My Pretty Little Man

Mom•Logic's Andrea: The recent "Pregnant Man" controversy makes me think--What if, someday, my little girl wants to be a boy?

mustachelily.jpg

While the debate rages on whether Thomas Beatie, a transgender, can really be considered a man if he's pregnant, the fact still remains, at one time, Thomas Beattie was someone's little girl.

About Beatie's delicate condition, his family has publicly said the child will be "a monster." How sad his family has rejected him (and his unborn child). But it's hard to imagine what I would do if years from now my daughter announced she was off to Mexico for a sex-change operation.

It's easy to write of the whole Thomas Beatie saga as weird, but what would you do if it was your daughter?

next: Spring Break Confessions Part 2: Risky Sex
Kristi H. April 5, 2008, 11:51 AM

As a mother of 2 little girls myself….i cant say that if my child went to Mexico or wherever for a sex change..i would respect that. I would refer to her as my son and use the name that they chose. As parents we are here to support our children and guide them..when they are of age our role changes somewhat and i understand that. In my home we are an open family, as i am bi-sexual myself and my chilrens aunt and 2 cousins are lesbians. If my children chose to be something i didnt lead them into then its their decision and i will respect that fully. We cant decide who they will be..only guide them. I dont see anything wrong with a person choosing who they are…that inlcludes my children.

jackyyyy April 5, 2008, 12:05 PM

I dont see why you cant change yourself
you are what you want to be. OUt of all people your family should be t he one that sould be by your side supporting you because if they dont
no one else will. Even if we chose how they wna be they would go behind and do it anyways we just have to repect for they they want to be. we cant decide for them or judge them we are suppose to love them forwho they are.

nick April 6, 2008, 3:36 AM

you are born a man or a woman. is everyone taking crazy pills? this is not a matter of choice!

i would never rise a child in such a manner that there would be confusion as to their sex.

Sara April 6, 2008, 12:15 PM

I would direct your attention to a book, just re-released, about Danielle and her Mom … it’s a wonderful read for all of us parents who try every day to be the best we can be in loving, supporting, and guiding our children … It’s available on Amazon.com and is called “Mom, I Need To Be a Girl” …

As for me … I’m a fully transitioned transexual woman with two amazing young adult daughters … once a parent always a parent …

Rita R. April 6, 2008, 12:22 PM

April 6,2008 11:30 AM

There is no right or wrong answer to what is happening in our ever changing world.
This women felt a need to express who she was and become a man, but yet a deeper need and disire to give birth and left her reproductive organs in tack. For what ever reason, only she or he and his spouse who or what ever that persons gender is must understand the complications that will arise.
I am interested to follow what happens to the birth of a child in this situation to understand how the public reacts.
This is not a mirical,this is a freak of nature.
UNUSUAL THINGS HAPPEN EVERYDAY, this is one of them.
May god bless them and keep them safe, and surround them with love and understanding friends and family for they will need support, because of wispers, finger pointing ,comments and rejection.
Lets move on to the real world problems, or is this one we have created just like all the other ones.

edithbella April 6, 2008, 5:31 PM

“This is not a mirical,this is a freak of nature.”
Actually it is not a miracle or a freak of nature. It is a “manmade” freak. This person is a woman who has taken hormones and mutilated her body. Anyone could do the same, but why.

Bethany May 8, 2008, 1:55 AM

No matter what anyone says, the child will not be a monster. The baby growing inside of this confused person is indeed a miracle, just because she exists, not because of who she exists in. All children a miracle from God.
Also, we’re all made the way we are for a reason. To fill rolls as women and men, and I don’t mean, “all women must stay at home have long hair and wear dresses,” I mean, women are wired in a certain way that makes us nourishing and loving, and I don’t see that it’s any different for this person, even after the sex change. She’s confused, indeed, by the world of sin that we live in. Yes, our world is corrupted, and that’s why “unusual” things happen every day.
God loves both, mother and child, and so should everyone around them. But the sinful nature of her confusion should not be tossed aside. She was created as a woman, and should not have tried to be something else.

Lia May 12, 2008, 4:35 PM

I’m not a mother, I’m fifteen. I was born physically female, but I prefer to live without gender. Sex and gender are two completely different things and I choose to live without gender. I have short hair and usually dress masculine, but some days decide to dress feminine. Gender is all about interpretation. I am androgynous, I am gay, but that does not make me who I am.

naddy June 8, 2008, 9:37 PM

i can accept that people need to do what they need to do and that’s wonderful for them, but what about the daughter? hows she going to handle it?

Darlana November 1, 2008, 3:50 AM

Only people who have the desire to be of the opposite gender can understand what we go through-starting at 12 years old. I balance my life as both male and female and love both roles, but would prefer female.Unfortunately our culture while coming a long way for transgendered people still isn’t ready to accept what it doesn’t fully understand.
Darlana

Anonymous February 9, 2009, 1:16 AM

it is not acceptable to society cause people discriminate against anything that is not right . Be who you are!not what you feel you should be!!!!!!!

june wedding colors for 2011 January 14, 2011, 11:19 PM

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Marisha Hairell February 1, 2011, 4:28 PM

I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to achieve my goals. I absolutely liked reading all that is posted on your site.Keep the stories coming. I liked it

Raphael Schoettmer February 20, 2011, 8:10 PM

There is clearly a lot to identify about this. I believe you made certain nice points in features also.

Wholesale D&G Handbags March 24, 2011, 8:34 PM

Great knowledge, I value all of these opinions. All and sundry needs to sensible of unbidden to extract themselves open-handedly

Air Jordan 9 March 26, 2011, 6:07 PM

Here’s hoping there’s a a ton more top-notch earthly coming!

peach faced lovebirds as pets 2 March 28, 2011, 7:39 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

Hans Meidinger March 29, 2011, 3:38 PM

I’m still learning from you, but I’m making my way to the top as well. I certainly enjoy reading everything that is written on your site.Keep the tips coming. I enjoyed it

Air Jordan 4 March 30, 2011, 8:23 PM

I read your orientation frequently and I well-deserved thought I’d pronounce have up the salubrious available!

Keith Magnuson Jersey March 31, 2011, 8:14 PM

Easy to need methods that definitely gala, appreciation again!