Mom Teaches Kids about the Other F-Word

Mom•Logic's Julie: New study finds "fatism" is more widespread than racism.

fat_person.jpg

"Fat" is a bad word in my house. So when I read the new study that found weight discrimination occurs more frequently than race, age, or gender discrimination, it just reinforced my belief that kids should never use this word under any circumstances.

Although my husband is fit and trim now, he was a chubby kid growing up. So we're particularly sensitive when people call others fat. My husband knows how hurtful that word was to him as a child--how it cut like a knife every time it was aimed directly at him. So, from birth, we have taught our kids never to use the word "fat" no matter what.

A few weeks ago, my 7-year-old son told me that he knew how to spell the F-word. I was a little nervous until he said F-A-T. I smiled, feeling pretty good about myself and my parenting skills...that is, until he added, "I also know how to spell the OTHER F-word: F-*-*-K!" Oops. I guess I'm not as perfect as I thought. Oh well--at least I try.

Is fat a bad word in your house?

next: Extreme Home Schooling
dulce303 April 5, 2008, 8:11 PM

My husband uses the F-word all the time in context to my one son’s over eating. I tell him to stop saying that “its going to give the kid a complex”. But like Julie’s husband, my man was a chubby kid, he thinks it was because he over ate as a child and not due to genetics. It’s tough, one hand you have to regulate your child’s consumption, but on the other you don’t want him to have a complex. Anyone suggest another way of explaining healthy moderate eating and body shape?

kllace April 6, 2008, 12:45 AM

This is a joke right? What’s the next “bad” word - dumb? As obesity continues to rise and children are developing weight-related diseases that once were only found in adults, maybe fat SHOULD be a bad word.

Issac Maez March 13, 2011, 3:25 PM

I really wanted to make a small note in order to thank you for all the marvelous facts you are writing on this website. My incredibly long internet lookup has at the end been rewarded with high-quality information to go over with my guests. I would tell you that we website visitors are rather endowed to exist in a fabulous site with many awesome professionals with beneficial tips and hints. I feel pretty lucky to have used your website page and look forward to tons of more entertaining times reading here. Thank you again for a lot of things.

sex erotik April 3, 2011, 3:18 PM

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

Zdjecia April 8, 2011, 5:12 PM

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

adult sikis April 8, 2011, 7:17 PM

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too great. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great web site.