Emo Kids Under Attack!

Emo kids—who are often described as sensitive teens who favor black and wear their hearts on their sleeves—are being attacked in Mexico

emo_group.jpg

If you've got a Mexican vacation planned, you might want to warn your emo teens to tone it down a notch. Why? Emo kids—those angsty, sensitive, eyeliner-wearing hipster teens and tweens you often see hanging out at Starbucks—are being attacked throughout Mexico and Chile, according to recent reports. The LA Weekly says the attacks are reportedly coming from metal, punk, and rockabilly music fans who dislike the emo look and attitude. Emos have begun to fight back, organizing marches in Guadalajara and Mexico City.

According to Everybody Hurts: An Essential Guide to Emo Culture,
emo is now a cultural phenomenon with its own accompanying language, style, and ideaology. We talked to the authors, Leslie Simon and Trevor Kelley, about what Moms can do to protect their emo kids.

Leslie: I really don't think being emo is anything moms need to protect their kids from. Assuming that the upheaval in Mexico doesn't make its way into the US, all parents really have to worry about with their emo kids is maybe buying their son a pair of girls' jeans while making sure he doesn't leave the straightening iron on. So much of the media has painted emo culture as an underground movement of kids on the verge of violence and possibly suicide. While I don't doubt that many kids who are into emo music and the entire emo lifestyle might in fact be depressed, the two are not mutually exclusive. Emo teens are not necessarily depressed teens, and vice versa. The best thing moms and dads can do is ask questions. Get to know the music and lifestyle your kid is into. It'll pay off
in spades.

Trevor: I would actually encourage parents to have their kids embrace this culture. Leslie and I have met literally thousands of these kids over the years. They are GOOD kids. It's just that the media is fascinated with certain things
they do. But, really, these are good kids who are just interested in expressing themselves through things like blogs and, perhaps most famously,
their wardrobes.

Are you the Mom of an emo tween or teen? Tell us about it.

next: Why Don't You Adopt From Here?
Joan April 4, 2008, 12:26 PM

No, my kids are not “emo,” but I’m glad Mom Logic has brought this up because I kept hearing the word alot, so thanks :)

Anonymous April 4, 2008, 2:02 PM

My son is “emo.” I was “goth” as a teen so I guess it shouldn’t surprise me. And yes we share eyeliner!

Salina April 4, 2008, 2:52 PM

“Goth,” “Emo”…funny how, like fashion, names change, but the mind set is still the same! :)

Charnele April 14, 2008, 2:37 PM

“EMO” I think itz kinda neat but im not emo im juss a regualar girl. I think EMO is pretty neat i wanna be emo but im tryna see what i need to do first.

Rachel April 25, 2008, 5:35 PM

Charnele? You want to be emo because you think it sounds cool? I dont that just sounds so odd to me. I sometimes get called emo but its not something i planned or wanted. When people see you doing certain things or hanging out with people they consider emo for whatever reason your instanly emo. I think its weird i dont consider myself emo.But I dont agree with them being attacked at all there is no good reason for hurting other people.

Samy July 31, 2008, 4:46 PM

My 17-year old daughter is “emo”. She has blue hair and dresses in the emo style. She is also bisexual, which I’ve heard is a trend of the emo movement. She wants to get facial piercings but I’ve told her to wait until she is 18. I don’t see this “emo” thing as harmful in any way, I don’t see why it’s percieved as a threat.
Any thoughts?

Sarah March 2, 2009, 2:23 PM

You are a poser if you just “decide” to be emo, because real emo people don’t just “decide”. They’re emotional, so they sart cutting themselves and wearing black. And you aren’t emo unless you cut urself. If you just dress emo, you are scene or straight edge.

Emma March 2, 2010, 2:29 PM

I’m the mother of an “emo” child, she really disturbs me sometimes. She’s bisexual, but she doesn’t know I know and doesn’t want me to know. We’re constantle fighting, she wants a fringe and black & red hair, but I want it to be curly and her natural blonde, she wants to doodle on herself with sharpies, I want her to wear a pink sundress. She is obsessed with Hot Topic and Spencer’s and won’t step foot in Aeropostle or Hollister. Any advice for my little emo tween?

Jackie March 26, 2010, 5:23 PM

My daughter is emo and she cuts herself. I think this has led her to go to her current therapist which she sees every Thrusday. She dresses mainly in all black clothing, with tight pants, and lots of clothing from Hot Topic. My husband and I are christian and we want her to be but she wants nothing to do with our lifestyle. She wants to get all these piercings and neon highlights in her hair and she already dyes it black. Her friends are not good, and I think she will get pressured into doing things she will regret later. She has tried smoking and drugs before and it worries my husband and I very much. She has a girlfriend and she thinks she loves her but I know this is something she will grow out of. I don’t know what to do, she is emo and out of control. Do any parents have adivce? Ground doesn’t work because she sneaks out at night. We have tried taking away her music and iPod and computer and TV but she still does the same things at her friend’s houses. What do we do???

kimberly April 7, 2010, 3:24 PM

im emo and it perfectly fine im 15 and my parents think i am angery because i have had anger issues and i use 2 be a girly girl until i was 13 and i didnt feel rite and i found my look and my parent are scared i have a therapist and a councler and i can explain to them im fine im bipolor the that y i have a therapist and they think i went emo because i was emo i dont know any other way to tell them im ok i have my on and off days because im bipolor what should i do how should i tell them

Pebbles April 16, 2010, 7:31 AM

Are you people freaking insane!? Do you not realize how bad most of the “trends” are? Bisexual kids, the piercings the tattoos.. and the more extreme. “Yeah thats exactly what I want my kid to be like!” You guys are morons!

Alyssa July 19, 2010, 7:26 PM

People call me emo,but I don’t cut myself,I’m slightly depressed but I act pretty happy sometimes (I think people can tell though).Emo people are completely OK,chances are,they’d probably be bisexual even if they weren’t emo.Have yall parents talked to ur kid about their life?If u don’t want them to be emo,talk to them,don’t try and make them become what you want them to be because that will make them more emotional and,truth is,they’ll probably just get even more emo.

Alex July 23, 2010, 3:25 PM

I’m 13 and emo. I think it’s SO stupid that parents are worried about us emo kids. Most of us don’t have ppiercings, cut our selves, or do drugs and stuff. I’m actually a christian. And I believe that there is such thing as an emo christian. Don’t worry about you kids. Gosh people! Let your kids have their own lives. AND i am going to be emo as long as i can.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 5:34 PM

Great article. Nice to read. There is a single observation to offer about shirts.

Immobilier Bretagne March 7, 2011, 7:08 AM

I wish to show thanks to the writer just for bailing me out of this type of scenario. Because of surfing through the the web and coming across ideas which were not powerful, I thought my entire life was done. Being alive without the solutions to the problems you have solved all through the short post is a crucial case, and ones which could have adversely affected my career if I had not come across your site. Your primary capability and kindness in playing with all the things was vital. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t come upon such a stuff like this. I am able to at this point look ahead to my future. Thanks very much for the skilled and result oriented guide. I will not hesitate to propose the website to any person who requires support on this area.