Cheerleaders Ambush, Beat Girl on Video

The aggression began on the Internet, and carried over into real life violence.

It's disturbing when girls spread rumors (aka "slam" each other) on social networking pages. Because of the anonymity of the Web, many teens say and do things online that they never would in person -- which is one reason why it's important to teach your kids about internet safety. But the news about this hate talk escalating to physical assault and violence is beyond horrific.

In Florida, six girls, ages 14 to 17, have been accused of videotaping themselves beating 16-year-old cheerleader Victoria Lindsay for over 30 minutes. And they allegedly had intentions of posting the footage on sites like MySpace and YouTube. (Warning: This video contains graphic violence.)

Lindsay was taken to a hospital by ambulance and treated for a concussion, damage to her left eye and left ear, and numerous bruises. Her six attackers have been arrested and charged with felony battery and false imprisonment.

For these girls, did the false sense of power they felt on the Internet carry over into their everday lives? Is that what gave them the courage to carry out this senseless act of violence? Or have kids always been this violent toward each other, but now they just have the technology to display it?

next: Henry Gordy Recalls Magnetic Dart Boards
Helen April 8, 2008, 3:08 PM

Yeah, ok…how brave are you? 6 against 1? Oh, yeah that’s a fair fight! These girls make me sick and they’re headed to juvenile hall? Good. We’ll see how long they last in there!

Janie April 8, 2008, 3:24 PM

I don’t think Myspace or any social networking sites makes teens more violent—kids have ALWAYS been cruel…we just have the technology to capture it and prove how cruel they can be. Imagine if we didn’t have digital video cams and etc. ? This beating could have happened in the bathroom and the girl would have to prove these girls were the ones who beat her. Now, she doesn’t and those girls will get what they deserve!

AL April 8, 2008, 3:36 PM

I don’t think the internet is to blame, but it does seem to me that girls are growing increasingly more violent. Maybe its the nasty side of womens’ lib but I think that girls are proving they can be just as “tough” as boys by commiting the same types of violence as boys may have in the past.

HennMom April 8, 2008, 3:36 PM

This is just how some girls are.

It is infuriating and sad. I think the worst possible thing that could happen in my life would be to find out that my daughter was capable of something like this. MySpace and YouTube had nothing to do with it.

This just shows how out of control kids are becoming and it scares me more and more everyday because it just seams like people have no fear of authority or consequence.

These girls should be punished to the fullest extent of the law because they are old enough to know better and this is just a preview to the kind of people they will be when they are considered ‘adults’ in a few short years.

Ms. Observation April 8, 2008, 3:57 PM

Hmmmmm…I agree with everyone, especially HennMomm when she said they will be considered ‘adult’ in a few years…scary, but true: Remember Disney mom who beat that woman in line? Yeah. This is where it comes from.

anonymous April 8, 2008, 4:28 PM

this is absolutely ashame. i look at it as their wrong but theyre young adults…………… things like this are amusing to them and other young adults who watch it. they just need some guidance.and yes i do think that youtube makes them even more violent because my son never got in fights at school until one day he slept over his cousins house and they watched kids get jumped and beat up……..so im am a witness

Anonymous April 8, 2008, 5:47 PM

Ok… has anyone ever asked what sort of role models these girl thugs have? Television is more violent in this country than in any other. Do Canadians have MySpace and YouTube? You bet! Europeans? Sure! What they do not have is the media machine that glorifies violence of all kinds. They felt no remorse because they are NUMBED by the violet acts they see in video games, news, prime time TV. Might they have thought what they were doing was ok? I am not saying that they should not be punished because THEY SHOULD but the bigger problem is ever present and the violence will not stop unless we shut off the damn TV!

Sarah April 8, 2008, 6:17 PM

Where are the parents? Parents are not teaching their children how to behave anymore, and it shows. We need Godly parents teaching their children how to live Godly lives. I only hope that these pitiful teenagers will realize what they have done and grow up.

Ananymous  April 8, 2008, 6:27 PM

I think this act of the 6 girls is disgusting and unnacceptable. All of the kids involved need to be punished to the fullest as adults. For those parents that feel the kids shouldn’t be punished for thier actions because they are “children”. Then perhaps…the parents may take some responsibility!!! Someone other than the internet and T.V

I think we need to start holding the parents more accountable for what their children have access to. You can’t blame UTUBE or Myspace. As a parent it is our responisiblity to raise our children and not count on internet and T.V as being babysitters for our “young adults” that are being “influenced” by the garbage they watch. We need to filter A LOT of what our children are watching and are being exposed to.

Anonymous April 8, 2008, 8:10 PM

These girls act like this because that is how their parents act and what they condone. Even the mother whose home this was host too was defending her daughter and saying she was provoked by this lone girl. The old say about the “Fruit not falling far from the tree.” is true in that case.

