Cheerleaders Ambush, Beat Girl on Video

The aggression began on the Internet, and carried over into real life violence.

It's disturbing when girls spread rumors (aka "slam" each other) on social networking pages. Because of the anonymity of the Web, many teens say and do things online that they never would in person -- which is one reason why it's important to teach your kids about internet safety. But the news about this hate talk escalating to physical assault and violence is beyond horrific.

In Florida, six girls, ages 14 to 17, have been accused of videotaping themselves beating 16-year-old cheerleader Victoria Lindsay for over 30 minutes. And they allegedly had intentions of posting the footage on sites like MySpace and YouTube. (Warning: This video contains graphic violence.)

Lindsay was taken to a hospital by ambulance and treated for a concussion, damage to her left eye and left ear, and numerous bruises. Her six attackers have been arrested and charged with felony battery and false imprisonment.

For these girls, did the false sense of power they felt on the Internet carry over into their everday lives? Is that what gave them the courage to carry out this senseless act of violence? Or have kids always been this violent toward each other, but now they just have the technology to display it?

next: Henry Gordy Recalls Magnetic Dart Boards
melissa April 12, 2008, 11:45 AM

Man I was once in this girls showes but I was 13. I can say I truly know the powerless scared horrifed feeling of this maybe the end of your life, I was beat by a group of 14,16 and 18 yr old girls in the face with males class ring I am 29 now and still yet have nightmares about this and yes I still have knots on my forhead ( cannot see) and back of my head from this trauma and yes we went to the police and all we got was it will be he said she said even though my face was so beaten you could barely recignize me. Those girls need to be tried as an adults and what about attempted murder? How they hit that young lady in the head could of killed her. No it is not myspaces fault it the lack of parenting, I have a teenage daughter and I watch her and her friends like hawks even if my child is not home. I do not allow the head said she said junk in my home not by here or her friends. I keep track what goes on her myspace and I have all passcodes to emails messengers and all… Parents are lazy… that is the jist of it..

Anonymous April 12, 2008, 12:04 PM

To the girl who was a friend of two of the girls. Thank you for coming forth to tell that the girl had watched YOUTUBE and laughed. They all just planned that attack. That poor victim. There are people out there who act mild mannered and are hiding a horrible personality,ie Ted Bundy and others like him. This is a horrible thing to do to a person. BUllY’s, that is what these girls were about. I am still believing that when this country is trying to take God out of the way like has been done, then there will be more of this. If you will read the Bible and instruct your kids in the way they should go, including dicipline and monitoring what they do even as young adults (teens), then maybe they will have a chance to grow up with some morals. We are responsible for our kids and should know what they are doing. I understand people working in this society! But, those kids get some time with these parents. That is the time for teaching morals and teaching kids what is right and wrong. God is made fun of, every movie anymore has a bible saleman for crazy preacher and Hollywood had made Christianity out to be a joke so no one will want any part of Jesus, But, this is going to hance one day. God is not dead and He will expect answers on why this was done, why did we let our children run this society instead of the adults taking responsibility! We are selected as parents to bring these kids up right. So when we ignore God, this is another fruit we will reap! And it is rotten! This society had fallen,and it can’t get up! This is not a joke. When morals go, so goes the country. No one is polite anymore. This is a ME society, all you read and see is teaching people to worry about SELF and make everything about SELF. Sad, what happened to Love thy neighbor? I agree with Liza who is 17 but has a lot of wisdom for her age. But, also that young lady who came and told us about the girls being friends of hers. She knew they were wrong and she knew they did it because of the influence of YOUTUBE. Too many babysitters these days are computerized! TV violence, games and all are affecting our kids. People give and give to kids,all of the latest items! Stop spoiling the kids, they need to get jobs and keep busy instead of having time to attack other kids. The mom whose daughter condoned this attack in her own home needs a little jail time and needs to pay for that victim’s injuries! There is no amount of money that will stop the mental torture she endured. So sad.

