Cheerleaders Ambush, Beat Girl on Video

The aggression began on the Internet, and carried over into real life violence.

It's disturbing when girls spread rumors (aka "slam" each other) on social networking pages. Because of the anonymity of the Web, many teens say and do things online that they never would in person -- which is one reason why it's important to teach your kids about internet safety. But the news about this hate talk escalating to physical assault and violence is beyond horrific.

In Florida, six girls, ages 14 to 17, have been accused of videotaping themselves beating 16-year-old cheerleader Victoria Lindsay for over 30 minutes. And they allegedly had intentions of posting the footage on sites like MySpace and YouTube. (Warning: This video contains graphic violence.)

Lindsay was taken to a hospital by ambulance and treated for a concussion, damage to her left eye and left ear, and numerous bruises. Her six attackers have been arrested and charged with felony battery and false imprisonment.

For these girls, did the false sense of power they felt on the Internet carry over into their everday lives? Is that what gave them the courage to carry out this senseless act of violence? Or have kids always been this violent toward each other, but now they just have the technology to display it?

next: Henry Gordy Recalls Magnetic Dart Boards
Matt April 10, 2008, 3:26 AM

I place the blame on both the media, parents, and society.

For those defending YouTube, just go to the search engine, and type in “girl fight”. You’ll get tons of video clips that show girls fighting one another. Some are real fights, and some are staged, but almost anyone can see them. How can these videos not affect some children?

People watch these videos, and the reaction they get from those watching the fight, and some people will want to get attention by filming a fight and putting it on the Internet. It doesn’t surprise me at all that they were planning on posting the video online.

Parents are also to blame because they are ultimately responsible for how their kids grow up. They may not be able to censor what their kids see via the media, but they should teach them the difference between right and wrong.

As a man, I think we sometimes perpetuate this kind of stuff. I’m sure there are a lot of guys out there who’ve seen a girl fight and thought it was cool. I’m guilty of that myself. You watch some of the clips online, and there are usually guys hooting and hollering in the background, and sometimes they give props to the girl who wins. Some young girls crave attention from boys, and if fighting someone else will get them that attention, then why not? I’m not putting this out there to bash my own sex, but I am man enough to admit that we might play a roll as well.

This case is sickening because it was so premeditated and vile. I’ve seen other news clips about this situation and from what the police say, the girls involved aren’t even remorseful about what they did. One parent even blames the girls who was jumped. That’s what’s really sad.

Then again, maybe it was staged and this girl was in on it? Who knows nowadays?

Andrew April 10, 2008, 6:02 AM

I am a bit torn on this subject.
Yes all of the girls involved should be punished severly. Nothing the victim said regardless of how vile it may have been, is reason for what her “friends” did.
Yes the media, internet and parents are partially to blame for the behavior of our children.
But our own government holds 95% of the blame; I as a parent will go to jail for child abuse if I spank my daughter when she “acts up”(I am a survivorof child abuse, so I do know the difference between a spanking and abuse), I put her on restiction and take away her toys and tv privlages and I am branded as a “bad father” for cruel and unusual punishment. I let her have her way and I am a bad father for raising an unrully child.
Until we are allowed to disipline our children (I am not saying beat them into submission)we are going to be a country ruled by fear and gangs.
It is time for the powers that be in this country to give control of the children back to the parents and if the parents can’t or won’t do it, give the children to someone who can and will.
And for all parents to get and keep thier kids far away from myspace and youtube.
Yes I know violence has been a part of human nature since the dawn of man (Cain and Able for instance) but that doesn’t mean we have to put up with it from our kids.
And yes the parents of the attackers are responsible for what their kids did.
If I slip on the ice on your sidewalk, you are getting my hospital bill, your kid maims mine in your house, you are getting the bill.

