Celebrity Mom: Proud or Irresponsible?

Melissa Joan Hart's 3-week-old hits the red carpet--and we were afraid to take our newborns to the grocery store!

melissa_joan_hart_and_baby.jpg

TMZ reports that Melissa Joan Hart took her 21-day-old on the red carpet last night which made us wonder: Is that really OK? Two top pediatricians say no.

Mom•Logic contributor and pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson says it's not recommended. "Newborns have extremely immature immune systems, making them highly vulnerable to infection. Most pediatricians recommend that parents avoid crowds, restaurants, malls, airports, and other heavily populated spaces for at least the first 4-6 weeks."

What about those bright lights? Dr. Cara says, "The lights themselves are not dangerous. But if a baby is overheated as a result of being in the spotlight--literally!--for an extended period of time, he can become dehydrated" Friend of Mom•Logic and pediatrician Dr. Gwenn adds that it's important to get the first round of full immunizations before a child is out in a crowd. "This doesn't mean babies can't be out and about--just not in huge crowds like a red carpet!"

What do you think? Is Melissa just a proud mama or totally irresponsible?

next: Return to Work: An Impossible Dream?
JackieMichele April 3, 2008, 3:49 PM

I’m sorry, while most Doctor’s say it’s not okay…let’s really think about how many moms do it. My daughter went to the grocery story when she was 3 days old, the doctor’s office at two weeks (there’s more germs there than anywhere) and was taken where ever I went.

Let’s face it. Not everyone feels the need to stay at home for six weeks after giving birth. She is out and about and not leaving her child with nanny. Good for here. That child is part of her family.

Jen April 3, 2008, 3:51 PM

no, as long as she was the only person with her hands on the little one…I think it’s totally fine!

Anonymous April 3, 2008, 3:51 PM

Look at that poor little baby. Even if it were medically ok, why would you drag your 3-week old down the red carpet????

Sue April 3, 2008, 4:05 PM

Are you people insane? Taking your kid to get groceries is a necessity. Taking your kid to a red carpet event is just stupid.

David April 3, 2008, 4:53 PM

For the love of God, it’s an event for BABIES. Of course she’d bring him.

Anonymous April 3, 2008, 5:14 PM

David- even worse to bring a 3-week old to an event with other kids and babies there. Why take the risk? Is that important to troll the red carpet putting your child at risk?

SuzannaDanna April 3, 2008, 8:17 PM

I have to agree that parading that child at just 3 weeks is old is risky and why take any risk.

Anonymous April 3, 2008, 9:27 PM

People are way too judgmental. If she wants to take him, let her. It’s not your child. She might have just made an appearance and left. Cut her some slack.

mama2 April 3, 2008, 10:01 PM

you bring your child to the dr. befor 6 weeks, I am pretty sure that there are germs there. Anyone who sits home with their baby for 6 weeks is CRAZY. I work in the lab at a ped.s clinic. How do you think babies build up there immune system?

dmac April 3, 2008, 10:20 PM

OMG - 3 weeks after giving birth you I was so ready to get out and talk to adults and it was a baby function so why wouldn’t she bring her baby.

Kelley April 3, 2008, 11:42 PM

How about this concept? Your baby takes precedence over your desire for social interaction. Keep your 3 WEEK OLD home as much as possible. An emergency trip to the grocery store is one thing, a trip down the read carpet is another thing entirely. This is completely irresponsible. I’m not going to say I never took my son out the door prior to him turning 8 weeks old, but I certainly didn’t take him to huge parties, or functions. IF we ran to the drugstore, he stayed in his car seat with the blanket over him to keep any germs off of him. There’s too much focus on what’s good for Mom (getting out) and not what’s good for baby (Staying in).

Katy April 4, 2008, 12:15 AM

Not a big deal, we tkae our kids everywhere with us anyways whats the difrence between, the grocery sotre or a red carpet. there is the same amount of people and ims ure she didnt stay all night anyways

Anonymous April 4, 2008, 1:47 AM

I think this was totally OK. You build and immune system this way and I know my parents had me out at the bowling alley when I was a week old and I’m sure most other people’s parents did to. Why should she be ridiculed for doing what most other parents do; just because it was red carpet event?

bec April 4, 2008, 2:16 AM

I took both of my kids everywhere from the time i left the hospital. Sporting events, shopping, weddings, trips to the inlaws farm. There was no way i was going to be stuck at home. I was cautious, dressing the child appropriatly. But as stated above there are more germs in a drs surgery then anywhere else. Id rather see a hands on parents that brings their child with them, involves them in there lives, then one that hires a nanny and only kisses their kids goodnight. Give her a break, at least shes not drinking, smoking or doing drugs with her kid there. Yes to a point u should work your life around ur baby, but it doesnt have to stop. A child that has everyone work their lives around it is more unsettled, doesnt travel well, and any disrupt into its routine makes it days of hell for the parents. A child that goes out and about from day 1, travels a bit, sees people etc handles routine disrupt well adn falls back into their old routine and any new one extremely well, making life alot easier.

Ryan April 4, 2008, 2:44 AM

It’s amazing the human race has even survived over several thousand years, what with mom’s taking their newborns down the red carpet and all.

Casey April 4, 2008, 10:14 AM

Spell much, moms??

ken April 4, 2008, 10:16 AM

didn’t dump the kid on a babysitter. If you’re gonna paint her as a bad mom, look at the whole picture. Mel seems to be one of the most family oriented moms in Hollywood.
She obviously had a committment to be there. She chose to keep the baby near. And that kids asleep. Seems like Mel laid down the law to the Paps.

Peggy C April 4, 2008, 12:40 PM

What crazy doc is this telling us that our babies shouldn’t go out for 4-6 weeks? LOL. Esp. with my second child, there was no way I could stay at home and live life normally. Now, would I take my kid out on the red carpet? Well, can’t imagine doing that! But hey, more power to her.

jst April 4, 2008, 3:50 PM

I wouldn’t personally bring a 3 week old to a red carpet event but I think she is just a proud mother, it’s her own decision. I do not think she is being irresponsible just leave her alone she loves her kids more than anything.

Amanda April 4, 2008, 6:07 PM

My oldest son went to Wal-Mart with me when he was 4 days old. Granted, I did take extra precautions, like keeping the cover of the stroller up the whole time. I never felt the need to stay home for 4-6 weeks with any of my kids. They are all very healthy and happy. I don’t think she is being irresponsible. Also, if she is breastfeeding, it is probably hard for her to leave a 3 week old baby for any amount of time. She did what she felt is right and everyone should just back off.