Art Teacher Beaten on MySpace

She is petrified to return to school after being attacked by a student.

First the cheerleader beating...now this? This morning on Today, Matt Lauer talked to Jolita Berry, the Baltimore high school teacher who was attacked at school by a student while the rest of the class watched and cheered. One student even captured the beating on a cell phone cam and posted the disturbing video on MySpace.

videogonebutton.jpgAlthough the student who attacked her has been suspended, the teacher says she is petrified to go back to work. Marietta English, the president of the Baltimore teachers' union, told NBC News that students in that particular school "know that there are no consequences for their behavior, so they are pretty much running the school."

Ross Ellis, founder and C.E.O. of Love Our Children USA, says the escalating images of shool violence online is becoming a copy cat situation.

"Students see these videos and they copy them thinking it's cool. It's time to teach students that it's cool to be kind and compassionate, and it's uncool for them to be violent and malicious. To be in the spotlight on the Internet will negatively impact their future. Students must stop and think about the consequences, and parents and educators must get involved in communicating to their children that this behavior is not acceptable."

Should the kids who watched be punished just as severely as the kids who beat the teacher?

For other examples of school beatings your kids may be watching online, click below. (Warning: This footage is graphic.)

generation_youtube1.jpggeneration_youtube2.jpggeneration_youtube3.jpg

next: From Exotic Entertainer to Teacher
Dawn Holt April 10, 2008, 12:21 PM

The saddest part of these video taped beatings is that they show a blatant lack of respect for peers and adults. When did parents stop teaching their kids respect? It is hurtful to know that we live in a society where people don’t know the true meaning of respect. What has happened to our schools? Our families? I can remember being in school and actually respecting a teacher enough (even if I did not like her) to take her criticism and move on. When did it become the place of children to “rule” every aspect of society? I personally think it comes from a lack of discipline. We reward our children instead of disciplining them. I for one think my parents did a great job at raising four children and so I use their method. I spank my children and I punish them when they need it. Needless to say, almost everyone who meets my children comment on how well mannered and well behaved they are. Why are we as a society scared to admit that liberal parenting does not make good upstanding citizens out of our children. If these children were disciplined at home (and I don’t mean beatings or abuse) then they would not be beating up girls from their school or teachers in their classes. Wake up America—today’s youth need a make-over! One that means they have to obey the rules and have respect for people.

Anonymous April 10, 2008, 12:22 PM

Yes, they should be disciplined. Probably as severely as the student that attacked the teacher. These children will not grow up to be good citizens. I am terribly concerned about the fact that beating someone appears to be acceptable. Violence is not the way to handle any situation. Witnessing violence and failing to render aid is also wrong. The fact that they watched, and videotaped, I believe makes them an accomplice to the crime. The behavior of all the students watching and the one attacking is immoral, let alone criminal.

JJ April 10, 2008, 1:59 PM

The entire human history is written in violence! Adults are violent! We have wars , genocide, humans allow other humans to starve to death, wee have also seen on youtube police beatings and tasers used, many oparents use violence (spankings) to raise and discipline their children.

Public schools use psycholoical violence on students and teachers.

Until adults buck up and end violence, we cannot expect children not to solve their problems using violence. The war in Iraq is example. Adults set the example.

Religions have used violence to oppress, repress and surpress others.

Humans are just plain violent.

GetSerious April 10, 2008, 3:10 PM

It should never get to where the kid is beating up someone. Educators’ response should be triggered by much lower levels of misbehavior (think: New York City curbed crime by getting tough on graffiti).

We have created a culture where violence is the norm, by failing to parent (how likely is it that that violent girl has a father???), by looking the other way whan a kid misbehaves, or by punishing overly severely (the teen mother hyperdisciplinarian syndrome), and by expecting too little and selling “self-esteem.” Sociopaths have lots of self-esteem.

We can drastically change this sick culture if we want to: show girls it’s not ok to get pregnant at 16, teach respect before we teach “self-esteem,” cut down on your crap purchases and spend more time with your kids, know who their friends are. If you are a parent, don’t be a knucklehead, you are too old for that.