Liza April 10, 2008, 10:48 AM

I am seventeen, so the generation in question is my own. I use facebook, and used to have a myspace page. I use such resources as a means of getting in touch with my friends, making plans, sharing pictures from vacations etc. I do not know very many people (I don’t think I could name one off-hand) who use facebook as a means to threaten or intimidate other people. Nowhere in this article did it say the cause of the situation was a comment made over the internet, it said the intent was to post the video. If the beating of one child is bad, the beating of any child is bad. I don’t understand how any adults who commented before me can justify their desire for the other girls in the video to be beaten, doesnt that make you just as animalistic as them? Doesn’t that make you the parents setting the bad example? I am not condoning a video of six girls beating up another girl, of course not, but why do you think it has caused all this uproar? It is not a normal thing to do. You can not tell me that myself and all of my friends are the definition of evil because you saw this video on the news nor can you tell me that this never happened when you were young. You didnt see it on the news back then, had a video camera even been invented back then? There was sex and there were drugs and there were gangs and death and fights when you were in high school, my mom has told me over and over again that things had not changed THAT much every time i told her that she just didnt understand. I have never been in a fight, but if I make a video of myself not fighting its not going to make national and international television and you are not going to comment about it on a web page called “mom logic”. I live in Spain this year, and believe it or not there is violence here as well - not a significantly larger country than my home state - New York - there was something like 16 cases of men killing their wives in one month, perhaps it was February. My generation is learning that we are going to have to have to be stronger than ever to make our way in the world - watching the economy fall apart, deceitful politics, a corrupt government, an abused and neglected natural environment, depleted natural resources, and countless other countries waiting for a chance to tear us down. Please look at the big picture, I believe I represent the majority of my generation. If anything we are getting more independant, perceptive,confident and capable, and we have recieved a better and more rigorous education. If we are fighting, its not a physical battle. If you are going to blame the parents of these children, ask yourselves where they went wrong. Perhaps some of them weren’t able to be home enough because it was a struggle to make enough money to support a family. I bet the percentage of American families below the poverty line would surprise you, and even more the number of adults in those families working two jobs. Don’t be ignorant of the current situation, and don’t have a selective memory in regards to your youth. This was a horrible thing to happen, and that is that. It will help nothing to make an example of these girls by watching them be brutally beaten back, there are plenty of us who already know better. I am tired of being hurded into groups based on my sex, age, nationality, hair color, weight, i.q., you name it. There is an exception to every rule, and this event was just that.

Judi April 10, 2008, 10:58 AM

I hope that all the individuals that were age 16 and above are charged as adults in the case, maybe then someone will pay attention. What they did to this girl is outrageous. I feel that everyone involved should serve time in jail or juvenille lock-up.

mickey April 11, 2008, 12:09 AM

lisa GROW UP! you must be related probably inbred You are a piece of trash like the girls who beat on her 6-1 how are those odds?

anonymous April 11, 2008, 1:15 AM

I am a mother of 3 and think that the parents, tv, internet, kids at school, and others are all to blame for the way these girls behaved. I put parents in the firing line first though. We are the ones that are supposed to choose what our kids are exposed to as examples of what is ok and not ok. We are the ones responsible for sitting down and talking with our kids or helping them find someone they feel comfortable talking to, if not us. We are to blame if we have shown our kids abusive relationships that have no consequences. None of this takes money, only time. I dont know anyone, of all the people I know in 2 close cities, welloff and work 2 jobs, that doesnt have at least one day off. This time needs to be spent checking in with our “future presidents”. If their parents can honestly say that they have taken care of all that and these girls are still just out of control, then perhaps therapy all the way around is even more needed than it already appears to be.

Guy April 11, 2008, 1:42 AM

Liza - I am more than twice your age and still have had no success in finding a solution to this situation that makes everyone happy. Perhaps that is the root of Jesus’ admonition that we not fear (read: seek to please) people, but rather fear (read: seek to please) God. Then you only have one person to listen to.

Mickey - how constructive was that?

“Spare the rod and spoil the child” was not a directive, it was a prophecy - that if you do not discipline children and correct them when they err, you spoil them.

This is not to advocate weekly beatings whether merited or not. Rather, it calls for parents to start with verbal correction first; follow that up with deprivation of privileges, if needed; and only after these have failed resort to corporal disciplinary measures. NOT PUNISHMENT!! That is the fine line separating discipline and abuse - always sit and explain to the young person why they are about to receive correction, so that they understand that their own actions have brought this upon them. Once they have come to this understanding - at the time, anyway - it is time to give the correction.

