a slap on the face later when they decide to get a REAL tattoo when they are older, either out of spite for their parents or simply because its art.

I have one small tattoo on my hip, a little tribal butterfly. I also have 6 ear piercings and a cartlidge piercings. Not to mention four bellybutton piercings. Did I also mention I am 15 years old?

But you know what? I am NOT a tramp, not in the slightest. I simply adore body modification and enjoy being an individual. I have had a great upbringing and a loving family - they are not strict with body modification, but they DO have limits. My brother also has two tattoos on his chest.

I am allowed tattos and piercings which are hidable, and which I can show if I choose to - this is because of school rules and to heighten job oppertunites when I leave.

In conclusion, let your kid have a temporary tattoo - trust me, your kid will NOT develop leporasy or come home with full sleeve tattoos by the age of ten. Give them a little freedom - or they could end up resenting you.

chris April 3, 2009, 8:10 AM

Honestly, if you think this is just about influencing your childs moral, having them think they are a tramp, or anything else silly like that, your stupid. While your logged onto your internet, look up local sex offenders in your city and the ages of some of these girls they molest. I dont see why anyone would want to give these perverted jackoffs any reason to be looking at thier daughter lower back / butt region.

sean October 25, 2009, 10:18 PM

the only reason you have a problem with this is because the mass of america reconizes these tattoos as a bad thing it is a fake tattoo that is put on the lower back it is no different than a ordinary fake tattoo worn on the arm