Cheerleaders Ambush, Beat Girl on Video

The aggression began on the Internet, and carried over into real life violence.

It's disturbing when girls spread rumors (aka "slam" each other) on social networking pages. Because of the anonymity of the Web, many teens say and do things online that they never would in person -- which is one reason why it's important to teach your kids about internet safety. But the news about this hate talk escalating to physical assault and violence is beyond horrific.

In Florida, six girls, ages 14 to 17, have been accused of videotaping themselves beating 16-year-old cheerleader Victoria Lindsay for over 30 minutes. And they allegedly had intentions of posting the footage on sites like MySpace and YouTube. (Warning: This video contains graphic violence.)

Lindsay was taken to a hospital by ambulance and treated for a concussion, damage to her left eye and left ear, and numerous bruises. Her six attackers have been arrested and charged with felony battery and false imprisonment.

For these girls, did the false sense of power they felt on the Internet carry over into their everday lives? Is that what gave them the courage to carry out this senseless act of violence? Or have kids always been this violent toward each other, but now they just have the technology to display it?

next: Henry Gordy Recalls Magnetic Dart Boards
lu June 6, 2008, 9:50 PM

i think they should go to hell for wut they did f*** you you mother f****** teens. i feel so damn sorry for victoria

lexi June 9, 2008, 12:18 PM

OMG are you serious…
that is so retarededededed…
YOU ARE FAMOUS FOR SOMETHING BAD NOT GOOD AND WHEN YOUR NOT FUNNY

Amanda July 27, 2008, 7:55 PM

I’m 17 and i think what they did was sick and wrong and if my younger sisters ever did anything like this i would hope they would get the full punishment. maybe it will teach them morals. youtube and myspace had nothing to do with it. it was merely means of boasting about what they did. if they did have that, im sure they would have said found another way.

Kristen Leach November 10, 2008, 12:36 PM

MY name is Kristen Leach, and i just this past saterday got into a fight with a girl around my age. Now it was just me and her. The whole reason it started was becasue she was spreading rumors and sayig unnessisary things about me and the people that i was with. No maybe these girls had a reason to beat her up but not all six should have done it. If those girls just beat her up to show on myspace and you tube then they should be charged with all that they did to that poor girl. =(
it is sad to see that that girl was helpless and could not fight back to those six other girls beating her up.

Sarah Jane December 2, 2008, 10:21 AM

Anyone who thinks the internet is to blame really needs to look at how todays youth is. As part of this youth, internet is not even close to the cause of the problem.

TRACY January 2, 2009, 8:20 PM

IF I WERE THAT GIRL I WOULD HAVE RAN AND GOT THE NEAREST WEAPON I COULD AND BEAT THEM. IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE VIDEO THERE WAS SOMETHING BEHIND HER, SHE SHOULOD HAVE GRABBED IT AND STABBED THEM. ITS WAT I WUD HAVE DONE.

Doug February 22, 2009, 10:32 PM

For starters I didn’t get to see the tape but with what I do know it sounds like something from the show Gangland. There are a lot of things that could have a effect here. Now the mother is in jail for parent abuse. Go figure. If you don’t try to spare the rod spoil the child you can go to jail for abuse if the child calls in to the police.I don’t mean you have to beat them but a spanking should not fall into that category. If all you can do is put them in time out then what do you expect from the child. If the main cause of this action was over the internet then what went into their mind when the girls planed all this is we can do this and then put it on u tube and then nobody will mess with us again. They had no thought of what would happen to them when they get caught and didn’t care at the time.This new generation has no respect for others at all.
I will be told that I’m wrong but that is the way I feel. It damn sure didn’t hurt my kids and what they did behind my back didn’t get back to me so I don’t know. I know that they were not a saint but they knew that if it got back to me what would happen. They are grown and have a family of there own and have good jobs to take care of them with out help from the parents.

shabbychic February 22, 2009, 11:58 PM

I definitely feel that youtube and myspace should be fined for allowing such videos to be posted. There should be an internet watch dog monitoring anything to do with violence, especially among teenagers. Once the person is caught, heavy consequences need to be enforced.