SingleMom April 10, 2008, 3:42 PM

Get Serious, HOW DARE YOU blame all this on single parents? I was a single mother and I can guarantee you that I did not tell my daughter it was ok to fight or extract revenge in the way these kids are doing…and my daughter was bullied by kids with two parents in the house! Just because there is a father in the house, it doesn’t mean kids can’t or won’t be bad! Spare us the right wing judgmentalness here, ok?

Lizzie April 10, 2008, 6:34 PM

It does not matter whether a child is from a single parent home or a two parent home. What matters is a teacher was assualted and now is afraid to return to the classroom. Our classrooms are becoming more and more violent. We all know we don’t feel safe at the mall at dark, alone while jogging …but at school? Teachers and students alike should be able to learn in an safe place.

emma April 10, 2008, 7:01 PM

parents in general (not all of them) have become extremely LAX in how they raise their kids. there is NO respect for elders at all anymore. this one woman i babysat for allowed her children to call my parents by their first names and my dad has his doctorate so this drove him crazy. my sisters and i have never spoken to this woman or her husband without the title mr. and mrs. yet her children addressed MY parents by their first names. ridiculous. and without corporal punishment in schools, kids act like animals. it’s pathetic. because education is free, it is taken for granted as a babysitting service and the poor adults working in schools K-6 have to put up with low pay, horrible facilities, and brats.

Susie April 11, 2008, 12:06 PM

I agree with emma. Parents just don’t know how to raise kids anymore. Go to any store and see kids of all ages acting like brats and their parents cannot or don’t make an effort to control them.

Dee April 11, 2008, 2:49 PM

I don’t think the kid that took the video should be charged at all. He/she did the same thing our news reporters do in war…film the “war”.

Without the video, it would be a he-said, she-said…now there is video evidence thanks to the student who filmed it.

Teachers need to have the same protection as law enforcement officers, you TOUCH them, then you should be charged with a high crime!

Jail Supervisor April 11, 2008, 7:20 PM

Part of my job is dealing with kids like those we saw beat this teacher and beat that cheerleader and I can honestly say 99% of the time it’s the parents fault and having a father in the home DOESN’T guarantee your child WON’T becoming a monster. This isn’t generation YouTube…this is Generation Monster and lax parents are too blame. All day long myself and my team have to work with teens who even much worse than what Mom Logic has posted here and they got that way because they LACKED STRUCTURE. These kids have never been told what is acceptable behavior, have been allowed to disrespect their parents, teachers and anyone else in their way…they often end up committing crimes of sex, drugs and violence only to end up with ME and my staff who have to teach them so late in life what respect and boundaries mean. THAT isn’t something these kids should be hearing for the first time and yet they are. This structure is a parent’s responsibility pure and simple. And now as a society, we are paying for it because ADULTS…PARENTS refuse to accept the fact that you brought these kids into the world so it does and always will start at HOME WITH YOU. If we can fix that, ONLY THEN will it be reflected upwards into society. We can’t be backwards and ask society, school and government to parent our kids.

Mark April 11, 2008, 11:33 PM

All I can say is, this is the outcome of “Trash” having kids! I am desparately awaiting for some punk tough guy wanna be to pull something like this with one of my family members. Trash like these punks are looking for their five minutes of fame, “Well then you &%^$#en cowards” I’m waiting, I’ll give you and your trash parents the fame your looking for”!! Oh I know, “let the Police handle trash like this” Yeah right, “Ok son, your in big trouble now, we’re going to slap you on the wrist, give you a place to sleep, eat and hangout for awhile, then we’ll return you back to what you were trying to accomplish before we enterupted you”…. Thanks but no thanks, I am looking forward to handling it on my own, but don’t worry, I’ll call you to come and clean up the mess and notify the next of kin. There is no way to reform for trash like this, how can the legal system think we’re so ignorant? Cowardly acts like this are happening more & more. It’s time we stop wasting money on putting trash like this behind bars (just to have them get out and return to their cowardly deed) and start inflicting our own method of punishment.

“FED-UP”

Mark April 11, 2008, 11:35 PM

“FED-UP”

phlebotomist salary September 20, 2010, 1:28 AM

How do i subscribe via rss feed.

Rusty Paoletta December 14, 2010, 12:44 AM

thank you so much for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of info in such a complete way of writing?

Johnathon Mckeighan December 15, 2010, 8:26 PM

There are many tests to something what is exciting for me?.? thank you so much. Its good to hear from someone who has been in the same shoes.