My parents spanked me. God knows how many times. And I did not become a savage, child-beating monster. I was always brought to an understanding that I knew the rules and had broken them anyway. The correction I was about to receive was my own fault. The wonderful thing about all of this was that, when I stopped breaking the rules, the spankings ended! And the lesson was learned.

Let parents parent. Keep the gov’t out of it. If parents are going overboard, let the local community become involved - they are close enough to the matter to have a much better understanding than the federal or state gov’ts.

But let parents parent.

Earnest April 11, 2008, 11:46 AM

These girls need to go to prison. Regardless of what the girl said or did that attack was ridiculous and it made me sick. Maybe spending about 20 years in a cell with some women who really dont care will teach these girls a lesson, that what people say dosen’t matter.

Jerome Cross April 11, 2008, 12:28 PM

Lets see, premediated assault, kidnapping, etc. Lets see how these sweet white girls are treated by the justic system compared to the jena six. I’ll bet everyone of them is at home right now, still bragging. Show me your equal justice for all America

Steve April 11, 2008, 1:28 PM

I think that we need to take a step back and try to clear our minds of all the misconceptions about this case that the media has already instilled.
1. Everyone keeps saying 6 on 1, but from the video clip that we have access to, the primary girl who is responsible for the beating insists on fighting 1 on 1. Since we don’t have access to the rest of the incident, it’s hard to say if this is in fact the case.
2. The victim has ‘some difficulty’ seeing out of her left eye and ‘doesn’t quite hear as well’ from her left ear. Damaging the sense organs is serious business, but let’s not say that she’s now ‘half-blind and half-deaf’. Exaggerating her injuries only makes you seem like you have an agenda.
3. As volatile a situation this is, we need to stop treating it as national news; a girl who didn’t think what she posted on myspace would have any consequences got a mediocre beating by a group of girls who also didn’t think that there would be any consequences to their actions. All the people involved were ignorant to the possibility of consequence, and we as observers just want to see ‘justice served’ so that we can feel that some imaginary force called justice/law will protect us while we passively cower in a corner.
This incident is SO blown out of proportion; the degree of violence here is merely a drop in a bucket compared to the ever prevalent abuse around the world and the U.S.

Pat April 11, 2008, 7:49 PM

Youtube and Myspace to an extent promote this, because it gives the general public one more way to get on camera. It’s bad enough we have The American Karaoke Championships (American Idol) on TV to promote average singers, now we also have Myspace & Youtube.
Solution to this incident:
Try the 6 gals as adults and when found guilty
(1)6 Ropes to hang ‘em all or
(2) 5 years minimum in Adult Prison (general poulation). Option 2 we’ll show them how it feels to get ambushed and have the crap knocked out of them. Option 1 assures us all that those 6 gals won’t be around to commit more crimes.

Sarah April 11, 2008, 10:24 PM

I don’t believe myspace or any website for that matter determines whether or not a person is violent or just a bad person in general. It all depends on the raising of the person the things they were brought up around and how they dealt with them. Now I am not saying that if you live in the worst environment ever that you will turn out the same way because that is not how it works. It is all about the individual themselves. I’m 18 and I had a crappy childhood I don’t go around beating people up. These girls were obviously crazy or had something psychologically wrong with them to do this and then feel no remorse about it.

Cory April 12, 2008, 7:09 AM

Welcome to the real world and this is how it truly unfolds.Myspace is not to blame for the rage teenagers have nor should it be accountable for the videos put on it by any member of society.
These Teens that did this will get a slap on wrist and barely a black mark on their records. This to date is where America as a whole has come to violence and these devlish outbursts have become acceptable and are happening ever so frequently.Sueing their parents for a Teens behavior is just cluttering the courts with matters that if you would give authority back to parents they could provide the proper punishment without having to be put in check by the courts and other goverment agencies.
A parent should not feel (Uncle Sam) is looking over their shoulders when they discipline their own child.
The courts if these involved in the assault will maybe get anger management classes while the rest of us will laugh at the patheticness of our courts and by police who hopefully didnt botch any
evidence that a good defence lawyer could use to let em get away with it .