Anonymous February 23, 2009, 12:03 AM

Parents are to blame for sure, but these women who committed this crime are ultimately the responsible ones. I am a female strength athlete, and to see that video makes me ashamed for woman, yes I say woman, who think that is a show of power and strength. The martyr here is the victim. The others are weak, spineless criminals… wish I was there to help her….

anonymous February 23, 2009, 10:31 AM

the drama is horrific that goes on in schools ,the kids today have so much for them….no child left behind act…so mom its okay to get an “F”.. threaten with punishment and cps is on your tail..take away the computer cellphones..and see how really angry these teens get i didnt have all that growing up probably why i am shocked to what im seeing and hearing about what goes on

Helen February 23, 2009, 10:36 AM

Violence begats violence. Most of this is what they are used to being exposed to at home. To them it is the norm.

Just Me February 23, 2009, 11:15 AM

I think kids learn what they live and they are a product of their environment. They are only in as much trouble as the people they hang out with. Kids are cruel… Shame on all of them…

Just Me February 23, 2009, 11:23 AM

The Bible says to spare the rod spoil the child… NOT BEAT THE CHILD What comes areound goes around. She’ll get whats coming to her. The children suffer the sins of their parents…

Delia February 23, 2009, 12:08 PM

I am 27 years old and we fought just as rough in school or out of school if not worse.In fact there are still some situations where you have to be just as violent,not everyone can live the stepford lives they all want us to it just depends where you live.MySpace and Youtube just make the cowards braver.

concerned mom March 7, 2009, 11:00 AM

I would like to reach Victoria Linday’s mother (parents). My daughter is 17 and has been a victim of bullying and harassment. Dear God Thankfully she never had to endure the horrible situation Miss Lindsay did. As a parent my husband and I had our own situation to endure with the law while trying to protect our daughter. I would like to reach out to Mrs. Lindsay and other parents. We need to ban together accross this country ( I live in Michigan) and make the laws PROTECT the victims AND their parents. Our children need to feel safe in School and outside of School. The rules should not be different when it involves bullies and stalkers. The victims should not be immediately accused of asking for trouble. I don’t know where to start to get my message out but I just saw this video of Miss Lindsay, and the monsters who attached her, for the first time this week. It was most concerning to watch the “The Ring Leader” smiling while being finger printed. I have my own story to tell about the police not properly taking care of a bullying situation and a school sytem that should have done more to help my daughter and other who were continually bullied by one girl…
I read a few posts before mine. rbrady how do you feel about the verdict? UNBELIEVABLE!! I am afraid that my daughters bully will one day hurt my daughter (even though we have a PPO out against her) or someone else. I am posting this because I want to help other kids and parents and feel we need to come together as victims and make our Legal sytem work for us NOT the offenders…please help.
concerned parent!
p.s. shame on Dr. Phil!!

Sydney March 7, 2009, 10:31 PM

They should have been tried as adults, these were adult actions. Why did they do this in the first place?

Anonymous March 9, 2009, 10:54 PM

wow. I feel bad for that girl. just imagine how paranoid she would be and how she would think of people she didnt know. poor girl D: ugh i cant believe people would do that. Now i hope that if ever they get released from prison that someone beats them the same way. Dont they feel shame? it just makes you think would God forgive them? so sad i could never live with myself after doing that. ew sick sick people out there

Delilah March 10, 2009, 6:42 PM

this is horrible. im young and i would never think of doing this. sure us kids could be violent. but we know when to stop. and giving that girl a concussion was going to fare. not that she even deserved a beating in the first place. this is so sad. it makes me want to beat up the girls that did this to this poor girl. well they deserve everything they get. cause this is always going to haunt them. heartless people.

Shei March 12, 2009, 4:55 PM

I hope their parents are proud of them.

Cheri March 26, 2009, 12:27 PM

To the person who said the video seemed scripted, I think you need to look at how many girls are murdered each year, who never fought back. Some girls don’t know how to fight, or get frozen by fear. Many years ago, I was attacked and I didn’t fight back. I did however scream and someone came to help me. If it wasn’t for that person, I might have been badly hurt, or even killed. This young girl will hopefully fight for her life should she ever be put in a similar position again. I pray she isn’t though, and heals completely.