Todd April 8, 2008, 10:24 PM

I have watched girls and women become more aggressive over the years. I think it is time the women and girls start learning what life is like when not living by laws. I have lived in several cities and have watched girls that are not able to get away with anything. I have seen other instances when girls and women put on the sweetness act. It’s time to start whipping some women good and hard that need it.It will teach the others to find a place and forget about the I am an innocent woman(girl). It works when certain people start knocking the new tough woman(girl) around.

Jim April 8, 2008, 10:57 PM

Put em away in a womens prison and see what a real beating is like! This is premeditation, kidnapping, and assault at it’s best (er worst). I hope that these girls are suspended from school, their records tarnished and somebody beat the crap out of them to see how it feels. eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth- remember that?

erin April 9, 2008, 12:53 AM

The video is horrifying on so many levels and the girls involved should be ashamed and I hope this incident is engraved on their academic and personal records so that any other school, employer, college, community organization, etc. is aware of what they are capable of committing.

The internet does give people a certain sense of anonymity and I think it provides people a false sense of security, as though its a secret they can share online that no one will ever know about or something they can be proud of but not get in trouble for. I do not, however, think the internet is the cause of these problems.

The PARENTS are the real issue. What kind of parental practices do they have at home and how are they raising their daughters that would allow them to do something like this to another girl? Gossiping and rumors is one form of abuse but physically beating another girls takes it to another level.

I do hope there is no leniency involved and that these girls are punished as adults. And the parents should take financial responsibility for the victim’s medical and legal bills.

Michael April 9, 2008, 5:23 AM

I so agree with everyone with how horrible this video is. Despicable doesn’t seem to quite describe how low. On the subject of whether or not YouTube and Myspace make kids more violent I selected to agree that it does, however there is a way that it does that I’m noticing in my own two children that concerns me greatly. Not that they are violent or that violent is realy the correct term to use here, because my two children aren’t violent, by any means.
What I’m seeing is that myspace opens up a more documented ability for kids to keep sending notes or messages to one another like notes used to be passed in class when we were kids. Kids are spending more and more time at the computer and on Myspace instead of actually getting out and doing things productive and today we have cellphones and Myspace, so kids have more contact with each other on a phenominal level than 20 years ago. I believe we are seeing the affects of technology on our kids today spread apart from our generation. More easily explained…My kids are 15 and 16 and I’m 38. I’m seeing a huge difference in them than when I was a teen and saw other teens at that age. With Myspace the interactive ability that kids have with each other in building their circle of friends and constantly being able to talk about who and who said what and what is who doing and so forth creates the potential for incidences such as the video we just witnessed.
Something needs to be done about it and Myspace needs to be changed.
I for one am not going to second guess myself on the subject anymore as I’m agreeing with the victums’ Mother and Dad on doing something about it. For starters, I’m writting Tom, the Myspace creator and demanding that my kids Myspaces are removed and security measure for proving age be put in place preventing teens without concent from Parents to have access. We all should act, because its better to be safe then sorry. Words we’ve all heard!

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 7:45 AM

i can not belived my mom

Ann April 9, 2008, 8:12 AM

I think that the parents of the girl that got beaten should sue the parents of each one involved especially the homeower of the house where it happened. Then maybe parents will understand that if their minor is invovled in a violent act, they are liable for their actions especially if it happens in their home. I think this girls and boys should be tried as adults and put away. They will then see how it really is to be beaten, because you all know that is what is going to happen to them. I hope the yound lady that was beaten, seeks psychological help and that her eye and ear are not damaged for good. I hope and pray that she will be okay after this horrible act. I also agree that MySpace and YouTube should not allow these types of posting on their website. It is hard enough raising kids today, we do not need evil to enter their lives anymore then it already does.

Voice April 9, 2008, 9:04 AM

This was on the Today show this morning and personally I’m lost to the fact that no one has mentioned that this girl doesn’t fight back in a manner that would make us believe that she is fighting for her life.

I fully believe that if I was confronted by multiple people beating on me that I would at least pick up any of the many items in this video and hit someone with it. There is a nice big TV there someone could have been knocked in to etc. Why do I bring this up in the way I am? Well it seems very staged / scripted to me. With kids acting the way they do today why rule out the idea of a hoax gone wrong? They could have easily picked straws etc to find out who was going to get the beating…

Of course the above is simply my opinion based on what little information they have supplied on TV and I think this video / issue needs to be examined a lot more to bring forth the full story.

tina April 9, 2008, 9:11 AM

I would bat those girls over the head with a baseball bat!!!!!!!

brandy April 9, 2008, 9:13 AM

i don’t understand why people are trying to blame myspace. this girl could have written something on the bathroom wall or in a note passed along in class and the same thing would have happened.

Damien April 9, 2008, 9:18 AM

“girls are proving they can be just as “tough” as boys by committing the same types of violence as boys may have in the past”

I agree. Maybe they are simply copying what they are seeing. It’s sad really.

I can’t see any of these girls having the ‘balls’ to fight more than one. Seriously, if I was that girl I would turned into Hannibal and give their mummy’s and daddy’s something to recognize them by.

This is sickening!!