Dad April 12, 2008, 7:44 AM

It all comes down to the parents. You can justify, pass blame and judge all you want, but if the parents would be parents instead of lazy and “Oh my gosh, I can’t believe my child did this”.
If this would happen to my child, I feel sorry for the parents of the punks. They would be looking over their shoulder for the rest of their lives.
It’s not society, it all starts at home.

Karrie April 12, 2008, 8:15 AM

What ever happened to the saying
“sticks and stones make break my bones,
but names will never hurt me”. What the
heck is wrong with the youth of today.

em April 12, 2008, 8:16 AM

Its not the internet to blame at all. Its just how some girls are and more often than not the violence towards other girls is about something stupid like a comment they said or a face they made. I’m glad these girls made the mistake of filming what they did so they get what they deserve.

Eric April 12, 2008, 9:26 AM

I’m not a Mom, but I am a Dad and if a handful of girls ambushed my daughter and violently beat her in a similar way this girl was done, I just might be in jail myself. Actually, my wife would probably go after them and I can’t say that I would blame her. These girls need to be locked up for a long time. I’m sure the different girls played different roles, but all should be puished equally in my opinion. None of them tried to stop it. None of them tried to say, “enough!” Now, this girl is hurt and it is a real shame. Was permanent damage caused in any way? If so, that is even more of a shame. The families of the attackers should be required to pay a restitution to this young girl. Each one of the girls should spend time in jail and they should also be made to go through Domestic Violence classes for one year. It is a real shame and it should cause all parents to wake up. This violent behavior is everywhere these days.

Steve April 12, 2008, 10:12 AM

I wonder how many of girls parent followed the whole “no spaking disipline” thing. Yes the girls are old enough to know better, but they obivious don’t care about the trouble they migt get into for doing this. Everyone is capable of doing something like this. We all have arms, fists, legs and feet. But some of us were beaten when we were kids, when we acted badly. So we know what can happen when you hit someone. Think about THAT! DON”T be Afraid to disipline your kids!!!! YOU have tp beable to SAY “NO”
Thats my two cents. Now let the soft parents cryout

a conserned friend April 12, 2008, 10:29 AM

I know all of these girls. Infact I used to be best friends with two of them. They were the nicest girls I’ve ever met. Until she met some other girls and then they met this guy…
It’s like they were crushing on him for awhile and decided to youtube some viedos to see how they can impress him. I was at one of they’re houses and we were wathcing youtube she saw something about beating people up and clicked on that. She watched at least ten viedos about the same thing. I told her it was so stupid. She thought it was funny.

That’s when she and her new friends started pretending to like this girl. I never knew why, though. I was invited to the sleepover two days before it happened. I said “No.” I really wanted to but I had to be at my mom’s wedding. I’m glad I didn’t go.

The point I’m trying to say is some girls you would never think would do something like this, but it’s possible. I’m not trying to make excuses, but I don’t think she would have done it before she met those other girls or that guy or watched those viedos on YOUTUBE. Youtube is part of the reason that she did it. I konw for a fact that it is. Two of these girls were my best friends at one point in time. I love them all and am really sorry I didn’t know what they were going to do. If I knew I would have told someone.

Truely sorry that I’m so stupid and didn’t know.

A conserned friend

sc April 12, 2008, 10:31 AM

I am a proud mom of 2 sons ages 16 & 21 who have their anger, just like anyone else, but thankfully know better than to take their anger out on another human being. That is a crime. The sad & disgusting girls in the video are COWARDS to lure this girl into a house & gather a gang around them so they would feel “safe enough” to beat up the girl - out of the public eye & in the privacy of the house. The sad & disgusting girls are also too ignorant of the laws to realize their mistake of filming the event! I hope they all get what they deserve - charged with their crimes, serve time, & get a criminal record. The sad & disgusting girls are mostly jealous & angry. Too bad for them! Time to pay the consequences for thier sad & disgusting actions!