Cheerleaders Ambush, Beat Girl on Video

The aggression began on the Internet, and carried over into real life violence.

It's disturbing when girls spread rumors (aka "slam" each other) on social networking pages. Because of the anonymity of the Web, many teens say and do things online that they never would in person -- which is one reason why it's important to teach your kids about internet safety. But the news about this hate talk escalating to physical assault and violence is beyond horrific.

In Florida, six girls, ages 14 to 17, have been accused of videotaping themselves beating 16-year-old cheerleader Victoria Lindsay for over 30 minutes. And they allegedly had intentions of posting the footage on sites like MySpace and YouTube. (Warning: This video contains graphic violence.)

Lindsay was taken to a hospital by ambulance and treated for a concussion, damage to her left eye and left ear, and numerous bruises. Her six attackers have been arrested and charged with felony battery and false imprisonment.

For these girls, did the false sense of power they felt on the Internet carry over into their everday lives? Is that what gave them the courage to carry out this senseless act of violence? Or have kids always been this violent toward each other, but now they just have the technology to display it?

next: Henry Gordy Recalls Magnetic Dart Boards
reliving my gang beating April 9, 2008, 9:22 AM

Gang beatings have happened for years, I grew up out in the country and in 7th grade my FRIENDS lured me into a bathroom at school to gang beat me senseless because of who my boyfriend was. One of them had a crush on him. I could not see out of both of my eyes, they were swellon shut, I too stood there and allowed my friends to beat me senseless without swinging back. I think that is shock. At 40 i have the fears I did right after it happened. I even married a bully to protect me- wierd- I think these girls will grow into adult versions of what they are now- my beaters certainly did. All are of very low character and content still acting in violence. My heart is with the victim and I know that her life will never be the same again. She may be successful and overcome on the outside but her course is forever changed and YES the parents of everyone of the beaters should pay financially out the nose for not teaching their kids right and wrong. Maybe our society would wake up if there were consequences for the kids and the parents. The internet- just proves who did it.

SV April 9, 2008, 9:33 AM

I hope these girls get sentenced as adults . Even if they only spend one week in Prison, they will see what a really beating is like. The fact that they thought there would be no ramifications to their actions shows that think they are above the law.

Now it’s time to teach these children how the American legal system and prison system works.

Mommy can’t save you behind bars.

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 10:21 AM

I think that this girl got what she deserved because if she hadnt been running her mouth none of this would have happened. Kids need to think before they speak or they must suffer the consequences. If they plan on growing up in the “real world” so to speak then they must be taught a lesson when they are young. She got what she deserved.

Disgusted April 9, 2008, 10:49 AM

Wouldn’t it be the ultimate justice to make their police questioning, trial and hopefully jail time available online?

Greg April 9, 2008, 10:52 AM

Violence in children are caused by a paramiter of issues brought on by adulds, lawmakers and tv , video and film. To correct this issue of violence we as a society need to correct what is acceptable behavior from our childeren from birth to age 18, and to educate them on the cosequence of their behavior for their behavior whehter its a positive thing or a negative thing, when we go back to basics we can start to clean up behavioral attitudes.

Disgusted April 9, 2008, 10:52 AM

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 11:09 AM

There is no way that this girl got what she deserved. If she was running her mouth, then one person should’ve delt with her, not six people. How would you like to be jumped by six people at one time? Unless you’re Chuck Norris or Superman there is no way you could defend yourself. Most people don’t get attacked like that in the “real world”. Those girls need to grow up and realize that what they did was unacceptable no matter how old they are, and they are old enough to know better.

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 11:19 AM

Just got one thing to say I blame the parents who don’t teach their kids morals and don’t blame it on games or tv programs. Loads of kids play them and watch them and turn out fine…it’s p’s me off when people try to blame problems on stuff like that.

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 2:23 PM

to the person who wrote that the girl may be faking, sure, that may be the case. But when i was younger, I was told not to fight back, that the adults would handle it, when you’re backed in a corner sometimes the easiest thing is to protect yourself and hope that it will be over. I’ve learned better than that now, but through high school, you just prayed to get out.

It’s caught on camera. She has the physical bruises and scarring to prove she was attacked. What if she did fight back? broke the TV, ended up killing one of her attackers, is that what it has to come down to? And what then, the owners of the house would sue her. parents would call for jail time for the attacked, she was screwed either way.

Girls are constantly getting conflicting stories, stand up for yourself, but don’t beat someone up. We assume/applaud a fight between boys. A fight during a hockey game, a fight in a football game, a guy steals another’s girlfriend, you’re gonna get into a fight. boys will be boys, and all that BS.

A girl steals another girls bf and we tell her, it’s ok, use your words, there will be other guys. A girl makes a catty remark to another, now don’t do that again sweetie.

this has nothing to do with tv or youtube or myspace. Parents have to get involved and stop involving their kid in activities every hour as a babysitter.

Susie April 9, 2008, 3:32 PM

What is wrong with kids today?