Indiana April 12, 2008, 1:18 PM

If that was my daughter beating on another girl like that adult charges would be LEAST of her concerns. Those girls are pigs for doing that to her, no matter what she said about them. Karma and jail time will set them straight.

rbrady April 12, 2008, 1:41 PM

The attorney general of Florida has said these girls will be tried as adults, and so will probably spend the rest of their lives in prison. I say they deserve all they get.

Bobby April 12, 2008, 2:59 PM

Basically we don’t know who we are anymore, we’ve lost our identities. Men aren’t allowed to be men, women are the fastest growing segment of prison population based on their newly cited aggressiveness. Our constitution is abused through false claims that our forefathers wrote it on the basis of “anything goes”. Society has over reacted to every single issue of the 60’s & all the social experiments to right wrongs have failed. The liberal left has taken the power of truth & reality away to make necessary corrections in general. Women now think with just as much with what’s between their legs as a tool of empowerment as men have always been accused of thinking with their d*cks. The slackers are rewarded, the proven are demoted & carry the burden of our social ills. We’ve come along way since the 60’s, it’s just said it’s been downhill. I’m carving a survival nitch out in life & hope to retire to it shortly, good luck to all of you….

pat April 12, 2008, 5:38 PM

To Anonymous on April 12, 12:04pm I agree with much of what you say, especially about taking GOD out of our society or at least some people are trying, anyway. When they took swats out of the school system years ago, that started the discipline problem with kids. I have several friends who are teachers and our school system is a mess! Parents have to learn to say “No” to their kids and not give them everything their little heart desires. Boys need to learn how to become Men and girls need to learn how to become Women. Most of the boys I see growing up now, are selfish, lazy and act like wussys. The girls are self centered, act like princesses, want to meet a man to take care of them and act dumb, like Miss Teen South Carolina who is still trying to figure out how to read maps. The girls believe it’s their world and everyone should just cater to their every need. These kids are the “Generation of Entitlement”, unfortunately. Unfortunately, a lot of this has to do with the parents. I’m 45, male and don’t have kids but I have eyes. My girlfriend has a 25 year old daughter who is so selfish and self centered. She thinks everything should just be planned around her. My girlfriend says “I don’t know how she got this way”. Yeah, ok - duh!!

BELLA April 13, 2008, 2:34 AM

YES! I do believe it was a setup.Those girls knew exactly what they were going to do and when they were going to do it.I don’t believe the victim had anything to do with it.Why would someone purposely get beaten by a bunch of girls,lose vision and hearing on one side of her face.sounds pretty dumb to me.Wether the victim can defend herself or not,I don’t care how good of a fighter you are unless your Sonny Chiba or Bruce Lee you are not about to win a fight against 8 vicious girls unless you have some kind of help. Not to mention that this girl looked like she was 80lbs soakin wet. It is vile and sick what some people will do to get attention. Everyone has their own opinion on what they think should happen to these girls.I think they should be punished harshly for what they did because of the fact that it was definately pre-meditated and done with cruelty and malicious intent.Surely the punishment should fit the crime whatever it may be.Either way there are always consiquences and repercushions to everything you do.They wanted to be famous,now they are!, BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT!

Andrew April 13, 2008, 4:04 AM

comment to “a concerned friend” from 4/12/08;
First of all, thank you for having the courage to come forward, I don’t know if I could have done that were I in your place.
Secondly, please do not think of yourself as stupid for not knowing what would happen that day, there is no one that can truly see into the heart of another or know what is on their mind.
I too am glad you were not there for that for your sake.
Please remember that God loves you.

