Celebrity Mom: Proud or Irresponsible?

Melissa Joan Hart's 3-week-old hits the red carpet--and we were afraid to take our newborns to the grocery store!

melissa_joan_hart_and_baby.jpg

TMZ reports that Melissa Joan Hart took her 21-day-old on the red carpet last night which made us wonder: Is that really OK? Two top pediatricians say no.

Mom•Logic contributor and pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson says it's not recommended. "Newborns have extremely immature immune systems, making them highly vulnerable to infection. Most pediatricians recommend that parents avoid crowds, restaurants, malls, airports, and other heavily populated spaces for at least the first 4-6 weeks."

What about those bright lights? Dr. Carasays, "The lights themselves are not dangerous. But if a baby is overheated as a result of being in the spotlight--literally!--for an extended period of time, he can become dehydrated" Friend of Mom•Logic and pediatricianDr. Gwenn adds that it's important to get the first round of full immunizations before a child is out in a crowd. "This doesn't mean babies can't be out and about--just not in huge crowds like a red carpet!"

What do you think? Is Melissa just a proud mama or totally irresponsible?

next: Return to Work: An Impossible Dream?
Melissa Meisenbach April 4, 2008, 6:42 PM

The drs are correct. Babies do not build up their immune systems until they are 2 motnhs old. As a mother of baby that ended up in the hospital with my 2 week old baby who came down with bacterial menengitis I learned it is not good to take your babies around people until they are 2 months old. We ended up in the hospital for a month. I made sure with my second baby that I kept him away from big crowds and only took him out when necessary. Take it from me I would rather be stuck in my home for a couple months than in the hospital with a baby fighting for his life.

Mom of three April 6, 2008, 1:43 PM

As for me, I think that the baby should have stayed home at 3 weeks. Yes we need to help build our babies immune systems up but there are a lot of germs. My babies doctors office is divided into. One side for sick kids and one for well kids. Not to say that germs can’t still get to them. But at least Melissa doesn’t drive around with her child in her lap or lock herself in a bathroom for hours with her child. Better mom than Britney.. Only my opinion and we are all entitled. But only God can judge.

Keivn April 7, 2008, 1:26 PM

Cute kid…I’d want to show him off too! I agree with others that this is a lot safer than a doctor’s office as far as germs go. And hey, if MJH is up to going out after three weeks then more power to her. We need more sensible people like her taking up the space in the Celebrity/Entertainment section of news outlets everywhere.

Toni April 7, 2008, 5:05 PM

Good for her! I have four grown children and helped to raise many others. My kids went everywhere with me. I just left an elementary school where one of the TA’s gave birth 5 days ago and there she was with the gorgeous baby girl.
Maybe she has chosen to breast feed. The first several weeks after the birth are the toughest for getting a milk supply established. Kudos MJ. If more moms took responsibility for raising their own kids wouldn’t be so messed up!

Ariana April 7, 2008, 5:48 PM

Take into account that it was an expectant mom event and her celebrity status, it seems totally fine. Come on people, if she had attended sans child, then you’d be complaining that she left her 3 week old at home with a sitter.

RainbowMum April 8, 2008, 1:28 PM

Oh pullleeezze. As long as she’s not using the baby as an accessory like a tiny dog in a purse..then what the big deal with her showing off her newborn.

That’s what new moms do.

Mel April 8, 2008, 9:12 PM

We took my son out to dinner the night we can home from the hospital and went to the beach for the first time at 3 weeks old. He was an extremely healthy bottle fed baby dispite all the public places he was taken.

Voice of Reason April 9, 2008, 2:06 PM

This poor woman! If she takes the little one (To a Pea in the Pod event….HELLO??? BABIES!) then she gets criticized, but if she goes without the baby (Nicole Richie’s “crime”), then she is crucified for that too. I am an OB nurse, and I went out! Additionally, do you think that all of those hospital visitors are sterile and germ free? Please, spare me. Leave her alone.

where can i buy thomas sabo charms December 20, 2010, 4:45 PM

Hi, i just thought i’d post and let you know your blogs layout is really messed up on the K-Melonbrowser. Anyhow keep up the good work.