Happymom2two April 9, 2008, 3:34 PM

I’m sorry but yes these maybe young girls but their actions speak louder than words. And maybe if parents had to suffer the same punishements as their children when they don’t act properly, maybe we as parents would start keeping a better eye and stricter rules upong our kids!! If your child gets comunity service for a week for stealing, so should the parents!! Maybe after enough times of that sort of stuff, parents will get the hint to stop being so leanient on their kids and make them ship up and fly right!

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 4:31 PM

That ugly little fat girl hanging flab out of her pink pants (seen on video) is a very jealous angry girl. Watching her beat on the victim resembles a frumpy old mother beating (scolding) on her own child. Some of her gestures on the video look that way to me (the folding of her arms etc.) and I hope she doesn’t grow up to be like that when or if she ever has children of her own. It’s sad

Destiny April 9, 2008, 4:34 PM

I’m young . And I only watched 3 minutes of this video but I couldn’t handle anymore. This girl is getting punched over and over again and there’s 7 other people there and none say anything ? That’s horrible and it makes my stomach twist and turn. These girls think they’re so bad because they wanted to show all of myspace what they were capapble of. and now the poor girl is deaf in one ear and blind in one eye . she wasn’t even fighting back and i strongly disagree internet has nothing to do with it . those kids should be tried as adults because they knew what they were doing and they did nothing to stop it .

DEE April 9, 2008, 4:52 PM

What the heck did she say on my space i cant understand the enormity of the anger if i don’t know what caused it does anyone know what it was she said on myspace

Angela Ost April 9, 2008, 4:52 PM

I’m in agreement of the horrific act that took place. As for where to place the blame? I don’t think there can be any specific place for it. People are shaped by a multitude of circumstances and events. The internet naturally has some influence as does parental or guardian guidance, in addition to peer pressure and the need for acceptance.
Anyone with some knowledge of human nature understands the the “MOB MENTALITY” can influence the sweetest person into becoming someone even their own mother wouldn’t recognize. I don’t know enough (as in their history and how they are on regular basis etc..) about all the girls involved to form an opinion about how they should be punished. But I do indeed feel they as well as their guardians, should be held accountable. Finally but most importantly I will keep all involved in my prayers and ask that others do the same.

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 7:47 PM

People, we are a country at war! Violence is everywhere. Not just on you tube and myspace, but on the evening news each and every night. We live under the rule of a government that promotes violence. This country has the one of the highest numbers of its population living behind bars. Our prisons are overcrowded and yet, very few states still enforce the death penalty for these repeat offenders.

And for some reason no one will even attempt to speak out about how to deal with our own issues at the homeland; regarding the rise of violence in teens, parents at football and soccer games and even the ride we have to and from work. We hear it as kids, the constant need to try to be the best at everything, be number one, WIN, fight till the end! Our society cannot deal with conflict. Our fearless leaders will not wait to talk, speak or debate. No, it is all about who pulls out the guns first and starts throwing the punches.

I am a middle age female who has been beaten down by my own fear of what has become of this society. Early in life, I knew I did not want to bring a child into this world to experience anything like what I had endured. Still to this day, I am unmarried and have no children. To raise a child successfully in this world we have created is not impossible, but more than I can dare to imagine. This vicious cycle of violence must eventually end. It starts with our government and trickles down to parents and on to our children. God bless us all!

D A T April 9, 2008, 10:37 PM

I don’t care what that girl said on the internet, there is absolutely no justification for what those animals did to her. I saw it on tv & all I could think of was if this girl was my daughter & how her mother must feel. I was shocked, saddened & enraged all at the same time. These teenagers & their so called parents need to be punished to the full extent of the law. It’s a shame when parents are too gutless to be parents and instill a sense of right & wrong. Children are not born civilized & this is what happens when parents don’t parent.

Felicia April 9, 2008, 10:42 PM

i believe if the girls were smart enough, the video would’ve been used for evidence of the battery. and it really sucks that even those who quote unquote suppost to be your friends are really the enemies. i’m an aunt to 10 teenagers and u can find out everything that goes on in their life by looking on myspace. im open with my nieces and nephews so i dont have a problem when things are troubling them. but i think jealousy and hate was a main factor in this horrific case

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 11:27 PM

All of the girls and boys who participated should be given the death penalty. This kind of scum must be taken out of the American gene pool. Maybe the death penalty is extreme,but at the very least, they should be severely beaten and made sterile, preferably by members of their victims family.

B April 9, 2008, 11:35 PM

these girls are the meaning of the word PATHETIC.
actually something much lower than that word to which their standards in life will never reach..ever!
6-1? yeahhh all of you are so hardass…why couldnt it be one on one? or why fighting at all thats so trashy, but i guess the way you guys look and dress and talk in this video explains the trashy part for itself.
I really dont think anybody can hel[ any of you…i dont even feel bad for any of those girls whatsoever…
PRISON time wouldve been the best, sucks that your in what?..middle school the youngest 14 ha soo cooll just have to let yall know…hope all SIX of you SCUMMY NASTY girls have a horrible life