ME April 13, 2008, 1:25 PM

DON’T THEY HAVE THE DEATH SENTENCE IN FLORDIA

Debbie  April 14, 2008, 12:03 PM

The problem with most kids today is that they are brought up in homes where both parents work and there is not enough supervision. Lack of education on the part of the parents having these kids, wanting to supply them with material things instead of teaching the kids morals and values. These kids need to be punished to the max of what is out there to give them, and shame on the parents saying “well this girl was on the Internet saying things about these girls, so she deserved it”. I don’t think anyone deserves to have six girls beating up one girl. Sounds to me that the mom that stated this needs to take accountability for her daughters actions. She should of been a better role model for her child, and maybe she would not be in the trouble she is now. I am so sick of hearing that the TV or the Internet is to blame for the kids out there doing crimes and violence…maybe if the parents had more on the ball themselves to be more assessable to their child and be there to teach their child the right and wrongs of our society their kid would not be under house arrest now. Look in the mirror mom and dad…the apple does not fall far from the tree.

david wilson April 14, 2008, 2:06 PM

THE ONLY TIME IT SHOULD BE 6 ON 1 IN A FIGHT IS IF U ARE THE MIGHTY MORPHING FreakING POWER RANGERS

skypilot April 14, 2008, 2:58 PM

Yea this is as old as cave drawings. There are 2 major differences, lawyers and the internet. My experience with the gang beating I got from high school, was on advise from my father. He said no one in the school admin cares about your problems, and that has changed either…you need to deal with it yourself. And I did. One at a time I isolated them, and beat the crap out of them. Bullies are a lot less brave when confronted individually. There were no news stories, internet postings, or lawyers, involved and they pretty much left me alone after that. Oh for the good old days…..and wild west justice. The punishment should fit the crime. Unfortunately, we’re so concerned about peoples rights, or the lawyers are, that the bully can operate with impunity. Today the bully’s parent’s would probably sue if their kid comes home with a black eye.

pat April 14, 2008, 11:34 PM

Way to go Dr Phil! Yeah, way to help out by bailing out the Ring Leader of the Cheerleader Ambush. I guess Dr Phil will really compromise anything or anyone for the almighty buck! Probably that plastic wife of his needs another bad boob job! Did you see one of the girls giggling while her bail was set?! No remorse. I say 6 ropes or 6 bullets for each of the girls and let’s be done with this. Tell me Dr Phil, how does that make you feel??!!

cierra April 15, 2008, 11:18 AM

i think that these girls should get the same punishment that they gave the girl. They hurt and emmbarrassed her. That was “of the top”. And She just made a harmless comment about them. She didn’t diserve that. And her family was very well emmbarassed also. and to put it on YouTube? that was specifically Stupid and Uncalled for.

cierra April 15, 2008, 11:22 AM

genaisha April 15, 2008, 11:27 AM

i think that is so wrong why would do somebody like that grls these days realy need jesus. they should have just tlked it out. if i waz her friend i would try 2 try 2 kill them. naw cause im better than that. but that is realy realy wrong…she shouldnt have 2 suffer like that over something realy stupid. and now over something real stupid she cant even go to school i bet she is realy sad that is messed up……. them girl should go 2 jail 4 life and thatz that… point blank

Debbie  April 15, 2008, 8:51 PM

genaisha…I think you need to stay in school or go back to school for English and reading. Why do people attempt to give their views when they can’t even spell. The people of our society are truly messed up now a days. No wonder there is so much crime and murder…there is just to many uneducated people.

anne April 15, 2008, 9:08 PM

um that girl who says people have sex in chapels is a hugeeeeeeee liar, she just did it for attention

Anonymous April 25, 2008, 6:39 AM

still havent seen the video..link anyone?

robert June 3, 2008, 11:25 PM

This happens everywere but these girls acted in a manor that is crimnal. They new what was going to happen. This a lynching at its best, if these girls weren’t minors they would go to jail they’re being and should be charged as adults.The question is where were the parents that owned the house.If they defend these kids for what they did then they are just as quilty as the kids.I mean somebody has to step in and do something.Think about it what will happen when they get into the real world and somebody says somthing about them at work.Everybody you know their ir always somebody at your work that you could really do with out,the brown noiser,or what ever you want to call them.What will they do this right here?They need to have the hammer brought down on them swift and hard to let them know this not how you are supposed to act